Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, but are we allowed to use the words "[email protected]!per$ and [email protected] on this forum when we're talking about some of the people who sell on e-bay? There's another Hot Wheels forum that won't allow the use of these words, they would change it to "resellers" any time I tried to use them. Does the same thing happen here?

Administrator
It will always depend on the context and other words that accompany your specific use of these terms. How do you plan to different between 'some' of the sellers and the rest of them on eBay is the question to ask yourself when using those terms as a generalization.

If you havent read through the Forum Guidelines recently you may want to read thru them.

And then the terms of use agreement you have already agreed to follow. Particularily the 7th bulleted item under Submissions.

馃

Reactions: samace22

Registered
As I found out when I joined here, you have to tread lightly with the labels here because many of us "collectors" are also sellers. I've been an eBay seller for over 20 years. I sell Hot Wheels on eBay to fund my Hot Wheels collection. So if I'm looking for 1 car and I find a pile of them at Walmart I might buy a few xtra to sell to pay for the one I'm keeping. To some that might make me a scalper. There's another local guy here who goes out and buys every single car he can find to flip. Goes to multiple stores and cleans them out. I described him on here a few times and called him a scalper. Guess what? Unknown to me it so happens that he reads this board and recognized from my description that I was referring to him and next time I saw him at the store he left me know that in a casual kinda way. I think he realizes that he fits that description and there's no hard feelings we get along fine. We've even done a few trades. Just a word to the wise.....there's a gray area between "collector" and "scalper" and toes can get stepped on pretty quickly if you're not careful.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As I found out when I joined here, you have to tread lightly with the labels here because many of us "collectors" are also sellers. I've been an eBay seller for over 20 years. I sell Hot Wheels on eBay to fund my Hot Wheels collection. So if I'm looking for 1 car and I find a pile of them at Walmart I might buy a few xtra to sell to pay for the one I'm keeping. To some that might make me a scalper. There's another local guy here who goes out and buys every single car he can find to flip. Goes to multiple stores and cleans them out. I described him on here a few times and called him a scalper. Guess what? Unknown to me it so happens that he reads this board and recognized from my description that I was referring to him and next time I saw him at the store he left me know that in a casual kinda way. I think he realizes that he fits that description and there's no hard feelings we get along fine. We've even done a few trades. Just a word to the wise.....there's a gray area between "collector" and "scalper" and toes can get stepped on pretty quickly if you're not careful.
I recognize that there's a difference between the two, but when you can't find a casting in the stores, when you've made special trips "out of town" several times trying to find that one p/u ('83 Chevy from OIL & GAS set), you get frustrated. But when you go on e-bay to see how much they want for one, and the asking price is 5 or 6 times what they paid for it ($25-30 bucks), that person is a scalper in my opinion. I can't ever justify spending that much money for a single car. That's one of the reasons why I'm not an RLC member, too much money.
I can see selling a $5.00 car for $10-12 bucks plus shipping costs to help fund future purchases, but not $8-12 bucks for a mainline car that you should be able to find in a store for $1.00 plus tax, ridiculous.

Administrator
The ones I enjoy the most are the ones who tell us about buying out everything and everyone that they can find - and if they cant find them! Then they complain about the 'scalpers' getting to them before they do!

I do have a following of customers I buy things for because they dont have the time to hunt retail for them themselves. I havent done eBay in more than 20 years but didnt collect Hot Wheels back then. I do remember people buying cases and boxes of diecast and baseball cards back then at the auctions we attended. And other toys as well.

And if you think about it Walmart, Target and the Dollar Stores are 'scalpers' too! Since they are the ones who buy up most of Mattel's stock and then resell it to other collectors. Same goes for all the inner webz sites who sell cases and single die cast to us collectors as well.

Then most of our toy show customers are mostly looking for things to resell on eBay or other sites anyway. Or to take or send back down to Mexico or Puerto Rico to resell there. So they only want to pay below retail for anything to start with anyway!

Administrator
I found and stickied Gerald's post about perspective in this section again. It is from 2013, but is still as relevant today - without the added impact on collecting by the COVID Pandemic, as it was back then.

And if you go back and read other posts from 2008 and 2009 - these are the same attitudes and perspectives members have been reflecting since the beginning. And I still hear them from the older collectors I know who started out collecting and trading in 1990's Hot Wheels.

I think Mike and Keith said it best (and what I use as my own personal perspective) -

You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometime you'll find
You get what you need

Registered
I recognize that there's a difference between the two, but when you can't find a casting in the stores, when you've made special trips "out of town" several times trying to find that one p/u ('83 Chevy from OIL & GAS set), you get frustrated. But when you go on e-bay to see how much they want for one, and the asking price is 5 or 6 times what they paid for it ($25-30 bucks), that person is a scalper in my opinion. I can't ever justify spending that much money for a single car. That's one of the reasons why I'm not an RLC member, too much money.
I can see selling a $5.00 car for $10-12 bucks plus shipping costs to help fund future purchases, but not $8-12 bucks for a mainline car that you should be able to find in a store for $1.00 plus tax, ridiculous.
Yep the '83 Silverado has gotten completely out of hand. I collected that casting almost from the beginning and had nearly every variation made in my collection. ( I had posted pics of that collection in the photo section of this site, but last time I looked the thread was gone apparently removed/deleted by someone). However it seemed like suddenly that casting got hot and it was impossible to find new releases at stores. I got frustrated like you and I just sold off my entire 83 Silverado collection and I no longer collect that casting. My 55 Gasser collection is likely to be next in line for that same fate. Collecting is not fun when every new release causes anxiety over trying to beat the crowd to get it. I prefer low stress collecting.

Administrator
Is this the right thread? Looks like it got moved to the Hot Wheels Segment Discussion Section as it got older. Do you want to put it back in the Hot Wheels General Discussions or the Hot Wheels Photos Photos Photos. Or move over to the General Diecast or Photo section?. I lobby all the time to never delete anything from the boards and the compromise was to start archiving things. If you want it can stay in this era of Hot Wheels discussions as is. Let us know.

Registered
Is this the right thread? Looks like it got moved to the Hot Wheels Segment Discussion Section as it got older. Do you want to put it back in the Hot Wheels General Discussions or the Hot Wheels Photos Photos Photos. Or move over to the General Diecast or Photo section?. I lobby all the time to never delete anything from the boards and the compromise was to start archiving things. If you want it can stay in this era of Hot Wheels discussions as is. Let us know.

yes that's it! I had originally posted it in the HW Photos Photos section. Seemed like a good place for it and it makes a good photo reference for anyone trying to collect that casting. I'm not sure what or where the segment discussion section is?

Administrator
Those are located under the Hot Wheels production years section. Older threads that only talks about a certain casting, specific series or someones collection from a certain time frame are being archived there (a slow process) over time.

I also moved your thread back to the HWs Photo section if you have more to add to it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep the '83 Silverado has gotten completely out of hand. I collected that casting almost from the beginning and had nearly every variation made in my collection. ( I had posted pics of that collection in the photo section of this site, but last time I looked the thread was gone apparently removed/deleted by someone). However it seemed like suddenly that casting got hot and it was impossible to find new releases at stores. I got frustrated like you and I just sold off my entire 83 Silverado collection and I no longer collect that casting. My 55 Gasser collection is likely to be next in line for that same fate. Collecting is not fun when every new release causes anxiety over trying to beat the crowd to get it. I prefer low stress collecting.
I agree, this hobby has let a few people make it very hard to find anything in the stores anymore. Going to the same 3 stores for weeks and coming up empty isn't fun. I refused to pay what those clowns wanted for one on e-bay, and I figured I'd never find one in a store. I was shocked when I found not 1, but 2 of the 2-pack car culture sets with the GM pick ups at Target several weeks ago. I kept one, and sent the other one to a fellow collector on the east coast who couldn't find one. It's probably the only one I'll ever find.

Administrator
I usually find if you wait a few months or sometimes just a few weeks - you can often find those same casting you also had to have right away, but couldnt find - for near retail or below cost as the desire shifts to a new casting or series offering.

Most resellers are also more than willing to trade for the newest and greatest offerings for one that is no longer a market standout.

It will also be interesting to see how the usual after Christmas slump of new stock will be effected by the large inventory of delayed shipping containers and distribution warehouse flow finally reaches the pegs early next year.

Registered
Those are located under the Hot Wheels production years section. Older threads that only talks about a certain casting, specific series or someones collection from a certain time frame are being archived there (a slow process) over time.

I also moved your thread back to the HWs Photo section if you have more to add to it.
Ok thanks Milton!

Registered
I agree, this hobby has let a few people make it very hard to find anything in the stores anymore. Going to the same 3 stores for weeks and coming up empty isn't fun. I refused to pay what those clowns wanted for one on e-bay, and I figured I'd never find one in a store. I was shocked when I found not 1, but 2 of the 2-pack car culture sets with the GM pick ups at Target several weeks ago. I kept one, and sent the other one to a fellow collector on the east coast who couldn't find one. It's probably the only one I'll ever find.
I actually found a good supply of those truck 2 packs at Target. Between the 2 Target stores I shop at, I probably saw those sets restocked 10 times or more. I bought several sets and left all the rest. The one release I couldn't find and got me frustrated enough to sell the collection was the Boulevard premium one from Walmart. I eventually did find 1 on an out of town trip. Another one I was never able to find at retail was the Car Culture Shop Trucks one that looks like the one from the 2 pack. I hunted hard for that for months and found multiples of all the others in the set, but never found the 83 Silverado. Ended up trading for 1.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I actually found a good supply of those truck 2 packs at Target. Between the 2 Target stores I shop at, I probably saw those sets restocked 10 times or more. I bought several sets and left all the rest. The one release I couldn't find and got me frustrated enough to sell the collection was the Boulevard premium one from Walmart. I eventually did find 1 on an out of town trip. Another one I was never able to find at retail was the Car Culture Shop Trucks one that looks like the one from the 2 pack. I hunted hard for that for months and found multiples of all the others in the set, but never found the 83 Silverado. Ended up trading for 1.
It's a cool casting, brings back a lot of memories of growing up in the '60s and '70's in SO. CAL. Lots of GM square bodies down there.

Registered
It's a cool casting, brings back a lot of memories of growing up in the '60s and '70's in SO. CAL. Lots of GM square bodies down there.
Well it was one of my favorite castings but I got tired of all the circus drama with it so I got rid of all of them. I am collecting the GMC Syclone now though......at least until it goes bonkers.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well it was one of my favorite castings but I got tired of all the circus drama with it so I got rid of all of them. I am collecting the GMC Syclone now though......at least until it goes bonkers.
I've acquired a few of the GMC Syclones, another cool casting. Why do you sell all of a particular casting when it becomes really popular?

Registered
I've acquired a few of the GMC Syclones, another cool casting. Why do you sell all of a particular casting when it becomes really popular?
Well because I get pissed off when a new issue comes out and I can't find it because it's being scalped all over the internet. The '83 Silverado didn't start out with crazy prices and being impossible to find at the stores. Neither did the 55 Gasser or the Datsun 510. The 83 Silverado was not a hard decision to sell because I did not have 100% complete collection, and it was never gonna be complete. Go check the prices on the Fire Rods and Military Rods for that casting. Who's paying that kinda money? Not me. If I can't complete it why bother? Plus I made a tidy profit when I sold all those trucks. I was actually shocked to see how much they brought!
And I have other collections that are complete like the 55 Gasser, Custom '62 Chevy Truck, '67 Chevy C-10, '52 Chevy Truck, and the Bywayman is complete as far as I know. There are tons of wheel variations, bed variations, card variations, etc etc. I have all or nearly all. My Datsun 510 Wagon collection is complete minus 1 issue which is the 1st convention exclusive. I'll probably dump the 55 Gasser collection sometime soon. When I look at what it's bringing on the 'Bay it's hard to just keep sitting on it. I'm in the market for a new real life truck here soon, so the big bucks I will get for all those Gassers will come in handy. $$$.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well because I get pissed off when a new issue comes out and I can't find it because it's being scalped all over the internet. The '83 Silverado didn't start out with crazy prices and being impossible to find at the stores. Neither did the 55 Gasser or the Datsun 510. The 83 Silverado was not a hard decision to sell because I did not have 100% complete collection, and it was never gonna be complete. Go check the prices on the Fire Rods and Military Rods for that casting. Who's paying that kinda money? Not me. If I can't complete it why bother? Plus I made a tidy profit when I sold all those trucks. I was actually shocked to see how much they brought!
And I have other collections that are complete like the 55 Gasser, Custom '62 Chevy Truck, '67 Chevy C-10, '52 Chevy Truck, and the Bywayman is complete as far as I know. There are tons of wheel variations, bed variations, card variations, etc etc. I have all or nearly all. My Datsun 510 Wagon collection is complete minus 1 issue which is the 1st convention exclusive. I'll probably dump the 55 Gasser collection sometime soon. When I look at what it's bringing on the 'Bay it's hard to just keep sitting on it. I'm in the market for a new real life truck here soon, so the big bucks I will get for all those Gassers will come in handy. $$$.
That's cool, you're a "completeist", someone who collects every version of a certain casting if you can. I've only been collecting again for 2 years, mainly because of our grandson. But I collect what I like, and I apparently like a lot of cars. I've acquired a lot of cars, but I'm only collecting multiples of a few castings that I really like, like the '71 Dodge Demon, the '70 Power Wagon, and the '70-71 'Cudas. I can never afford the real thing anymore, so I acquire them when I can.
I have zero interest in selling any of my collection, it goes to our only grandson when I'm gone.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts