Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just don't know what RC2 could be thinking with this decision. Ever since the inception of the Street Freaks line and it's awesome subsets {Zingers, BWF, Spoilers, etc..} they have just flown off the pegs faster than any other line of JL's and it just seems to be a MAJOR brainfart on someones part that this hasn't been realized or maybe they're just ignoring it. Why would you kill off your most popular and best selling line. It just doesn't make good business sense at all.
Yesterday, I sent an email to: [email protected] ,asking these same questions. I also stated that if all they were going to do was send some generic response from some individual who probably didn't give a rats azz about the cars anyways, to just never mind. I did state though that if someone there who's in the know and can let someone know about this oversight, I'd be happy to hear from them. I also let them know to check out hobbytalk here and also lightninglane, if they were at all curious about what we collectors like/don't like. So to that end, if you want the Street Freaks line to return, email them at the address above and post your support here {hopefully they'll read it}
Thanks all and Happy New Year ! Jon

·
Registered
237 Posts
One of my most favorite series over the years, was always looking forward to the next release of BWF's,Spoilers,Kustoms, PIP's, now what we gonna do ???

·
Registered
12,959 Posts
Even though I really like the series and am a bit disappointed that there won't be any Black with FLames coming out, I think it's good to change occasionally. In that way, we are exposed to new concepts that may be just become our new favorites. I'm not saying that it will happen right away, but I'm willing to give it a chance with the new Retro series.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
no bwf... no pip... no spoilers... just plain ol` cars and coke cars... *sigh*

maybe they are dropping the SF line to reintroduce the Racing/Stock Car Legends Line :D

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
As far as the Street Freaks line goes, I'll miss the Black With Flames, Project In Progress and American Glory. Those were my personal favorites. I personally have no interest in the Spoilers, Zingers or Customs but, they did sell here as well, so somebody likes them. The only thing still hanging around here is the old, old Street Freaks Import Heat.

My .02

JP2

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Sure,that's a big hole to fill but just think of the things that can take it's place.

I remember people ragging when they first came out because there wasn't 6 car series'/sets anymore.

Long before SF's, they released cars that were BWF,customs,spoilers and more.
Sure the Zingers,were added to the SF's,but people hated those too,at the time.
I'm confident they didn't tool all those Zinged chassis, just to can em, in the new year.
As long as there are muscle car,race car,or any car collectors,flames will be a big part of paint jobs...wether 1:1, 1:18, 1:24, 1:43,1:64,or 1:87

To me, "scrapin" was a fad,just like low-poofilled tires,or Dungs.
I'm not so sure those will be missed.

Perhaps, we could be in for a big surprise,in 07.
One can always dream,...right?

·
Registered
12,344 Posts
I know it's tough to take, but in all honesty, Street Freaks duds are hanging everywhere and if you look at the inventory that was offered at the Learning Curve sale in conjunction with the Fest, you'll see it was predominantly Street Freaks, tons and tons of them, for a buck a piece. This is no coincidence, it seems that the retailers lost confidence in their ability to sell, so they in all likelihood had to be revamped or scrapped.

I would hope that there still will be American Glory, PIP, BWF, and Spoilers themed cars showing up in the lines somewhere. It'd be pretty dumb for a company not to recognize their good sellers and to discontinue them.

·
Atomic Punk
4,323 Posts
CTWLSMIKE said:
I know it's tough to take, but in all honesty, Street Freaks duds are hanging everywhere and if you look at the inventory that was offered at the Learning Curve sale in conjunction with the Fest, you'll see it was predominantly Street Freaks, tons and tons of them, for a buck a piece. This is no coincidence, it seems that the retailers lost confidence in their ability to sell, so they in all likelihood had to be revamped or scrapped.

I would hope that there still will be American Glory, PIP, BWF, and Spoilers themed cars showing up in the lines somewhere. It'd be pretty dumb for a company not to recognize their good sellers and to discontinue them.
There were a few SF series at the Curve but they were practically the first to sell out there also. It may have been because of retailers not ordering but it could have also been because of the poor distribution.

I still have yet to see new product in any stores around here besides the one local diecast shop and they are charging $4.50 per car.

I am pretty sure I am done with JL besides any BWF's (if and when they come out) and maybe an occasional other car here or there.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
CenterShock said:
I still have yet to see new product in any stores around here besides the one local diecast shop and they are charging $4.50 per car.
$4.50 a car isn't too bad when you consider WM is selling them for $3.96. I really like JLs, but I have been thinking of trimming down the collection as I am becoming interested in 1:18th scale cars. I have picked up 6 of the new cars so far, but a couple of those are for racing and a couple are just because I haven't seen any new product in so long.

Its interesting to observe where the cars sell. For instance, a WM to my south will sell every last one of the new ones while the WM where I live has only sold one, and that is because my wife wanted it (I bought all my others at the south WM). Just seems weird. They are also building two new Supercenters not far from here, so I might get to see more stock around the area.

I lament the loss of the Street Freaks series, but I will just wait and see how things shape up for the new Johnny Lightning. I hope to see them as popular as HWs one day, but I don't think that will happen (I'm not sure it would be good if they were). As the saying goes, may you live in interesting times.

1up

·
Registered
12,344 Posts
CenterShock said:
There were a few SF series at the Curve but they were practically the first to sell out there also. It may have been because of retailers not ordering but it could have also been because of the poor distribution.
Well I didn't attend, but as far as what they had in the store, and what was in the warehouse, they were two different things. I was able to get 24 cases and could have gotten many more as I understood it. Also look at the mega buys that showed up at TRU, and the TShirt cars at Sears, largely SFs.

Poor distribution is another result of low orders I'd imagine. The stock seemed to be available to be distributed, if anyone had ordered it. Even if they had gotten them everywhere, the duds would likely still be hanging, as they are in many locations here, and stores here didn't really get that many.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Zingers were the only ones that hung around here. Maybe they should have cut them back to 1 per series - thus allowing for 2 PiP's or BWF :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
Hope for BWFs

Somewhere on the JL club site is mentioned there will be BWF versions of cars. Maybe we won't see a separate series but at least RC2 is considering some variations. I'm curious like many others to see what comes next.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well as I have made my rounds in the stores up until Christmas..I didnt observe as many zingers as I did the poker series and I saw tons of surf cars being sold online by the case loads..if JL wants my money they will go back to the spoilers (rebel rod) with plastic tire and 10% rubber tires also with engine varis also zingers in the plastic-rubber tire varis..I like the BWF and the PIP so I guess what I am saying is no SF from JL means very little money from me..YES I AM BUMMED :confused:

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
I personally like spoilers but they never sell here,along with any ford gt, zingers,or any import cars,and gto`s.
I`m sure there are lots of people that like these but maybe they`ll figure out some type of `cars` mix or something to help these sell well.
The cars cases that had been arriving actually sold better than full cases of a series.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Too bad..maybe some will reappear eventually in some form. I really liked the Zingers, Spoilers, and Projects In Progress...still need a few of each to fill some gaps.

·
Geico ad . . . Offensive?
6,709 Posts
YES That sucks.

I collect mainly Mopars but I have all the # cars (Rebel Rods / Spoilers) since the start and a nice sub-set of Project in Progress cars.

For 2007 JL isn't really doing Mopars anymore (not to the extent that the Tom Lowe / Playing Mantis JL did) and now no more # cars and PIPs . . . :confused:

Maybe it is time for me to step back away from JL and die-cast -- I am spending more of my time (and $$$) on slot cars lately anyway. And, ironically, a lot of my cash is going into Tom Lowe's new Auto World brand. Did I mention he recently put out a Mopar or No Car set . . .

'doba

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
That does suck! I look forward to the BWF, Spoilers, and PIP's. I think they should have done away with the Coke cars instead.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have NEVER seen any Street Freak hang for long anywhere around my area {except for the nasty tuner ones - YUCK !} and I cruise up and down the I-5 corridor from Mt. Vernon to Seattle -Tacoma on a semi regular basis.

GIVE ME STREET FREAKS OR GIVE ME DEATH !!! {well ok, not death exactly, lol}

1 - 20 of 25 Posts