Hobbyist Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Using the power tap methods of soldering or hooking the rails would be easier for positive track polarity which is driver's side rail in direction of travel.
Will using the terminal track tabs cause a negative wired track if the power
tabs are on the passenger side?
The key to using a terminal track is you must cut the common connection so that you can wire all four rails individually. Once all four rails have their own "metal strip", you can wire it any way you desire.

Joe

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Dan,are you planning to wire it for brakes,or run electronic controllers.

If not,the easiest way,is just switch the power feed.

A cheap and easy way,is wire your wallwarts with an old 2 wire lamp style cord,that only has 2 prongs.
You might have to grind the one lug slightly smaller.
Then to switch direction,you just flip the plug and re-plug it in the other way.

I dug around in my storage shed,i have ( 2 ) short 18G lamp cords that have had the lug trimmed,and i found about 120 ft of old 16G extension cords,with the ends cut-off.
The extension cords vary in length,from about 30ft on down,and there's probably more then 120ft,i didn't unwind it all
You'll have to strip it,as that's work,but 16G and (18G) lamp cords are coming your way.
I have no use for the cords.
Rick

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
How many pieces of track Dan.

The general rule is for every 10 track connections you want to add a jumper,but that's only a general rule:thumbsup:.
Rick

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Well, I want this to be bulletproof, so every connection it is... LoL I'd have to count the track sections. Just a minute...

28 connections. ok, 4 or 7? LoL I've been thinking of building a second table to connect to this one, I have a second door and a line on a set of Identical table legs. I was thinking of having the left side of the track wired & soldered together, but detachable. That way they could just run the small track, or double the length. What do you think? What would be best (easiest) for connecting the power to both tables?

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
It's nice to have your jumper tracks laying flat on the table.
Less chance of track flex,that could break your solder joints.

Usually you want to have your jumpers at the start of a straight,or in the middle of a straight.

If it was me i'd do 4 jumper tracks,and put them in the straights.

You do have a start on one jumper track, it's not in an ideal spot,but it's there,and i'd wire it up along with the other taps.

Any cheap electrical plug will work to join your 2 table pieces wiring.

I've seen table joints done using cheap extension cords and a matching plug receptacle.

If you use 3 prong household electrical connectors they're very simple,and easy to plug-in and unplug.
The only downside is if the table connections are out in the open, an external electrical cord could be plugged in by accident.
If you build a small cover or use something like an outdoor covered receptacle,to keep little fingers away,you shouldn't have much problem with an external cord accidently being plugged in to your wiring:thumbsup:

Here's hoping you get some more ideas for your wiring,mine aren't nessarily the best,just ones off the top of my head.

The more ideas/tips you get,the better.
It's always nice to have several options/tips to look at,then pick the one that suits your situation the best:thumbsup:.
Rick

·
Registered
834 Posts
you might also look at automotive tail light connectors. heavy gauge wire an can only be plugged in one way. should only need one set for your track. they they will just have to hang down a little bit.

Rob

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Great tip Rob:thumbsup:
Better then an extension cord connection that could be mis-used

Rick

21 - 31 of 31 Posts