Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont now but I used to. I was telling a couple of buddies that I actually found a wheat penny in my pocket. 1944. That doesnt happen very often now. Then Ron was saying he just got one, but looked like someone dipped it in a cleaning solvent or something. Ah, Ron... Thats a 1943 steel penny... the only year they were made.
He holds onto it for a good luck charm, had no idea we made them that way for the war. Not worth much but I told him to hold on to it. If the '44 I found was a '43 copper I would have something. Kind of fun. I look close at new coins before I pocket them.
Never know.
At first he thought his steel penny was a dirty dime?

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
I collect coins. and watch my change closely.
found a 1939 Nickel in my change yesterday. and occasionally I find
wheat back pennies. sometimes I hit the local auctions in the region I live in,
and get some pretty good buys.
I sit back and try to play dumb (it isnt too hard) and bid when I feel its a good deal. Only once have I blurted out something stupid,
An auctioneer was showing some half-dollars, and said he didnt know what they were called, I blurted out "Their Barber Halves". :drunk:
I still got the four coin package for twenty five bucks, so it worked out.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I used to have a few steel pennys but they're long gone, I really liked them. I had an Aussie half penny w/ a Roo on it that was about the size of a half dollar, but it's history too.

I did find a 2000 Susan B. Anthony dollar in my old briefcase yesterday though.

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I still get Susan B's from the change at work. I may save the next one. Usually gold dollars coins come out. I should save one of these as well.

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found another wheat penny in my change last night. And got a bicentennial from the soda machine the day before. This is getting fun again, and a cheap hobby at that. Just look at what I already have.

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
Found another wheat penny in my change last night. And got a bicentennial from the soda machine the day before. This is getting fun again, and a cheap hobby at that. Just look at what I already have.
Is that the coin with the drummer?

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, the drummer. 1977. I didnt think much about them when they first came out. They still pop up in change.

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oops... double post.

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The bicentennials are getting harder to come by. They are 33 years old. The wheat penny got its name for the back design.

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The new gold dollar coins are cool.

I believe (not sure) this is the first time the side rim was stamped.

·
Registered
4 Posts
im a collector..i have a load of coins now..both old and new..and from a lot of different countries..then it becomes more interesting..

·
Registered
750 Posts
I like to collect paper money. Red and blue seals, silver and gold certificates, hawaii notes, and star notes.

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I may have opened up a Pandoras Box on the dollar coins.
Interesting reading...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presidential_$1_Coin_Program

I used to have some Confederate notes, wish I had them now.
I was telling my friends to just wait until the new quarters went through. Dont save them but buy them "mint" from the mint. It happens. I'd hate to pay for all of these $1.00 ones at once though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts