Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking at comm lathes and have been told that the twister comm lathe is one of the better lathes for the money.
i can get one for $80.00 with diamond bit(guaranteed to be good).
any help out there?
thanks

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Buy it! They are one of the best lathes out there. As long as it hasn't been dropped it should be fine. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanx alot.
i just wanted some reassurance.
does anyone know where to get some info on comm cutting technics and dos and don'ts of using a lathe?
brian

·
Registered
16 Posts
You should visit (rccars.com). It's devoted entirely to motors and the equipment used for them. There is a fairly large thread on lathes. This should help you with any questions you have.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I bought a used Twister for well over $100 from someone on HObbytalk and it didnt cut right. My motors didnt have any power if I cut the comm on it. I gave it to a professional RC driver named Chris Doseck who blueprinted it and reworked the entire unit-straightening the blocks and rebuilding the ways (sp?). It now cuts beautifully. I forgot what he charged me-but it was worth it!!

So to sum-up-Just because its a Twister doesnt mean a thing!!

Ray

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I have had mine for 7 years now and just this year got a new diamond, nothing wrong with the twister at all just make sure its straight and has a good bit.

·
Registered
7,342 Posts
losi b,

to answer a couple questions on tips and tricks,

I power my Twister Lathe w/ an old 4 cell pack but I use an old Tekin Motor Checker to control the power.

I set up the arm w/ nylon shims so it doesn't move around and put one drop of thin oil where the shaft rides. Spin up the arm slowly and using a black sharpie felt pen I cover the comm w/ ink so it's all black.

When cutting I make the smallest cut possible to remove ALL the black pen mark.

Dress the comm slots w/ a ground down old roll over antenna (Or a ball point pen works too, this removes the sharp edge)

ANYONE else have anything different??

·
Registered
269 Posts
Remember to clean the slots between the comm segments. I use the back side of a hobby knife. Get all the gunk out. I have been amazed at the gunk that collects there.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanx guys.
any more help?
i've got to sharpen my bit.(tips?)
also, how do you set up a new bit?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts