Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Laird of Dunans Castle
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one's for Cro-Magnon Man, Auroranut, and McDougall...guys, I owe all of you.

The resto starts out in England, with an original Aurora glow Hunchback in the hands of Cro-Magnon Man...who passed it on downunder to our resident Auroranut. Chris asked me if I'd like to tackle restoring the unfortunate Hunchback of Notre-Dame...and who am I to say no to that? So within a couple of weeks a package from Australia was in my hands, and I was looking at this:

DSC03349.JPG

DSC03345.JPG

DSC03346.JPG

DSC03347.JPG

DSC03348.JPG

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
I'm looking forwards to seeing how Quasi comes up mate.
He's travelled a long way for this.....:p

Chris.:)

·
Laird of Dunans Castle
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, you'd think he'd get some kind of perks... :tongue:

·
Laird of Dunans Castle
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As you may have noticed, one arm is missing and some of the ropes...and I think whoever built this originally took a lesson from what my cousin did to my Superboy kit waaaaay back in the Dim Time and glued the hand to the wrong arm...so on advice from A-nut I put a WTB ad in the Model Swap and Sell forum...our own McDougall told me to put my wallet away and said he'd send me the missing parts...so within a week I was looking at THIS:

DSC03358.JPG

DSC03354.JPG

DSC03355.JPG

DSC03353.JPG

DSC03352.JPG

·
Laird of Dunans Castle
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's right, frenzied neighbors, McDee sent me a COMPLETE original Aurora Hunchback...and on his advice, I'm using the kit from Cro-Mag and A-Nut mainly with the parts I needed to replace courtesy of McDee. So now we have four countries involved in this project!
First batch of parts in a Super Clean bath:

DSC03350.JPG

...and just for giggles, here's a box size comparison between classic Aurora and R2/PL's latest issue:

DSC03365.JPG

BTW, if anybody out there may need some original Aurora Hunchback parts, PM me...

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Is Denis the coolest of the cool or what James?!??:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
I've got one of his "calling cards" too. They're a great idea.
That Super Clean looks good enough to drink. What flavour is it?...

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
McDee is indeed a gentleman and a scholar. I am really looking forward to your WIPs, discussion, and multiple shots of the completed kit. Have some fun!

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's right, frenzied neighbors, McDee sent me a COMPLETE original Aurora Hunchback...and on his advice, I'm using the kit from Cro-Mag and A-Nut mainly with the parts I needed to replace courtesy of McDee. So now we have four countries involved in this project!
First batch of parts in a Super Clean bath:

View attachment 157609

...and just for giggles, here's a box size comparison between classic Aurora and R2/PL's latest issue:

View attachment 157610

BTW, if anybody out there may need some original Aurora Hunchback parts, PM me...
Save them and make sat least one copy of everything (silicon molds, etc). You could help otherswho need Hunchback parts.

·
Premium Member
7,148 Posts
Hi Mustanger...and welcome to HobbyTalk.
The idea is to complete the Original kits missing parts, with Original parts, The Polar Lights 'Bellringer' and the New repop Glow in the Dark Hunchback kits are readily availible and probably cheaper than it would cost you to cast your own parts.:p
Hey James ...Glad you are enjoying this Multi National Quasimodo:thumbsup:
...a great Team effort here:thumbsup:
Can't wait to see more progress pictures!
...and thanks for all the nice words guys...but lets not forget it's just plastic and cardboard...(albeit cool plastic and cardboard);)
Cheers Gang!
Denis

·
Laird of Dunans Castle
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
...and thanks for all the nice words guys...but lets not forget it's just plastic and cardboard...(albeit cool plastic and cardboard);)
Cheers Gang!
Denis
...and they're words from our styrene hearts, Denis me lad...

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Cheers Gang!
Denis
You've earned those words Denis.:) Not just with your generosity but with all the other ways you've helped modellers and kit producers.
It's not just plastic and cardboard mate- there's all the friendships that go along with it.
My ex wife was just flesh and bone but she had her uses.....:p

·
Curmudgeon
6,614 Posts
...and thanks for all the nice words guys...but lets not forget it's just plastic and cardboard...
How dare you belittle and demean our beloved hobby with such a statement! Blasphemer!!! :devil:

But seriously, what a terrific project! With so many esteemed modelers involved it's sure to be a success. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Esteemed???:drunk:
Hey Denis, I think someone's been drinking the bongwater.....

Chris.:p

·
Premium Member
7,148 Posts
How dare you belittle and demean our beloved hobby with such a statement! Blasphemer!!! :devil:

But seriously, what a terrific project! With so many esteemed modelers involved it's sure to be a success. :thumbsup:
I thought that would get the BLOOD BOILING:lol:....
but lets not forget it's just plastic and cardboard... is as ludicrous as saying the Mona Lisa is just 'canvas and oil paint'...
....and having said that I refuse to mix Bongwater and Scotch any longer!
(from now on I'll chase the Scotch with Bongwater...yeah that ought to do it:freak:)Thanks for that tip Chris:thumbsup:
...all seriousness aside...This looks like it's turning into a very cool and fun project!...but more international help would be great...how about paint and glue from all around the world!...just saying....
Cheers all !
Denis

·
Laird of Dunans Castle
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And now...with the addition of McDee's parts, here we have it:

DSC03367.JPG

Next week, the removal of the glue begins...from what I'm seeing, it'll be easier to do some glue removal, then reglue some subassemblies, then remoe the rest of the glue. Stay tuned...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts