Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Cautiously Optimistic
5,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's long been my understanding that it was possible to airbrush properly thinned acrylic paint over a (fully cured) base coat of lacquer without causing any undesirable side-effects to the finish. Specifically, I'm thinking of using Tamiya water-based acrylics to detail the surface of a model previously base-coated with Tamiya rattle-can synthetic lacquer (i.e. blue acrylic pin-striping over the yellow lacquer finish on my Moebius Flying Sub). Has anyone ever encountered a problem with this particular over-lay?

·
Registered
614 Posts
It is my understanding that over lacquer is OK.

It is under lacquer that is bad as when the lacquer cures it shrinks a little and cracks.

Mark Dean

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
With an airbrush it really doesnt matter what you apply and when.

I thin my Tamiya acrylics with lacquer thinner and apply it over bare plastic, acrylic, enamel, etc. As long as you don't flood the paint on it dries almost instantly.

Common sense would dicatate a water based paint is safe over a lacquer. The old rule of thumb is to go from hottest to mildest... lacquer, enamel, acrylic. Although again, wtih an airbrush, its largely moot.

·
Cautiously Optimistic
5,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thin my Tamiya acrylics with lacquer thinner and apply it over bare plastic, acrylic, enamel, etc. As long as you don't flood the paint on it dries almost instantly.
Yeah, I've heard from a number of modelers that they like thinning Tamiya acrylic with Tamiya lacquer thinner -- especially when thinning gloss. Seems to lay down smoother, from what I understand. My only concern would be an undesired reaction between the thinner and the lacquer base coat. Then again, given the nature of mist-coating a fast drying paint, the chances of a fully cured lacquer finish being damaged by a few mist coats of acryrlic cut with lacquer thinner seem pretty remote.

In any case, I plan to run some tests before pin-striping the model itself. Better safe than sorry, as the saying goes.

Thanks again for the tips.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I know you don'tlike future too much, But on my little nellie the only good silver I had was a wallmart brand that has reacted with other paints in past builds, I'm shooting Tamiya yellow over that...
I dipped the parts in future,let it cure and I just shot the yellow..no lifting..so far...

Steve

·
Cautiously Optimistic
5,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have nothing against Future, but if I can avoid laying down a clear coat of ANY type I will. Fortunately, in this case, clear coating isn't something I have to worry about.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts