Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought the 1/72 scale Revell re-issue of the FM Millennium Falcon.
I want to add lights and I found a set removed from the Hasbro Legacy toy. This features a speaker with various sounds and phrases, various ship lights and circuit boards and several buttons. I was able to buy if for about 20.00. I'm planing on putting the batteries outside of the ship and disassembling the engine unit to get the lights out of it. I've looked on the internet to see if anyone's done this, but can't find that anyone has. If it works, I'll have alot of features at a bargain price for a lighting kit. I'll model the Falcon with ground support cables so I can power the ship's features in a diorama. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Sure sounds like a plan.
No reason why it shouldn't work.
I would take a number of photos of the original system, just in case a connection comes loose, or breaks, during the refit and you don't know where the wire goes.

I have never seen inside the Hasbro toy, but be careful if it uses light bulbs instead of LEDs as they can get hot and melt styrene plastic.
If they are light bulbs, you may be able to replace them with LEDs (Including dropping resistors.)

Alien

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Sounds like a reasonable solution and I love the idea of all the features it provides. Nothing wrong with a big bang for a buck. How does the size of the toy's engine assembly compare to the kit parts?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How does the size of the toy's engine assembly compare to the kit parts?

It's way bigger- I'm gonna try and take it apart for the leds inside.

·
Registered
557 Posts
It looks very well made. Not like the usual shody electronics that you find in many toys that are just made to the lowest possible price point.
The circuit board even seems to have connectors for the wiring.. Luxury:thumbsup:
(i.e Wires are not just soldered straight onto he board.)

Good luck. It should work a treat..
Post photos as you progress. There may be others who also want to do this.

Alien
As they say in electronics: ' J-FET MOS-FET Bobba-FET '
Whoops! I think that last one may be from Star Wars.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts