Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had it in the early 70s, maybe it came out earlier than that.

Two cups, various two-piece figure molds (front and back, open at the bottom), bags of powder that you mix with water. The figure molds are put together and go upside down in one cup, the powder mix goes in the other. The two cups are put together, then inverted so the mix runs into the mold. Maybe you shake the stuff up - seems like "Shake" may have been in the name? "Shake &" something? Not "Shake & Bake"...

After somehting like fifteen minutes or a half hour, you take it all apart and get the figure, wet and rubbery. at that point, you can stick accessory plastic signs in the hands of the figures. Over the next hour, the thing dries out and hardens, then you can paint it.

What the heck was the name of this? I want to find some of the figures or molds on e-bay or someplace, longshot thought it may be, I'd like to have them again.

Someone here told me once, like, back around '98 or '99, but I didn't write it down...said they maybe even still had some of the molds. Name didn't sound familiar though, I could have had the name mixed up as a kid or maybe another company released their own version of it.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Whoa, flashbacks to the 60's. Just step away from the bong Jeff.

Seriously, I can't help on the name but I remember the toy.

Al

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steve - you're good! I checked sites like that and never found it!

Just Plain Al said:
Whoa, flashbacks to the 60's. Just step away from the bong Jeff.
...and ya know what the little figures were in the only set I remember having? Flower children...:dude: :lol:

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
i remember that one! years later, when i started working with alginate, i realized it was the stuff the figures were cast in

·
Registered
560 Posts
Lmbo!! ;)

I can't let this go without telling you we bought one of these for my 6 year old niece last Christmas! ;) That being said, i still have all my Tonka toys and Hot Wheels, go ahead and laugh!

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Razorwyre,

Maybe you could tell me a good place to purchase Alginate? When I lived in Oklahoma, my friends and I used to buy it from a Dental Supply warehouse. When I moved to Salt Lake they wouldn't sell it to me because I wasn't a dentist!!!

- GJS

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Look for a place called Pink House or Pink Home. They sell it for spfx. Or did the last time I checked.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
http://www.pinkhouse.com/

You can pick up those little packets of stuff new mothers use to cast their little angels' hands and feet in. If it isn't alginate it is moulage and I think those are pretty much the same thing. But pricier than bulk alginate.

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Geez...flashback! WOW!

I used to have that toy only I can't remember if it was the Flintstones or some other figure...me thinks it was the Flintstones. I wonder if my parents still have it hiding someplace?

MMM

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
its available thru most special effects suppliers, including burman industries in van nuys, among others. also many arts and crafts stores sell a kit under the brand name "body parts". i'd check it out thru their website. but you probably want dental, as opposed to prosthetic, alginate

youre going to have to experiment a bit to fiind the right proportion of alginate to water for this, as the proper mix for making molds is much too thick for the toys application

ive run into that trouble wth dental suppliers. try davis dental in north hollywood, ca. since they supply fx shops as well as dentists, they dont get as uptight about selling dental materiel to the general public

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Pygar said:
http://www.pinkhouse.com/

You can pick up those little packets of stuff new mothers use to cast their little angels' hands and feet in. If it isn't alginate it is moulage and I think those are pretty much the same thing. But pricier than bulk alginate.
alginate and moulage are not the same thing, and not interchangable in this application.

and yeah pink house will sell you way too much of it, for way too much money

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
Remember these?

I just browsed this thread... and it conjured up 2 great toy memories...

remember THING-MAKER? You had this little oven thing, and little square metal molds of bugs and creatures... and little bottles of "Plastigoop" that came in different colors... out came rubbery little critters...

and then there was INCREDIBLE-EDIBLES it worked just like thing maker but you could eat them! I got in trouble once for selling incredible edibles at school... around 1967 or so...

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
I had the original Thing Maker!('65?) Plastigoop was a mess too! I also had the Kenner Girder& Panel sets('62), Marx-o-coptor('61), Marx bulldozer('60?), Great Garloo('59?), and A big Erector Set('61). I also had the American Flyer trains('59) (S guage) and Motorific Rolls Royce too('63). I even had a Digi-Comp('67?). One summer I got the Seaview, Seacrawler and one-man sub set('64). didn't look too much like the Seaview. My best and longest used Christmas('68) gift was a Tasco 50mm Telescope with 3 eyepieces. It ended up being used as the spotter scope when I made my own 6" reflector telescope from and Edmund Scientific lens kit, and heavy duty Equitorial pedestal mount. I did have a planetarium with DOME from Sears('67), that I used for about 3 years. The most dissapointing Christmas gift was the LIS Stomp-n-Go set from Sears. PEEEE-YOUUUU!!!

I seem to remember a man From UNCLE brief case that shot a red thing, and a "Sixth Finger" finger gun too. Jeez.

·
True Sprue
1,291 Posts
I had the Uncle case too, Seaveiw, Mr Potato Head, Electric Football Set, a big white tow truck with flashing lights (loved that one). And the Strange Change Machine (great toy), Trains, Slot Cars, Sting Ray Bikes, Batman Color Forms and Silly Putty. Remember the board game RISK(was huge for a time) Battle Ship, Light Brite Set, I remember the Major Matt Mason stuff but I was in my teens by then. I still messed with the Mason Crawler over a friends house. And I had some GI Joe stuff too (they weren't dolls)! The 60s and 70s had some great toys.:)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts