Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got more models than I can display. Anyone care to discuss particulars? I'd love to hear from you. 1:43 and 1:18 mostly, but I also have 1:24. Street, Endurance and F1. Let's talk and trade!

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
By brother, I am eat up with it!! I have several 1:18 Auto Art as well as even one 1:18 Minichamps (see photo)

But I have been mostly stricken with the 1:43td bug the last two years. As a sports car racing fan, this is THE scale for the varity I enjoy. Endurance is my primary interest, but I have picked up a few vintage F1 cars latley.

Glad to have you on the boards, look forward to many good conversations.

Ward

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'm getting my first Minichamps 64 next week from the sponsor of this Forum; apason.com. Since I don't collect larger scales, and usually only am interested in replicas of Ameican cars, I am getting the Bentleys " because I like them'! Autoart has issued quite a few replicas of American cars . I have most ( one casting of each) In fact, I think it was about 1999 when I first heard of this (new to me) manufacturer. I was able to track them down to the LA Calif area and arranged for a couple of dealers to handle some of the models. Both products are well made and well detailed for their scale size. The only problem which I recognize has to be is the cost. We are dealing with high end and well made imprted products. But not all collectors want to spend about $12 + for a model they can possibly buy for quite a bit less ade by the many "dollar manufacturers".
I do have a special appreciation for the above quality products; but the buying of many of these models sure does deplete the contents of my wallet rapidly!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
awesome! it's nice to know that I'm not the only carzy one with loads of models I can no longer keep up with. After about 600 models I started to loose track of how much I paid for each. I can't seem to quite the hobby no matter how hard I try. Just when I think I've got it under control I see something I've gotta have. Last I counted, I have about 700 1/43 and 300 1/18, most all displayed in their original boxes. Most are MC and AA, but I've got CMC and Exotos too. My favorite subject seems to be endurance cars from the 60's. I started with 1/43, but got hooked on 1/18 for a while and now I'm back to 1/43 because they are simply easier to display, but I sure do love my 1/18 F1 cars. Larger scales seem to get my blood pumping a lot harder, especially with race cars. I found that the 1/32 race slots cars a good compromise, but their quality is about the same as 1/43. I got about 200 of them before they killed my bank account and I never got around to racing them yet. I'm back to 1/43 as they are more affordable. I wish there were more high quality 1/24...
Basically I told myself that I'd reserve the 1/18 for race cars and try to keep the street cars to 1/43, but I have not kept true to my word.

I've got on a couple 1/64 minichamps and I love them, but I've been good not to spend too much on that scale. I've just got a handful that are worth in the $15 range. Recently Spark has dabbled in that scale. I try to stay away. In that scale I just stick to what happen to see at the store for $1.

Anyone looking for any particular subject matter? I've got to trim my collection as I've run out of display area.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Autoart has issued quite a few replicas of American cars . I have most ( one casting of each) In fact, I think it was about 1999 when I first heard of this (new to me) manufacturer. The only problem which I recognize has to be is the cost. We are dealing with high end and well made imprted products. But not all collectors want to spend about $12 + for a model they can possibly buy for quite a bit less ade by the many "dollar manufacturers".
The new Kyosho line of 1/64 are tempting as well. What do you think of them? Do you collect the new line of HW that are going for $4+? are they any better than the $1 HW cars?

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have the Kyosho US "Muscle Cars", - nice castings! But I still like some of the less expensive models with opening doors and/ or hoods better. I was able to get the Kyoshos from a friend of a friend directly from Japan for $8 each plus shipping. I have always been open to getting the more enhanced HWs versions since they were first issued in the mid 90s ; unfortunately when they were way overpriced at about $25 per car. Now a few of these same original castings are much less expensive in their new reissued status. I lost some money there!
But some of the new now former UHs and present Classics and Larrys Garage have become welcome additions to my collection , along with M2 Machines, GL, JL, Shrock Brothers and many other manufacturers. But except for rare/ special occasions, I try to stay within my collecting parameters of replicas of American cars only. But lately, I have become aggressive in obtaining a model of each electric -hybrid sold in the US.
And since the first new fullsize car I ever bought was a Karmann-Ghia , I now find I have a special place for these newly issued small scale models . Plus there are a few special exotics that I also want to own in small scale which do not fit within the above parameters. I guess I could possibly call myself "Insatiable II " ?

·
Registered
920 Posts
I've got about 1800 models - all in 1:43, even so, there is no way I can display them all! I have only got one real "theme" - Le Mans cars from 1969-91 - about 200 in all. Otherwise, I buy whatever takes my fancy - finances allowing.

Minichamps models are the most numerous in the collection, about 300, but, I have models from many manufacturers - in die-cast, white-metal, resin & plastic. Other than MInichamps, other makers include Vanguards, Ixo, Norev, Ebbro, Autoart, Kyosho, Neo, Spark, Bizarre & Schuco. As well as LM cars, the collection encompases road cars, vans, trucks, fire engine, busses, tractors, JGTC & DRM cars and a few motorbikes.

Most of the 1:1s date from the '50s-'80s. Only a couple are pre WWII & very few after the early '90s. Given the choice between a 1:43 Ford Cortina & a Bugatti Veyron, the Ford would come, 1st, 2nd & 3rd:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts