Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this OH5 variation a few weeks ago @ Ralphs and decided to free it tonight only to find the right side tampos sliding. :( And there's a growth in the wheel well too! :mad:

Nice Side:

Slider Side:

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I had something similar happen to me recently. I picked up the 2012 FTE Mazda Furai, and when I got it home, I discovered it had a hole in the top of the left quarter-panel! My green '73 Trans Am has a flaw in the roof paint, but I can live with that one.

They must have been made on Mondays. Though the "growth" in the rear fender opening could probably be removed if you're of a mind.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd get another one if I could find it! Seems like these are pretty hard to find and folks are charging quite a bit for them on eBay. Oh well.

I took a flat head screwdriver and a hammer to the "growth" and it snapped off cleanly. Meh, it's good enough.

Can't wait to meet up with my buddy to get the red and yellow versions (Speed Machines) to match up with my ZAMAC one!

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Been there, done that. It's all part of why I barely buy mainlines anymore.

Speaking of holes in cars, I bought this one a while back. I gave the tampos a good inspection but didn't check over the top of the car so I can really only blame myself for buying it. It has made me not buy another of that casting though. Every time I see the casting, it makes me think of the hole and makes me not want it lol.

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Beware of falling debris.

I have a Speed Machines Ferrari 333SP with extra flash hanging off the fender well. It's like a brake on the wheel. The mainline 599XX release is fairly common in my area.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mainlines are common here too. I've found 3 599 $upers but only 1 of these OH5 varies in the 2+ months I've be collecting.

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
This thread has reminded me that I need to inspect potential Mainline purchases very carefully.
Not only mainlines, but the premium series as well. Especially since you're paying a lot more for them. I'm a stickler for decently aligned tampos, so I inspect everything thoroughly for defects before I lay the money down.

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
Found this OH5 variation a few weeks ago @ Ralphs and decided to free it tonight only to find the right side tampos sliding. :( And there's a growth in the wheel well too! :mad:

Nice Side:

Slider Side:

varration:confused:those wheels are the normal ones.i am missing somthing?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
varration:confused:those wheels are the normal ones.i am missing somthing?
Normal wheels are MC5s. They look similar but the OH5s are thinner spokes and actually have spaces between the spokes like most 1:1 wheels.

They are all over San Diego, my buddy bought 3-4 yesterday.
I must not be looking in the right places down here. I read that they are becoming much more common - some guy in TX saw 25 of them recently. I typically don't collect more than 1 variation of a car but since I like this a lot, I'm inclined to find another one!

s your buddy interested in trading?

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
only ones i have even seen are these.have no idea what you are talking about on those others.would like to see a pic to see the differance

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
oh yeah, and this is why opening hot wheels is a bad idea, what you don't see, won't hurt you.
Hahahahaha... true. I guess I won't be able to tell if the one I'd trade you buddy for would have good tampos either. So just forget about it, if I find another one then cool - I don't have that much to trade for anyway.

Thanks though.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Not only mainlines, but the premium series as well. Especially since you're paying a lot more for them. I'm a stickler for decently aligned tampos, so I inspect everything thoroughly for defects before I lay the money down.
If I see multiples of a car I want, I inspect the tampos pretty thoroughly. Now I have to look for holes, too...but my biggest pet peeve with die-cast has always been bad leans and tires that don't touch the shelves. I haven't seen holes on premium cars, but I've seen plenty of the other aforementioned defects.

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
Bascily O5 wheels look like the original Faster Than Ever wheels but are chrome.
I still haven't found one in my neck of the woods.
Finding Quality Control issues on mainlines comes with the territory as far as I'm concerned. They are only a buck and considering the huge numbers they churn out, a few are bound to slip through.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts