Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Even though they are very nice diecast, I am not going to buy anymore Jadas. I'm just going to be patient with the JL brand and wait it out for castings that I want. I just prefer the scale and detail of the JL stuff, even if Jada is making '65 and '67 Impalas!!!(hint hint)

I'm also not going to buy any more Muscle Machines. They look pretty cool, until you take them out of the packages. In my opinion, they feel and look real cheap.

I will still buy the occasional $1 Hotwheel(real cars, not hard nose, big tire crap), and very select other pieces when they are on close out(Ford Lightning).

I also am staying away from Matchbox. They took all the good castings and make them into special cars to charge a special price, like the My Classic Car and Barret Jackson series. Then there's the Nikelodean(sp?) line of over tampoed, over priced stuff. Yuk! Never thought I'd see a bad looking '69 Camaro SS convertible, but Matchbox has managed to do it!

Sorry for the rant.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Tampoed and expensive...

Wyatt said:
...of over tampoed, over priced stuff. .
:lol:

Coke, Marvel, Team Lightning, Racing Dreams, Kiss among many, many others (can't forget Monopoly OVERDOSE!!!!!!!!)... at 4.99 per car. Need I say more?

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
mod

I loved the Monopoly cars. Team Lightning died quick. From what I gather, Kiss and Coke have been good sellers. Marvel may have overstayed it's welcome by now.

Don't get me wrong, I see what you're saying, but would most people buy 14 different stock colors of a '68 GTO? I would, but most wouldn't. I guess that forces JL to make the other tampoed variations to attract Coke, Comic Book, and Monopoly collectors, as well as people that can't live without those Cat In The Hat diecast cars, to help pay the bills. In my opinion, JL does a better job with graphics than MB and HW, too. Jl also starts out with a $3 car, and adds $1 to it to cover the licensing fees, MB and HW start out with a $1 car and add $4 to it for the Barret Jackson and My Classic Car sets.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Only Jada I ever bought was the recent Initial D series, and that just because it's a TV/movie theme set. I wish they would label their 1/55th scale cars as 1/55 instead of 1/64th. Same problem MM has.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Hi Wyatt,
Both cost way too much.
I will maintain my previous and often debated claim here (honest I'm not looking for an arguement - this is only my opinion) that JL can make the cars with decent quality sans the hype and garbage fluff (tampoes and licensing claims) for half of what they charge.

And I don't care for tampoe'd done to death themes on any diecast car unless it is a real graphics (Mooneyes, Snake & Mongoose for example).

I won't argue that these items sell well or don't. I really don't know that. Stores here in So Cal are choked with them - still. Folks like yourself will continually buy them so I would say they definately have a market for folks who like their cars themed or plastered in consumable brand logos etc. 'Buy what you like' so the chorus sings...

But how many do we really need?

I guess we can wait and see how many thousands of cases of them they have for sale at the Fest or what Kaybe or Target may purge at clearance. Or what we might find at Dollar Tree.

Matchbox (like MotorMax) makes a great car for .84c (MotorMax even a better bargain for .50c). Very, very detailed for the coin you spend. Your arguement that they tack on 3 bucks to the price is common to mine that JL tags on 2 bucks to their price. I would venture to guess how much that JL car actually cost to make (per unit, untampoed) vs a Matchbox car (per unit, untampoed)?

How much of the pie is actually diecast for your buck?

Wyatt, I hope I get a chance to meet you at the Fest.

-Peter

:thumbsup: :wave:

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
I have all the Monopoly and Kiss cars.
Someday, after Kiss is dead,I'm gonna put my great,great,great,great,great,great grandkids through community college.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Looking forward to meeting you, too, but we have to see what Ivan is up to! May come my way! I live less than 2 miles from to Gulf of Mexico! Looks like we have a front that will keep it away, but you never know.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Im gonna miss the Jada board, yeah, I like their style of cars, the older ones anyway, the newer pickups and SUVs are ok, I pick up what I like.
I know Russ, Milezone, is closing his store and doing online only and sadly droping the Jada line, RC2 and Hotwheels only I think. Maybe sponsor loss had something to do with it too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts