Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
This post doesn't really have a point but I was curious to see if there are any other Hot Wheels fans here.
Over the past ten or so years ever since I've been earning my own money, I have found buying and collecting Hot Wheels cars to be a fun, casual hobby. The basic models - as opposed to the jazzy ones which change color when exposed to water, etc - cost 99 apiece so if you enjoy toy cars they're good, inexpensive, quality fun.
Since I've been doing this for a while now, I can look at any of the cars I have and place it to a particular point of time in my life, where I was, what I was doing around then, or sometimes, who gifted it to me. I have a Citroen rally car gifted by a cousin and I remember rolling it around while studying for my 10th class exams. I also have two identical '65 Ford Mustangs: a girlfriend and I used to keep one each and when we broke up I got both as part of the alimony. Good times. My collection has become like a journal to me, albeit one with wheels.

Topic has been undeleted. User had added a bad url to their post, however we are keeping the topic.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
We have many Hot Wheel lovers here. I think our fearless leader, Milton Fox Racing is into them.

I have only a few. This being a modeling forum most here will probably only have a few.

But if you click on the forums tab at the top, between home and models you will find the Diecast links.
I think they are probably the busiest on hobbytalk!

Enjoy! This is a nice place to hangout and Welcome!

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
I tell this again. Because..... YOUY ASKED FOR IT ! I was driving.... Let me rephrase that.

I'd had my license revoked and got them back and was doing an auto to man transmission change over on a 55 Chevy before HWs came out. It wasn't until 1990 that I got the bug. Oddly started with beaters, of the Chaparral, J-Car, MkIV FORD and Lola. I did a concourse restoration (I now call them "replications.") on them.

Don't get me wrong we used to race MOY's down the driveway when I was a kid. But those aren't 1/64th'ish cars. (1/64 scale is a generality.) And we didn't have a track. I got the bug in 1990 it wasn't for collecting purposes. It was for models to draw by. Then my OCD took over and the rest is history. I still use them to draw by. But now I'm into customizing and replications of historic and popculture cars and occasionally a custom. Over the last 30 years the "replications" led to the development of 3 stables of cars. One of which I've been fascinated with ever since I was a kid racing MOYs down the driveway. Chaparral... I watched them as an 11 year old. The Cunningham....I painted 3 of them on the back wall of my import car shop in 1973. Odd car for HWs to come out with. Even stranger how many Cunningham variants you can make from the HWs, C4R. And Group 44. We watched them race at local tracks for ten years.

I realized back in October of 2019, I wasn't going to be able to wait around long enough for die-cast manufacturer's to come out with the rest of the cars I needed to complete the 3 stables. I had too much time invested and was too close to completing all 3 stables not to do something. I decided I was literally going to have to take matters into my own hands were I to see these stable "completed" to my satisfaction. I tried several mediums that I could afford or work. 3D printer wasn't even considered because I could neither afford; nor work one. Wood offered itself as promising with the first attempt which was a Chaparral 2H. A simple shape. Since October I've rapidly been able to advance my skill level of whittling wood and have almost completed the three stables. After which I plan on not painting a car white for at least a year.

Since what I was dealing with to build the stables was no longer die-casts. And I wanted to keep documenting the stables progress on Hobby Talk. I chose this board to post that progress. And in surfing through the the other posts I was led here to respond to what I see as some "likemindedness."

Sorry for the soliloquy .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts