Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy some quality diecast movie cars but do not know WHO to give my business to. I want a place that sells HIGH quality cars and not junk. Someone who actually has the cars they advertise. ALSO, WHAT DIECAST CAR MAKER makes the BEST replica cars that atually look like their full size counterpart ? I am new to buying diecast cars and see that Greenlight has some good looking cars. For those of you who are more experienced in diecast car collectiong, any tips on what to look for & what to STAY AWAY FROM, is appreciated. The car scales i am looking for are 1:18 scale
Model Maker

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Franklin Mint is the only one that comes to mind other than the bigger matchbox collectors' series. There's a company that makes 1:18 scale replicas (made in China - of course), but I can't remember what their name is at the moment. Maisto is one that makes motorcycles, and cars. You can check them out on evilbay, or go to their website to see what kind of quality they have available now. The stuff they've had in the past has been pretty impressive.

~ Chris​

·
Registered
531 Posts
I used to dabble in diecasts. Most of mine came from Replicarz and Prestige Diecast. Not sure if they're still around but never had any trouble. Seems like Ertl does more movie cars than anyone else but surely there are others.

Kyosho and Autoart are two very good makers although there are some that are more detailed and expensive. They are good mid range makers.

Someone mentioned a while back that diecast prices had taken a jump. Figures, just like everything else that is imported. Dollar shrinkage and increased transportation costs.

·
Registered
923 Posts
for 1/18 th scale I've collected GMP,Ertl,Highway 61,Lane and some other less quality ones,Ertl has made a few movie cars but mostly muscle cars with different levels of quality and accurarcy,some of highway 61 was upscale Ertl sometimes but had other toolings as well,GMP and Lane are very nice but are kinda pricey,but no TV or movie cars come to mind

1/25 you have Dandury and Franklin mints,I've seen good and bad from both and I used to collect 1320 bu that was all vintage drag cars

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Being you want movie cars you may be limited to a specific model by a specific company. For example, how many 1/18 Munsters Koaches are there? You may not have a lot of room to choose between 10 models of the same car, as probably only one model is available from brand X or Y and you must decide to buy it or nothing versus it or something better.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see some cars that look very poor and almost nothing like what they are suppossed to be. Once i find a good company i will stick with it.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
With die casts too there is a huge gulf in quality between the GOOD ones and what most people buy. You definitely get what you pay for in a $200 die cast compared to a $19 Wal Mart one.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I see some cars that look very poor and almost nothing like what they are suppossed to be. Once i find a good company i will stick with it.
What brands are you looking at? I know that not every single company makes a quality model car replica, but what genre you're looking at may not be readily available, or even exist. Some companies make a decent version of the batmobile, but only a few make one worthy of owning.​

~ Chris​

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was looking at ETRL and greenlight. I bought both the mustang & charger through amazon however, it was sent thru fed/ex smartpost and it shipped a week after i ordered it and then it arrived at the sacramento , calif. center then on the same day june 9 it suppossedly was scanned as departing that facility and arriving at my local post office with an arrival scan which was untrue, the fed/ex site now says it is still in transit, to my post office and was due to be delivered on june 13. There are tracers on it from both amazon & fed/ex and fed ex has stated that it looks like a theft has happened while in fed/ex custody. I am not happy at this point. sorry for the rant but i need to re purchase these. I hear that ETRL has the best cars however i do not know about these things.
Bert

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
That sounds just like F*&ked up Ex! They break your stuff, and make you pay for it. In this case they STEAL your stuff, and make you pay for it. Someone was interested in what you had coming - this is exactly why I use the U.S. post, or UPS. I haven't had anything stolen from either one when shipping to customers. I'm totally NOT surprised in this case - it's par for them. :rolleyes:

~ Chris​

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
I wouldn't say Ertl has the "best" cars... their stuff is on the Wal Mart level. Its not the worst, but its not top shelf by any means. There stuff is still mass market, mainstream. But, it depends what car you want. If you want a particular car they may be the only one who makes it.

I wanted the Goldfinger Aston Martin car since I had the Corgi toy as a kid. I sucked it up and bought the Danbury Mint one when it was retired. It was a couple hundred dollars but its SWEET. It is as good or better than most model kits as far as both detail goes and also workmanship.

Fed Ex is the WORST and UPS is not much better. Fed Ex just left a huge box of kits sitting in my driveway today... Its like the delivery shrub couldn't even be bothered to drag it up to my sheltered door, or put it on my screened patio. Looks like he just did a drive by and pushed the box out and drove off. Dumb ass...

·
Registered
531 Posts
It seems as though most movie items are licensed and there will probably only be one licensed maker for 1/18 scale cars. So your choice may be made for you in most cases. I'd use Google and maybe an ebay search to see what is available for a given subject. Like I said before, I think Ertl does the most movie cars and they are usually decent. Letdowns are usually interior/dash, big door and hood hinges. But body and paint are usually pretty good.

We're pretty lucky with deliveries. A few years ago our USPS carrier lost a couple. He retired and since then, all carriers are batting 100%.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
my package has gone missing after showing an arrival scan and departure scann almost a week ago i think it was stolen as it shows an arrival scan at my post office but they did not recieve anything plus fed ex now says it is in transit still and cannot make up their minds and i am getting double talk from them. i bought them through amazon .com who are great to deal with because they take care of you & have started their own investigation. they said they must wait until the 20th and if it doesn't show up, they will replace my stuff and ship it overnight to me at their cost. fed/ex smart post isn't that smart at all.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Fed Ex is the WORST and UPS is not much better. Fed Ex just left a huge box of kits sitting in my driveway today... Its like the delivery shrub couldn't even be bothered to drag it up to my sheltered door, or put it on my screened patio. Looks like he just did a drive by and pushed the box out and drove off. Dumb ass...
my package has gone missing after showing an arrival scan and departure scann almost a week ago i think it was stolen as it shows an arrival scan at my post office but they did not recieve anything plus fed ex now says it is in transit still and cannot make up their minds and i am getting double talk from them. i bought them through amazon .com who are great to deal with because they take care of you & have started their own investigation. they said they must wait until the 20th and if it doesn't show up, they will replace my stuff and ship it overnight to me at their cost. fed/ex smart post isn't that smart at all.
As I said before, people - PAR for them!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I spoke to fed/ex smart post as well as amazon.com & fed ex is investigating one of the drivers for theft in this matter, it seems that they had it in their possession and there were NO stops along the way and they scanned it as recieving it & leaving the facility with it and cannot explain the disappearance. Fed/ex still insists it is in transit on the tracking page. they must employ some REAL LOW LIFES !

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Investigation by both Amazon .com & FED/EX uncovered theft by 2 FED/EX employees, a driver & warehouse dock worker. the 1 employee had some other things in his car and upon a search warrant in his house, found a large stash of shipments going to be sold on EBAY, I hope they FRY both scumbags.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
THAT SUCKS!!! I'm sorry that you got mixed up in all this. I guess that it was meant to be - meaning that you are probably instrumental in catching these devils! If you hadn't said something and been so adamant in them investigating, they would probably have gotten away with it for a while longer. You probably saved a lot of people some grief. With a little homework, and a lot of patient researching, they might be able to unite some of these packages with their prospective owners once released from evidence.

~ Chris​

1 - 20 of 33 Posts