Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am just wondering if anyone has ever filed a claim againsted a delivery service like UPS or USPS when they had put ins on the package and it came in damaged. how does it go and how did things go for you?,,,,,also, if the item you had coming was no longer made and unobtainable to be replaced,,,,,do they pay however much you paid for in insurance?,,,,,

R

·
0 Posts
if you can substantiate the value, they will pay you what you insured it for, but you have to prove it

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have never filed a clam personally, but as seller on ebay I had a buyer receive the Item damaged, If I was to procede with the clame the buyer has Or had to give the damaged item to the Post office before the amount clamed on the package would be claimed, The buyer and I came to a settelment on our own in the form of a slight refund and was therefore able to keep the item !
I also bought a pin set from the Coca-Cola store in Atlanta, it arrived with a broken glass, I called the store and they sent me a new one, I was able to keep the old one and the store said they would recover the loss from DHL, so I got two pin sets and what happened on there end is beond me !! Other than that I have had no problems so far !
I had another buyer calm damaged goods but He didn't purchase insurance, I also offered a partial refund or a full refund less the return shipping, The buyer said no problem, I can fix it, the thanks I got was a Negative Feedback, Oh well, can't win them all I guess ! Don't know if I answered any of your questions, sorry for the ramble !

·
Banned
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
but what if its like a family airloom and its only priceless to you?,,,,,,you insured just to try and make them be careful but,,,,they lost it or ruined it?,,,like a photo from wayyyyyy back?

·
Registered
332 Posts
If you file a claim w/USPS, they will only pay the declared value that it was insured for. The merchandise then becomes their property. They can make you prove its value if you try to take $100.00 insured value on a $5.00 die cast. They can also deny your claim if it was poorly packaged by the shipper. Even if USPS was at fault for the damage.
Been there, Done that & current USPS employee...................:wave:

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
Never put in a claim for damage and I've since stopped insuring packages. I figured that any future loss I incur I more than make up on the money I saved not insuring packages. Having said that, I do insure packages over $100 but only to safeguard against it going missing, not worrying about damage as much. I will occassionally insure a package between $50 and $100 but not every time. Depends on the seller I guess.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
checking in late on this one...

I sold a Topper JL racetrack on eBay. It was bid up to about $180.00. Sent it UPS, insured it for the final bid amount. The buyer never got it. UPS said it was delivered such and such day and time, but couldn't produce a signature or any other proof. I sent a printed copy of the eBay web page with the closing price, and pointed out that this couldn't be readily replaced. They sent me a check for $180.00, I sent the buyer a check for $180.00. Here was the hitch: I did this at UPS in a Staples store. I had to file the info with Staples, who in turn had to file the info with UPS, who sent a check to Staples, who cut me a check. Big, time consuming mess. UPS, for their part, was very professional and organized and helpful when I finally contacted them... Staples, on the other hand, were a bunch of morons. They never seemed to have a clue what was going on when I asked for updates. I remember at one point the girl at the counter offered the opinion that the buyer was trying to scam me and UPS. Whether or not that was the case, UPS was proceeding with the claim and I didn't ask for her opinion...

Lesson learned: deal with UPS direct if you use them.

--rick

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
I have only had one item ruined in shipping. It was a small B&W TV I had in my college dorm room. I send it UPS and when it arrived home the tube was busted. I simply took in the shipping receipt, two ads showing replacement cost and they took the T.V. Two weeks later, I got a check. It was really no hassle.

·
Premium Member
5,478 Posts
I got a package from someone on ebay, and it was insured. It came all messed up, and damaged the card. The post office told me that the car was alright, and I had nothing.

...So I said, the package with the car inside was in mint condition, and I won it for "X" $ (produced the ending auction page) the guy behind the counter basically took the car, and gave me my money (begrudgingly, I may add-like he was doing me a favor)!

So From now on I don't insure nothing- it's a scam!!
Just pack it bombproof (or like eggs!! :) and put delivery confirmation on it, and it will be fine.

It sounds as if the Post office doesn't care if the card is mint, so...pack it like you'd want yours packed, and track it, and leave it at that.

·
Slotcar Fanatic
13,013 Posts
wlpaul said:
So From now on I don't insure nothing- it's a scam!!
Just pack it bombproof (or like eggs!! :) and put delivery confirmation on it, and it will be fine.
Stopped insuring a couple of years ago. Just pack it up real nice and get the confirmation works great for me.

Had a guy claim that his stuff was messed up when he opened the box, couldn't get him to return it for a refund and I offered to cover the shippping back. He said he could fix it. Go figure, probably wasn't broke either. :freak:

:thumbsup: rr

1 - 11 of 11 Posts