Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
anyone run a 4 cell gtb or lrp sphere comp in a brushed motor?? i just ordered a 4 cell novak gtb and a lrp sphere competition 07. and i'm gonna use them 99% of the time in brushed motors always stock and once a year in 19t. i bought them that way when i race 4300bl i have the speedos already in the car. and i've heard they work fine with brushed motors. is there anything i'm gonna have to do to run them in brushed? like remove wires or whatever else no clue just looking for some input i've never touched a bl esc or motor i appreciate everyones help. thanks, :thumbsup: Brad

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
They work just fine. I run my sphere, and so does Jesse Bean in stock. No problems at all. I think you just need to connect the blue and yellow wire on the sphere.

Joel White

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
I hear with the GTB you have to do somrthing in the program to run a brushed motor, with the Sphere it will Know.............. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
The sphere keeps the same profile brushed or brushless... So If you program the sphere for BL on profile 6 then it will use profile 6 brushed as well... as far a wires on the sphere comp all you do is orange wire to the positive and yellow and blue to the negative... Ive run mine with as low as a 6 turn without an issue..

GTB.. thats a different story.. I remember having to reprogram it, then splice wires..etc.. I remember buying a sphere comp for 1 of my cars because it was a lot more work to switch back and forth on the GTB..

However I prefer the GTB when racing brushless... Im not at all impressed with my 07 sphere comp>>>The thing still acts up with a 3.5 motor..

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys, 1 of them will stayed for brushed motors all the time so not worried about 1 of them haveing to be set all the time. by the looks of it i'll leave the gtb for brushed motors. anyone else got some input? Brad

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok thanks which ever one is easier is the one i'll use for brushed thanks. after 19 years or racing you'de think i would get used to this brushless stuff. but i've never touched one yet. thanks again, Brad

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok guys heres a question. i ran the sphere comp 07 tonight in stock brushed and went 2 laps slower then i did last week. the track could have been slower or car but.the car felt the same as usual. i did tq and win but i was 2 laps slower anone got any input on this? thanks, Brad

·
Registered
691 Posts
Make sure the esc's not in lipo mode. Mode 1 is 2 blinks of the led.
BTW, I also run
Mode 2 - 6
Mode 3 - 0
Mode 4 - 0

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
larcguy, i will check that.... the only mode i adjusted was #2 mode to 6 blinks the rest i left i will check and let you know how i make out. thanks, Brad

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
ok after taking the time to reset the esc i noticed i screwed up somewhere when doing it. it was set to
mode 1- 1 which is lipo
mode 2-3
mode 3- 2
mode 4-2
i hope this cures the problem and the speedo was set to lipo mode now set to
mode 1-2
mode 2-6
mode 3-0
mode 4-0
larcguy, thank you for the help, Brad :thumbsup:
now to install a gtb 4 cell this should be fun... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
I ran Novak brushless speedo in brushed and brushless this weekend for 1st time. Didn't change any presets ran them both factory. Ran the same car and was able to switch over in 4 minutes. I was in race 7 and 9 and made it to 9 right when 8 was getting over. You have to switch modes to brush and brushless but it easy once you get the hang of it. One won't work if it is wrong mode so it's easy to know. I put some chrome tape on my receiver and pointed it to speedo lights so you can see the setting of them to know you doing it right. Make sure lights are pointed so you see them. I really didn't like soldering the 3 wires to negative motor. One came off in main actually. But results were great. Brushed car was on pole in 19 turn with some fast cars and won brushless A-main. So good job to Novak on a good speedo that is fast in both.

http://thunder.rcresults.com/StricklandOval031007/html/110TH_19T_standings.html

http://thunder.rcresults.com/StricklandOval031007/html/BRUSHLESSA_Main.html

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
tommygun, i'll let you know how i make out after i run it thursday night i will say i was almost laps slower with the sphere comp 078 but it was set to lipo and other settings were screwed up as well. so hopefully now that i got it set right it should be fine. i'll also let you know how i make out this week with the 4 cell gtb. and let you know my take on the 2. i know of atleast 3 more guys running bl at maximus for the iron race so should have 2 good heats already plus who ever else hops in. cya soon, Brad

·
Banned
3,250 Posts
Set up my Sphere for brushed, 19t, and it seemed to have run as good as my Q2. Put the blue and yellow wire on the negative side and the Orange on the positive side. Haven't tried it with the GTB yet. No complaints here! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well after running the sphere comp 07 tonight with all the settings right it made absolutely no difference i was 2 laps slower then i was with a gtx unfortunately i don't have any regular esc's left to switch to. i will be sending my gtx in for repair though. and i had a massive headache at the track tonight so i did not switch to the gtb but for sure the gtb will be in my car for next week. everyone else at the track is running the same laps as before now i'm just 2 laps slower. if i run faster or the normal 80 laps with the gtb i know the sphere is no good and i won't be to happy. $195 down the darin lrp will get a call from me. well hope to have better results with the gtb i'll postmy results next week.

·
Registered
28 Posts
too much hype

Brad Sousa said:
well after running the sphere comp 07 tonight with all the settings right it made absolutely no difference i was 2 laps slower then i was with a gtx unfortunately i don't have any regular esc's left to switch to. i will be sending my gtx in for repair though. and i had a massive headache at the track tonight so i did not switch to the gtb but for sure the gtb will be in my car for next week. everyone else at the track is running the same laps as before now i'm just 2 laps slower. if i run faster or the normal 80 laps with the gtb i know the sphere is no good and i won't be to happy. $195 down the darin lrp will get a call from me. well hope to have better results with the gtb i'll postmy results next week.
man this brushless gimmic is really saving people money. I saw 2 gtb's and one 10.5 blow up last week! Throw in second car new speedo and motor,WOW!Ill stick with my 30 dollar ultrabirds thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts