Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep....I'm still looking for a GOOD metalic 'gold' finish for 3P0.

The Alclad II 'pale gold' is too dark.

S&J is not very metalic looking ( could be me? )

The Krylon one step metalic gold is not bad at all ( almost like the testors metalizer look )
but its not 100% smooth.....( unless there is a way to get a smooth look with a rattle can....it may just be the nature of this gold product? ) cuz R2's satin white is from a rattle can and it looks great!

Just one more try while I still have time.

THANKS!

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey! its not a controversial subject!

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Here's an idea which I KNOW works with silver but I've never tried it for gold.

Silver RUB 'N BUFF applied over silver paint can polish it to a chrome like finish. Paint the subject as normal and let it dry thoroughly. Put some Rub 'n Buff on cloth and start rubbing it on the finish. It's extremely effective. In fact, it's usually TOO effective which is why I use this technique in moderation. It tends to make things so mirror shiny, like polished chrome or aluminum, that it has limited use for many subject.

I'm sure there is also a Gold Rub 'n Buff which I would guess would have a similar polished metal effect over gold paint. IIRC, C3PO is one of those rare subjects that is shiny enough that you could probably use this technique.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys!

I like the sound of that Rub&Buff.....where do ya get that stuff?

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Rub 'n Buff shows up in all kinds of places. It's used for simulating gold and silver leaf. I've seen it at MICHAEL'S. I've seen it in the crafts section of the local home improvement store. The tube I have right now was actually purchased at a hobby shop.

It's often used for antiquing and such so you might even find it in the paint or refinishing section of hardware store.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Brent! :thumbsup:

Theres a Michaels right down the street! I'm there!
I read up on the stuff on the net and WOW! it sounds groovy!

·
Curmudgeon
6,612 Posts
fluke said:
...unless there is a way to get a smooth look with a rattle can....
You probably already know this, but heat the can before you use it. I've done this for quite some time now, and the primers and paints I've used flow much better and produce a much smoother finish. I'm sure there are several ways to do this, but I simply put mine in a large plastic bag (to protect the can from rusting out) then let it soak in a bucket of hot tap water for a few minutes.

BTW, when you find a technique that works, let us know!

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Have you tried applying the rattle can paint close and wet? Sometimes the rough pattern appears when the can is sprayed too far away from the model

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did some more experimenting and it turns out that the S & J has the best 'metalic' finish and over all the best look!......I just didn't give it enough effort in the past.

Thanks anyways folks! :)

·
Registered
576 Posts
Hey Fluke,

Before you give the ol' heave-ho to all rattle can paints, you may wish to try this one from Tamiya:
Spray Lacquer TS-21 Gold
Item #85021

While I can't personally vouch for this particular color, I CAN vouch for this series of spray paints as I've used a number of them. Might be worth considering.

- Fred

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Fred...I will try to look into that. but time is a running out I have 3 more weeks to finish that droid.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Good Luck, Fluke. Paints should be available at your local hobby shop...either way, I'm sure you'll find something that works well.

- Fred

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Fred! I guess were going to be roomies at next years Wonderfest! far out huh? :freak: :thumbsup: ....you, me, Tony and Steve and one mystery dude....I think?

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I'll be the mystery dudette..... :)
Hello Fluke!!!!!

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
UH OH!!! Here comes trouble!!

Thats sounds good to me! or maybe you, AVP and I just get a room! :) ;)

OH BOY!!!

How the hell are ya BJ?!! its been a while! :wave:

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Been thinking about that radical "Skunk"... anyone have word about him. I know he is in Fla. someplace....Just thinking of all ya modelers and dropp'n in to say hello!!!!:wave:

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ignore that stuff about Hotels and me and any other females in the same room....That was my evil twin brother 'Fritz' who we normally keep locked up in the basement.

Me....I would NEVER even think about stuff like that! ;)

Its good to seeya kiddo! The Ol' Skunk pops his fuzzy little head up through the cracks once in a while, he's been around.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts