Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep it was time for a Career change ( about 14 years ago :rolleyes: )
So I took the plunge and decided a few weeks ago to get back into residential & commercial electrical....

Well.....today was my third day as the 'newbie' :rolleyes: with a really good company that does a little of everything and Its going really good! but man... am I sore and tired....gawd knows when I will have the energy and time to build any models.....but in a few years from now its going to worth it in a big way! $$$

Thus my question any 'Sparkys' out there?

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Troy, I guess I never told you, I'm a Lineman, well I was, Now I'm a Substation wireman. Just got done with 3 years of heavy duty electrical theory and math. If you need any help, call Steve! ;)

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
The one room in my house that I've finished remodeling, I completely rewired. I'm not a trained professional, but I do have Electrical for Dummies.
:thumbsup:

Okay, so I had a real electrician checking my work. Can I still join your club?

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Far out! .... funny I never have asked you what you did for a living to get all those rare and cool models!

The job is still going great! Got my first Dewalt last night! 18v XR! GRUNT GRUNT! oh yeah! Tomorrow I'm picking up one of those 'Fluke' voltage detector 'glow sticks' very handy.

I will be picking your brain here and there for sure!

Its song time!

"He was a lineman for the county.....
Now he builds model kits,
Searching on ebay for another kit buy....."

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well.....I.....but no one was home! :tongue:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I hope they don't call you Fluke at work. That could be embareskin. Especialy when you sign off on a job, "Wired by Fluke". ;)

I'm no pro, but I kin wire me up some stuff. :drunk:

TrainClown :jest:

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its not that hard to do.....

Just don't strip 14 guage wire while its hot with your teeth!

YOWCH!!!!! :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
fluke said:
Its not that hard to do.....

Just don't strip 14 guage wire while its hot with your teeth!

YOWCH!!!!! :eek: :eek:
Aw, 14 isn't too bad, try that with 6 LOL

Just started doing some wiring myself as a career change too.
My buddy is a union electrician. Has his journymans license. There hasn't been any work lately so he's trying to start his own business. I've been working with him. So far just re-wires (man they suck!)
Can't wait until we can get into some new construction.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tay are you going for your fisrt year card then?

As much as I hate living in the Seattle area I have to admit this is the place to be to learn...LOTS OF WORK right now.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Dumb Electrician Story Part 1:

I live in a duplex built in 1924. It has knob and tube wiring, of course.

Last year, the landlord decided to upgrade the wiring. He hired a fellow to replace the fuse boxes with breaker boxes, run romex to the bathroom, kitchen and basement outlets, and put in GFI outlets where required.

Fortunately for me, he did the upstairs first. I heard the neighbor go to the basement and complain that her light bulbs had flared and gone out and that several appliances had apparently died. I put a new bulb in one of the sockets on her circuit and it behaved like a flash bulb (for you youngsters, those were camera lighting accessories designed to be very bright for a fraction of a second, but were burned out after that).

Having verified that it was not a transitory effect, I knew exactly what had gone awry, but it took me half an hour to convince the fellow doing the wiring.

QUIZ: What did he do wrong?

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
2 things, He could have heated up the neutral, making 220V go across the bulb (instead of 120V), or he didn't tie down the neutral, but that is less spectacular. Next!

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm just a first year with limited experience so I would have to agree with Richard....sounds like the place was wired for 240 vt.

Remember Jack Nicholson in Cookoo's nest?

"A little dab will do ya"

"The next girl that messes with me will light up like a light bulb...." :freak:

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
fluke said:
Tay are you going for your fisrt year card then?

As much as I hate living in the Seattle area I have to admit this is the place to be to learn...LOTS OF WORK right now.
Haven't planned that far ahead yet.
If things work out and his business takes off, then yeah, I would like to get licenced and certified and the whole 9 yards.
If things really take off, then I will end up more as a foreman, book-keeper, and office manager :D
He is a go-getter, and a do-er, but not very organized, so I would have to take care of all the paperwork, make sure the truck was stocked, and make sure everything stayed on schedule.

Right now, things are looking pretty good. He got called up on a 3 week hit from the union hall, so me and a mutual friend are finishing up a couple jobs I was doing with him. After that, he has about 3 other jobs lined up for us roll right into. With possibly a couple of large new home to do to.
Right now, I am trying to find out what he needs to do as far as SS and workmans comp to get a payroll going.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Good Luck you guys, if at all possible, I highly recommend going for the IBEW card, the training is great and a very good safety record.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
IBEW card....

What the heck is that?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm a spark's. Iv'e been in the business for 15 years. I'm in the UK though. So I know nothing about the US system. I hope Fluke does well. Good luck.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Noted!

Now stop pushing that union stuff .....thats how people loose thier jobs and get beat up ya know! :tongue: ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts