Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D I keep hearing a rumor that Lindberg/Hawk is going to buying out the AMT/ERTL tooling.... Has anybody else heard this???? :confused: I'm an admin at a builder oriented modeling site & this is a main topic of disscussion.... :)
THANKS!!!!

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
That's an interesting rumor.
I wonder if "Hawk" has the capital available to buy the RC-2 package.
I understand that the assets RC-2 wants to sell as a package includes several Die-Cast lines.
Not just AMT - MPC - Polar Lights plastic tooling.
I have heard that RC-2 is not interested in selling the Plastic Kit assets as a separate package.

Dave

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well that was quick!!!! Thing is I've heard rumors that everybody from Dave Burkett(The Model King) to R/M is gonna be buying them out, I've also heard an alarming rumor that they might sell the tooling for SCRAP!!!! :mad: :cry: That would be the worst possible outcome....I'm hoping above hope that the Lindberg/Hawk buyout is true, that would be the best of all possible outcomes.... Hey maybe they buy the diecast tools & sell them to somebody else or maybe lease them.... Guess we'll just to wait & see.... :)

·
Registered
587 Posts
If Hawk bought the whole package, they may be able to sell off the Die-Cast stuff (assuming they don't want it) by itself to a third-party...

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Maybe Hawk could buy it all and sell off the Die cast---That's a BIG gamble...
The Die Cast market is GLUTTED and the cost of raw materials hs gone way up, the reason RC-2 hasn't found a buyer is that nobody wants the Die Cast stuff.
Revell-o-gram just converted several new items that had been planned as Die-Cast kits to Plastic mainly because Zinc costs have gone thru the roof.

My understanding is that the new owners of Hawk /Lindberg have just shelled out to buy all the assets of Hawk from Testors and all the Assets of Lindberg from their previous owners. That probably means that they have a big lump of new debt already I really wonder if they can come up with quite a few million for the RC-2 assets.
(One unconfirmed rumor was a $25 million asking price)

Dave

·
Registered
343 Posts
At least if Hawk does buy the package, there might be a good chance of seeing some models reissued someday. We had to wait a while for the Frantics to see the light of day again, but at least they finally arrived.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Time will tell,
From what I've been told RC-2 has not had a satisfactory offer.
I also understand that they are in no hurry to break up the package that they want to sell.
I hope that those tools find a good home with a company that understands the hobby business.

Dave

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Amen Brother!

·
Lifetime Quacka
1,725 Posts
Between the capital needed and the connections necessary to make a model company fly, it sounds like the list of qualified candidates for sucessfully purchasing and saving the molds must be kind of short,eh? Scary thought.

·
Registered
280 Posts
That's a BIG gamble...
The Die Cast market is GLUTTED and the cost of raw materials has gone way up, the reason RC-2 hasn't found a buyer is that nobody wants the Die Cast stuff.
Revell-o-gram just converted several new items that had been planned as Die-Cast kits to Plastic mainly because Zinc costs have gone thru the roof.

Interesting, RC-2 selling off die cast and plastic assets, and nobody wants the die cast. Wasn’t it just a few years back that RC-2 bought Playing Mantis for JL and thought the (PL) plastic wasn’t what mattered it was all die cast.

So how is RC2 doing financially wise anyhow? Is the ship sinking while the band played on?

Like everyone here I hope someone will buy PL AMT /ERTL MPC assets and make a go of it.

Personally I hope that they do split up the assets into different modeling companies.

1-AMT and (PL vehicles) – Maybe someone like The Model King- Bring on some more Big Rigs (Mack, KW, Peterbilt...) and select car models
2- PL –MPC ERTL - Figures ... And approach Cinamolds and R/M to make some runs of figure kits.
3- AMT/ERTL, PL, MPC- SI-fi. stuff

3 Different small to mid size modeling companies making smaller runs of specific types of models. As it has been said in the past having little overhead and a limited scope of products selling internet and Hobby store sales
No-big Wally- world / Toys aren’t-us type box stores.
maybe just maybe could work.
Yea I know- it would never happen because of .........
But I like to dream anyway.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
First of all welcome to the boards!!!! Don't mind some of us here 'cause we can be a bit wacky in the lacky. :wave:

As for the rumors you're talking about Linda Smile over on Starshipmodeler started a thread on the subject oof RC2 discontinouing ALL styrene lines at the end of this year and somebody there mentioned the rumor of Lindberg buying the molds you speak of. At least some of them anyway.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Dave Metzner said:
Maybe Hawk could buy it all and sell off the Die cast---That's a BIG gamble...
The Die Cast market is GLUTTED and the cost of raw materials hs gone way up, the reason RC-2 hasn't found a buyer is that nobody wants the Die Cast stuff.

Dave
I can say this about raw materials; our local zinc mine, here in northern TN, closed several years ago. 2 months ago they had a press statement that is was re-opening by the end of this year and would employ about 300 workers. If Zinc is in this high of a demand, I can see why Die-Cast kits wouldn't sell: material cost.

Bob

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
The reason that RC-2 wanted Johnny Lightning is that there were hundreds of tools. JL has built a strong and loyal customer following.
And RC-2 wanted to get into the 1/64 scale die cast market - something they had been unsucessful at before the bought Playing Mantis.
They have announced that they intend to keep JL and The Farm Toy lines as well as the Thomas the Tank die-cast products.

The Die cast lines they are unloading are the larger scale car lines - that segment has become very competitive and with the increasing costs of raw materials, I'm guessing, less profitable.

Time will tell what's going to happen. It may be quite some time before AMT car kits are readilly available, and that's would not be all bad. If the plastic Kit assets of RC-2 go out of production for a long enough period of time perhaps other producers will look at new kits for the 1/25 scale model kit segment of the market....That would be a good thing!

Dave

1 - 16 of 16 Posts