Hobbyist Forums banner

What classes will you be running this summer?

• Stock SCT

Votes: 19 43.2%
  • Open SCT (4 x 4 and 2wd SC)

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • Stock Buggy (17.5)

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Spec Buggy (10.5)

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Modified Buggy

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • Super Stock Truck (13.5)

Votes: 24 54.5%
  • Modified Truck

Votes: 19 43.2%
  • 1/8th Electric Buggy

Votes: 16 36.4%
  • 1/8th Electric Truggy

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • 1/8th Nitro Buggy

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • 1/8th Nitro Truggy

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Yes, I like the idea of running nitro and electric on the same day

Votes: 20 45.5%
  • No, keep the nitro and electric races seperate

Votes: 16 36.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 11444 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Welcome everyone, this forum is for any & everyone who would like to voice their likes/dis-likes regarding anything RC. This opens up a BIG CAN of WORMS but - that's why I'm calling it "Smack Talk", "Virus" means the word will spread so if you have an outstanding track or product, others will know about it. if your track or product is in need of a nip & tuck here and there - we hope those responsible can help make the changes and will take note of what "Hobby Talk" RC'rs are saying.

RACERS: If you want a better track or product, give constructive suggestions for improvements, let them know what you really liked also.

TRACK OWNERS & Manufactuers: We'll provide you with feedback, it's yours so it's up to you to do what you think is necessary to make a majority of the racers happy.

Example:
I stopped at MX131 yesterday to run my 1/8, first of all - LOTS OF FUN, I think this track has potential to be a once or twice a week track for myself and others from our area. Here's what I would like them to think about improving or changing if they don't already have it in the works.

(1) I didn't like the far lane, it was eye level and I couldn't see the position of my 8ight, the stutter-bump at the beginning of the straight was a killer for me and I'll have to learn how to navigate the speed through it better, nice and technical but the buggy was nearly invisible that far away moving from left to right.

(2) I believe the speaker locations could be adjusted, I would like to see a speaker in the trees next to where you park, I couldn't hear a thing in that area.

(3) I met Hank for the first time, now he was super & very nice not to mention helpful as well as the whole family. I would've like to have pulled up to the registration shed and have been greeted by Miss January in her orange bikini, after paying my membership I think I should have recieved a Snickers & Bud to show me that this track was going to be unique - OK, Miss January would've been enough.

VIRUS RACING

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldn't go that far, if he had his choice he would put the fastest RC motor in his Tonka he has under his blankie.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
GOOD MORING WEST MICHIGAN! Now we have a thread to come and chat about what is up in the off road RC world. Here, we can encourage one another to race with us where ever it is we would like to race.

·
Premium Member
15,151 Posts
I stopped out at M40 Gobles on Saturday to see how the track was progressing. They changed the track up a bit so you run some of the center section backwards from last year and there is a cross over thrown in there to accomplish that. For those that have run M40 before you know the track is fast with gobs of traction, that hasn't changed. running backwards on some sections and the crossover has put in a few more technical areas were you have get have your speeds just right or you won't be set up for the following corner.

With their limited resources and manpower they did a decent job of changing things up. Those that have raced there know the track tends to get torn up a bit during the day. That presents a different challenge then MX131 as you have to adjust to the changing track conditions all day long. Personally, I enjoy the track and conditions and being able to really open up my 1/8 scale.

M40 only has a 5 race schedule with the only conflict with MX131 being the first race. The first race at MX131 is not a points series race so I think that I am going to run M40 on the 9th, then race MX131 the other weekends. Gotta share the RC racing "love" with the tracks we have available :)

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree with you on it being nice to open it up at MX131, that straight-away in front of the drivers stand has a couple nice and long jumps, just think if you could angle the first jump so you could chance it and quad the whole thing. OK, I've had my share of broken 10 scale parts.

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
Now I have not been down to MX131 yet, mostly because I dont like to have to drive 30+ minutes just to run and the track has the stigma of being a 1/8th scale only track. But once my RC8E is ready to run I am sure I will make a visit.

But last week I was out with several racers from the Grand Rapids and Kzoo area who have been out to MX131 already this year to run. I will be delicate with the comments they had as not to offend anyone. The comment I got was they would rather drive to Stateline and run on a track built for racing.

Their major complaint was that the jumps were not built for racing, they were built for bashing (big jumps not formed correctly). As I said I have not been there yet, so I can not comment, but others who have been there might be able to shed some light on this? I am guessing they are talking about the flow of the track being disrupted by jumps that are not formed correctly for racing?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think maybe they worked on that, I thought it had great flow, certain areas where technical and other areas you could let it rip, different types and sizes of jumps with the track changing kept you on your toes.

·
Premium Member
15,151 Posts
I was only out there the first weekend after they opened so they may have cleaned things up a bit. when I was there the jumps on the front straight were not 10th scale friendly... IMHO, they should make tabletops or close to table tops, most 10th scales can not make the jump over the pit.

The double/triple at the far left side of the track can't be made by anything, it's just not a very flowing part of the track. I didn't mind the triple step down at the far back straight, I was able to just gun it and clear them all. But I have to agree with Heffae, it is hard to see where you car is on that elevated section. After 6 packs (at least an hour of track time) I was finally able to get through there with a bit of confidence. It will be a real disadvantage for a racer new to the track.

The part I disliked the most was the step-up jump after the "rumble strips". I heard they were going to work on that so it may be different now.

I have a slightly different take then Heffae. There were very few places I could let it rip with my 8th scale. After the 2nd jump on the front straight and the far back straight were the only places I could really open it up and only for maybe a second or two.

Overall the track isn't bad and I enjoyed it. IMHO, a big improvement over last year

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Just some feedback on the points that you guys brought up:
- The landing of the step-up will be lenghtened this week to improve visibility
- The turn onto the step-down will be angled with the inner side lower than the outer side to improve visibility
- Additional speakers are being installed this week. Yesterday we were only running the speaker that is mounted on the office building

Some sections have been build to make it technical. One example is the double/table top after the front straight: It's not build to be a triple. You have to slow down to hit the section correctly. Not all jumps are intended to just scream over, that's not technical and everybody can do that. The goal when building a track is not to make it hard to get around the track, just to make it challenging to get around the track fast and efficient! Sorry, but since I have designed/build the track, I have the right to fight back a little bit... LOL

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
I dont think anyone is attacking you, just discussion to make things better is how i would take it. :thumbsup:

Now lets talk about Dukes track.....oh wait, his track is flat right now. Guess he would need a track before we can talk about it! :wave: Sorry Duke, I had to go there.

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
Wont be long and we can talk about Roman Grounds and how Uncle E single handedly is messing it up so bad we will never be able to race on it. Just back away from the heavy machinery E. Some things in this life just dont mix, E and heavy equipment are two of those things!

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
I am sitting here questioning something while I eat lunch today. Is it a good idea to mix 1/8th and 1/10th layouts? Im not a track owner so I dont have that answer, but after several years of being in this hobby I can honestly not recall many tracks getting that perfect blend that is favorable to both classes. Leisure Hours comes close, but even their track makes me timid with a 1/10th scale. Some of those jumps they build are HUGE, makes me feel like I am sure to break something every time I run on it.

It just makes me wonder if the tracks should even try to be everything to everyone? Dukes and MX131 I see as 1/8th scale tracks. I personally wouldnt ever go to either one to run my 1/10th scale stuff. I will however run my RC8 at them both. Then you have places like Fred's on road track in the Rogers Mall and BFG. Both have been known as 1/10th scale tracks. Im not sure either of those are the best places to run 1/8th scale. Granted, you can run anything anyplace, but its just my humble opinion that places need to go after their nitch.

Not saying anyplace is better than anyother place, but everyone seems to have their nitch and thats cool. Makes it nice for all the racers to have a choise of where they want to go to run each week.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
I dont think anyone is attacking you, just discussion to make things better is how i would take it. :thumbsup:

Now lets talk about Dukes track.....oh wait, his track is flat right now. Guess he would need a track before we can talk about it! :wave: Sorry Duke, I had to go there.
I am sitting here questioning something while I eat lunch today. Is it a good idea to mix 1/8th and 1/10th layouts? Im not a track owner so I dont have that answer, but after several years of being in this hobby I can honestly not recall many tracks getting that perfect blend that is favorable to both classes. Leisure Hours comes close, but even their track makes me timid with a 1/10th scale. Some of those jumps they build are HUGE, makes me feel like I am sure to break something every time I run on it.

It just makes me wonder if the tracks should even try to be everything to everyone? Dukes and MX131 I see as 1/8th scale tracks. I personally wouldnt ever go to either one to run my 1/10th scale stuff. I will however run my RC8 at them both. Then you have places like Fred's on road track in the Rogers Mall and BFG. Both have been known as 1/10th scale tracks. Im not sure either of those are the best places to run 1/8th scale. Granted, you can run anything anyplace, but its just my humble opinion that places need to go after their nitch.

Not saying anyplace is better than anyother place, but everyone seems to have their nitch and thats cool. Makes it nice for all the racers to have a choise of where they want to go to run each week.
so im not the only one that feels this way and i get banned from dukes cause i spoke my mind... everyone was looking to me and wondering why the track isnt done out there and its not even my layout.. talk to the one that runs it and his buddy randy.. its his design and thats my opinion.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So Rev, what your saying is ... nevermind, I think I know - wait, maybe I don't, oh yea, I think I do, I think --- FYI - "REVO at his best":thumbsup:

EHARTMAN - I agree with you on, I thought it had the best blend of: speed, technicality & a large amount of focus of any of the tracks I've been to this year (indoor or out). I'm glad you responded and yes, your imput and future changes is what we like to hear. I'm anal nitpicky (is "anal" OK Hank if I use it in a sentence)? and thus the whole reason I cann't be at the same track as E today, I'm sure he's whipping the loader around like a boat pulling a tubber.

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
so im not the only one that feels this way and i get banned from dukes cause i spoke my mind... everyone was looking to me and wondering why the track isnt done out there and its not even my layout.. talk to the one that runs it and his buddy randy.. its his design and thats my opinion.
I think there are quite a few more people who feel the same way. I think you and I have the same problem, we speak our minds. I'm very shy......:thumbsup:

Sucks because that track is close to you, but on the other hand its good there are other tracks to race at. All that being banned means is you get to support other tracks with your time and money.

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
So Rev, what your saying is ... nevermind, I think I know - wait, maybe I don't, oh yea, I think I do, I think --- FYI - "REVO at his best":thumbsup:
Yep, just another thing to ponder by REVO! :dude:

Thats my normal "get the point across without ticking anyone off" attempts.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Hey Uncle E, thanks for the assistance it is all coming along well, some day I might catch you. LOL well if you break something I will. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 11444 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.