Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this today in a bin at value village (for those that don't know, think Salvation Army, only with more of a department store feel - the bins I refer to are located in the toy section, and are filled with all the little teeny crap that they can't price and sell individually, like McDonalds toys, dinkys, action figures etc... that have been donated - fill your own bag for $2.99). So I grabbed this, a bunch of dinkys for custom pieces, a transformer, a couple of ninja turtles, and paid my 3 bucks.

was quite excited to find a slot in here (only the 4th in 3 years - I've also scored 2 tyco tracked turbo hoppers, and an artin ho lamborghini) but am a bit confused on this one - it looks like a magna steer, but it has a pin molded in. At first I thought someone had converted it, but on taking it apart, it seems to be factory rigid front (no steer), and that pin sure looks factory to me.

anyway - it runs pretty good - even without a thorough cleaning, and the weird paint scheme has no playwear (but some of the chrome is rubbed off the twin engines)

anybody out there know this car?

thanks!

john

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
That would be an AFX Screecher with the guide pin version of the chassis. They had an second version with magnets under the pick ups and no guide pin called Magna-Steering. The body is the "Fly Mobile" and came separate or in the Spiderman set. Here are some reference pages for the Screecher Series.

AFX Screechers

-Paul

·
Registered
314 Posts
It's a Screecher

That is the Fly Mobil ( # 5812 ) from the battery operated set
Spiderman vs The Fly. Should have fixed pickup shoes and guide
pin assembly. Later Screechers had steering. Sets were battery operated
with 6 D batteries.

Kevin

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Pshoe - that's a great link (didn't work in my firefox browser though - had to go all Safari on it!)

KCL - should I be running this on my wall-wart powered setup - I know that the early tyco battery op set cars can't handle the voltage (don't ask how I know, just trust me, I know!)

Omega and Tazman - I just never stop looking - for me, it's more fun to find them out in the wild. Getting them off ebay always feels like shooting fish in a barrel - very convenient if you want that specific type of fish - but if you aren't too picky, it's more fun dropping a line in a brook - and you never know what you might catch!

Thanks for the info!

john

·
Registered
314 Posts
Probably not. Might smoke the motor. If it"s the same type
motor as an old G-plus then you could swap them.
Never had one with a chassis so I don't know if they
are the same, or just switch the chassis if the wheel base
is the same.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
(snip)

Omega and Tazman - I just never stop looking - for me, it's more fun to find them out in the wild. Getting them off ebay always feels like shooting fish in a barrel - very convenient if you want that specific type of fish - but if you aren't too picky, it's more fun dropping a line in a brook - and you never know what you might catch!

Thanks for the info!

john
never thought about it that way, but that pretty much sums it up for me too. it's just more fun hunting...

--rick

·
Registered
25 Posts
That would be an AFX Screecher with the guide pin version of the chassis. They had an second version with magnets under the pick ups and no guide pin called Magna-Steering. The body is the "Fly Mobile" and came separate or in the Spiderman set. Here are some reference pages for the Screecher Series.

AFX Screechers

-Paul
:wave: I love where your link lead me, but that actual direct link to the screechers is missing a lot of photos. (broken links).
But I now have https://sites.google.com/site/wrrspeedinc/home in my favorites
THANKS

1 - 13 of 13 Posts