Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Starship Class
11,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not meaning to be intrusive, but I am a big fan of 19th century technology and would love to see any layouts or links to layouts of 1840-1860-- especially 1850s--era train sets and towns.

I don't have trains but have always dreamed of getting up a set one day.

Any help would be appreciated.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Most of the engines are pretty lame. I'd pick the MDC-Roundhouse 4-6-0 or one of several 4-4-0 engines, and MDC old time passenger cars. Buildings are easier to find. The early railroad practices are the main attraction of that era.

·
Starship Class
11,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info!

What's a good company to order from online or to get a good look a the products?

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
I have some trains in my hobby store. Three of them are from the 1840's. The John Bull, The Prussian and the DeWinton Clinton. These are just the engines though, and the price is farily reasonable. They are HO scale.

I also have two of the 4-4-0's and cars from the 1860's. The engines are in HO and N scale. Let me know if you're interested.

I thought that the best RR for the 1840's would be made with The Prussian. That way you could have all those fancy European buildings from Faller, Vollmer and Model Power, beautiful countryside with churches and windmills as well as lakes and rivers. Something that looks like pre-WW1 Vienna or Austria. I have an english style horse and buggy as well as 1800's era firemen in HO scale.

·
Starship Class
11,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the links, y'all! I've already done some research but will continue.

I'm really hoping for something along the lines of 1850s America though I dig the early European stuff. It's hard to beat the look of the early train that was in "The Great Train Robbery," though I'm not sure how accurate that is. I'm assuming it's the real thing or an accurate copy.

·
Starship Class
11,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very cool! Remind me of the trains that went between Columbia and Charleston in the early days.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Railroading anywhere in the 1850s is a challenging world to recreate. The guy at SMR Trains is knowledgeable about American locomotive building practice of that time, and might be helpful. As you probably know already, American locomotives began to look as we know them, during this period.

If you like English locomotive design of this period, perhaps a setting in or near Canada might be of interest.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
I don't know if this is a help or not, but the film has original train of this early vintage...somewhere around the Civil War, which is a little later than the time period you're after, but should still represent simular railroading ideas to those eariler times.

There's a part in the 1997 movie Amistad where they show one of the jhon bull trains taking the president down a short strech of track.

·
Starship Class
11,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't know if this is a help or not, but the film has original train of this early vintage...somewhere around the Civil War, which is a little later than the time period you're after, but should still represent simular railroading ideas to those eariler times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b24wqhy0Zo

There's a part in the 1997 movie Amistad where they show one of the jhon bull trains taking the president down a short strech of track.
That movie is great :thumbsup: and yes, those are the type engines I'd like to use.

I've seen the original General. If you're ever in the Atlanta area, it's worth the trip.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
I have the Bachmann Union Pacific 119 as well as the Central Pacific Rail Road Jupiter for sale in my store, Monster Hobbies.

Also, for rolling stock, I have the Pensilvania RR and Union Pacific RR 1860 Horse Car by Mantua.

Let me know if you're interested.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts