Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to build this kit. I bought the separate kit rather than just using the Robot from the Chariot kit.

Has anyone built this kit and if so, what did you do with it? Did you make a base for it, perhaps a re-creation of the original Aurora base in this smaller scale? Did you use the Robot in conjunction with some other kit(s), and if so which one(s)?

I'm looking for ideas and wanted to see if anyone has already built this kit.

I also bought the separate little Flying Sub, minisub and diving bell kit, but when I build this it will either be as a display in it's own little case, or else on a custom ocean base. to incorporate all three vessels.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
I built him. IMHO he isnt too good... Mostly the model suffers from simplifications. There is a lot of clean up on the legs, and the way the "feet" are split in half, the sides are totally smooth and lack any of the prominent detail there. The few small parts like the neck sensors are clunky and thick. Its actually not as nice as the little Johnny Lightning die cast, pre finished robot without some work. Having said that, hes not hard to work with and detail, if you wish. There is a resin base available, although for its size I think it is vasty overpriced ($19?). You could make a new one from Pronto or Sculpy to either match the Aurora base or whatever look you want. I thought of trying to use some small, flexible drinking straws to make different arms. I could stuff them with epoxy putty to hold their shape, and paint them.

The simple TSDS decal sheet for the mini Flying Sub and Robot is worth a look see. There isnt much for the Robot but what you get is better than nothing. The FS decals are quite nice and save you masking the docking ring and fin stripes.

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
I want to build this kit. I bought the separate kit rather than just using the Robot from the Chariot kit.

Has anyone built this kit and if so, what did you do with it? Did you make a base for it, perhaps a re-creation of the original Aurora base in this smaller scale? Did you use the Robot in conjunction with some other kit(s), and if so which one(s)?

I also bought the separate little Flying Sub, minisub and diving bell kit, but when I build this it will either be as a display in it's own little case, or else on a custom ocean base. to incorporate all three vessels.
I have built him with the Chariot and I bought one for the Space Pod, and I just got another one with the 19 base from CultTVman just to display along side the PL version. I will use Henry's photoetch for him when its ready.
Mike

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
Hi Mike,

Actually, the photoetch is from ParaGrafix. ;)

The photoetch is in, I'm just waiting for the decals from JT Graphics and those should come in this coming week. Once they're here, it's just a matter of packaging all the pieces.

It takes care of most of the issues mentioned above (including the neck sensors), and is setup for lighting the front panel if desired.

Cheers,
Paul

·
Registered
1,499 Posts

I was disappointed that it didn`t come with a base.For the size it was pretty expensive.Still pretty cool though.

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Hi Mike,

Actually, the photoetch is from ParaGrafix. ;)

The photoetch is in, I'm just waiting for the decals from JT Graphics and those should come in this coming week. Once they're here, it's just a matter of packaging all the pieces.

It takes care of most of the issues mentioned above (including the neck sensors), and is setup for lighting the front panel if desired.

Cheers,
Paul

You're right Paul, thats what I was thinking...too much egg nogg still in the sytem!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts