Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are some of my customs that where from the last 12 years of customizing, I will add more as reply's, so you don't have to keep looking at new threads. These customs date back 12 years, you can see it through the different older castings. I hope you can enjoy the pics. The customs themselves where a blast to do.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
very nice work, took me a good long while to scroll through picking out all the little detail pieces that were added, how do you make those headers? or are they robbed from another car?(picture 12) also what cars do you rob those slicks from? very nice work!.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On the Thrush headers yellow Nova. The headers were hand fabricated out of soldier. Its been a long time since I did that one but I think the slicks and front wheels came off of a racing champion dragster, One of the old force funny cars. They are plastic but they still look kool. Sorry I made it such a long post, I was just trying to keep from beating everybody up with a bunch of different posts. Hope this helps

·
Banned
4,640 Posts
It is a real pleasure to view your customs sir, your eye for engine detail is quite nice, keep up the good work, and please keep sharing these pics, i quite enjoy viewing them.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
very nice work, took me a good long while to scroll through picking out all the little detail pieces that were added, how do you make those headers? or are they robbed from another car?(picture 12) also what cars do you rob those slicks from? very nice work!.
I'm sorry I didn't read your post correctly the 1st time. As far as the different slicks you are viewing they came from so many different castings, but I specialized in finding cars that supported tires I needed. Action drag cars is one source, Racing champions are another, Some of those wheels came off of 100% Hot wheels and some came from the newer line of HW Drag strip demons. About 3 years back I was contracted by GL to design and do pre-production work for a drag wheel set, and I did it as a kinda trade off. I would do the work and they would give me a bunch of the tires and wheels as payment for the labor. I wounded up with 200 sets of those. They almost made them to my specs. Hope this helps

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is a real pleasure to view your customs sir, your eye for engine detail is quite nice, keep up the good work, and please keep sharing these pics, i quite enjoy viewing them.
Thank you. I have plenty more, I think I have done close to 500 customs over the years if not a little more. But I wont put that many on post, I promise

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
OUTSTANDING!!!

As many homegrown techniques as I've used (I'm all about homegrown) it never occured to me to use solder for headers. It's flexable yet holds it shape and comes in several different guages. Did you glue it to the collector or actually melt the solder together?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OUTSTANDING!!!

As many homegrown techniques as I've used (I'm all about homegrown) it never occured to me to use solder for headers. It's flexable yet holds it shape and comes in several different guages. Did you glue it to the collector or actually melt the solder together?
I just shared this trick with Stangfreak a couple of weeks ago. Dont. try to start your headers at the top (Closest to the manifold) Start at the end near the collector. Take four strands of soldier of equal lengths and stack it in a square, two over under and 2 side by side. Melt just the ends together, File to fit your collector end. (Aluminum tubing that I polished is what I use) Glue that on and then route your header tubes to the manifold location on your engine. This is not easy and takes patience but the look is well worth it. Once you route the correct position spread the 4 ends side by side and again melt them together carefully. Once they are melted you can make the exhaust manifold by smashing it with flat nose smooth pliers. file, shape and attach to engine.
If their is any interest on this technique, I'll post pictures in sequence

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just shared this trick with Stangfreak a couple of weeks ago. Dont. try to start your headers at the top (Closest to the manifold) Start at the end near the collector. Take four strands of soldier of equal lengths and stack it in a square, two over under and 2 side by side. Melt just the ends together, File to fit your collector end. (Aluminum tubing that I polished is what I use) Glue that on and then route your header tubes to the manifold location on your engine. This is not easy and takes patience but the look is well worth it. Once you route the correct position spread the 4 ends side by side and again melt them together carefully. Once they are melted you can make the exhaust manifold by smashing it with flat nose smooth pliers. file, shape and attach to engine.
If their is any interest on this technique, I'll post pictures in sequence
Here is a example of the look

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
:lol::lol: I hear ya...mine's a bit upside down...1 wife...1 eighteen year old boy...4 dogs:freak:
:lol::lol:
See! you know. We have a dog and for some reason she has to pee every morning at 3:30 or so. Keep up the great work! (Even though you may have to do it with your eyes half closed)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts