Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently found an Ansonia Clock Company clock at an auction for which I paid a lofty $2. I found it listed as the "Unique" model in Ansonia's 1916 catalog.
I opened up the back and found the pendulum was loose inside; it easily reattached to the inside. The case came apart easily, and I am cleaning that up. It will need a complete new paint job, including the gold highlights.
I got a surprise when I took the case apart -- the mechanism started working! In fact it would have been chiming if I hadn't removed the chime earlier.
I don't think I need to take the mechanism apart -- in fact, I'm afraid to even try. I don't know anything about where to start, so I will leave well enough alone. But I think I just need to do some basic cleanup and oiling.
Does anyone know how to find manuals on these types of clocks? I just need to set up it to see if it really works. It'll be nice to have it working instead of just a very cool paperweight.
Also, how should I go about refinishing the case? It appears to be very heavy cast iron. I think I could remove all the paint, but should I worry about lead? And what kind of paint should be used to repaint it?

Jeff
Brown Wood Flooring Font Metal
Automotive tire Wood Alloy wheel Wheel Rim

·
Administrator
40,985 Posts
Value wise you maybe better off to not remove the current paint or patina.

Glad you were able to get it working, too!

If you google Ansonia clock repair there are a couple of videos and some books available. Further down are some other resources.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not too worried about the value; I just wanted to get it working properly. Fortunately, a friend responded to my FB post and told me of a clock repair shop about 20 miles away. I'll go there next week. I'm pretty excited!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts