Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK... Saw the question about the Trek kits and it naturally came to mind... are there gonna be any new Star Wars models coming out? I mean I think the last new SW model I heard of was the Jedi Starfighter or the new Slave-1 from Fine Molds (I think)... are there any plans by any company to come out with anything new? Would love to build a fleet of pod racers or maybe even the odd shaped Destroyers from Ep2... but I haven't heard anything about any of these models coming out... look at all the cool vehicles in the movies... I would think that less then 25% were actually made into models. Would be so nice to see some new ones... personally... I would love to build some of the war craft from Ep2 jedi battle scene (like the troop transport) or the hotrod that Anakin flew... that would be awesome. Don't get me wrong, I like Trek to, but there was so much more variety is Star Wars... how many times can you build a saucer with a nacelle or two or 3 or 4... it's basically just the same shape. Maybe that's just my perception.

-=> Satyr! <=-

·
Oxidation Genius
31,279 Posts
No word from Fine Molds on their next kit yet.

SMT got a C&D from Lucasfilm last year, so no more garage kit SW models from them :(.

That's about it!

·
Oxidation Genius
31,279 Posts
^I'm hoping for something they can get on the shelves in less than 3 years, personally :).

·
Registered
655 Posts
I bet they have been working on some Episode III design we haven't seen yet. There must be a reason for them saying nothing in the last two hobbyshows.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
John P said:
^I'm hoping for something they can get on the shelves in less than 3 years, personally :).
Finemolds is coming out with a 1/6 scale Jar-Jar kit next month..... Does that count?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You would think Lucas would lower the price of their licensing rights or something. Maybe we should all write out a well thought out plea to George asking him to PLEASE allow more models to come out for us. Who knows... maybe he'll take pity on us! :)

-=> Satyr! <=-

·
Oxidation Genius
31,279 Posts
We should certainly beg him to allow SMT to continue producing SW kits! Work out some kind of low-end licensing deal for garage kitmakers. Their 1/48 SW kits were incredible (I've got a B-, Y- and X-wing). And Alfred was just getting a 1/48 Falcon ready when the C&D hit!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Quote >>You would think Lucas would lower the price of their licensing rights or something. Maybe we should all write out a well thought out plea to George asking him to PLEASE allow more models to come out for us. Who knows... maybe he'll take pity on us!<<

Save your effort. The cost to get a license for a major property like Star Wars is prohibitively expensive. You got be a major player to even get your foot in the door. You want model kits. Line up some investors who have the cash and get yourself some high performance lawyers and agents.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
bil4miller said:
Quote >>You would think Lucas would lower the price of their licensing rights or something. Maybe we should all write out a well thought out plea to George asking him to PLEASE allow more models to come out for us. Who knows... maybe he'll take pity on us!<<

Save your effort. The cost to get a license for a major property like Star Wars is prohibitively expensive. You got be a major player to even get your foot in the door. You want model kits. Line up some investors who have the cash and get yourself some high performance lawyers and agents.
Y'know, everyone says that, but I tend to think that's just the line that the lawyers give because they don't want to be bothered with dollar values that don't look like the serial number off the back of your VCR.

Sure it would cost money to generate the FIRST contract...the one put in place years ago when ERTL first got the license in 1977. After that, it's just a matter of a run thru the copying machine and a secretary changing some names, dates and amounts. How much can that cost?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts