Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Holy Crap! That's one of the best, if not THE best, I have seen yet. That first picture is a knock out! I love the purple you used for the inner nacelles. That last shot showing the multicolor pearl aztec in closeup...man. Beautiful work!

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Can't wait to see 'proper' pictures! :thumbsup:
This is pretty much the way I want to do mine, so I'll be referencing yours where possible! Great!

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'll say this IS the best finished paint job I've seen of any Enterprise refit or -A in any forum. As far as I can tell (from the aft end of the nacelle) you've got the right amount of intensity with the pearls.

I would like to see the engineering hull paneling and saucer more close up, when you get to it.

I really like the deeper blue choice for the deflector - that was more frequent in ST:TMP than the lighter blue seen in the rest of the movies. Nice job on the engineering green tones and the outboard warp engine grilles (with the silver) - most don't catch that. I'm assuming you painted a metallic purple on the inboard grilles? I can't quite tell in the pic, though it does look like there's some reflecting going on...

So what did you end up using for the pearl paints? I like those tones - I haven't decided on what I'm going to buy yet.

·
Banned
3,134 Posts

should've sent a poet...

bellissima!

bravo!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
This is definitely one awesome looking Refit. I love the color tone. I as well would be interested in the paints you used.

Well Done!!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys!

I spent a lot of time studying Paul Olsen's work on the studio model. I ended up using a simplified version of his technique. I mixed red, green, gold, and blue pearl powders with clear automotive lacquer for my paints. I agree with Mr. Olsen here, I think lacquers are the best way to go. The airbrush never clogs, and they dry fast, enabling you to mask over and spray the next panel quickly.

All the white areas of the model are coated with a thin layer of blue, then panel effects were applied with all of the colors overlapping in various densities. For the most part, I used individual friskets for each panel. It was rather time consuming, but I felt it gave me the most control and variation in individual panels.

I designated this model as my "learner" kit. I'm gearing up to start another soon, possibly to sell. Hopefully, I can apply all the lessons I learned on this one and build the next one up nicer (and quicker)!

I really appreciate the kind words here. At one point, not so long ago, this model was angrily pitched into the garbage can. I guess I'm glad I fished it out. It has its flaws, but overall I'm pleased with the outcome.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Behold the GLORIOUS Purple warp engine lights!!

Not enough people use the purple light. It looks Beautiful!

Congrats!
Thanks Lou,

The purple nacelles are the result of a conversation with Andy Probert at Wonderfest a few years ago. He came up to our room to look over my (still) unfinished Deboer Enterprise. It was built up with blue nacelles which he advised should be purple. I figured it was a little late for that one, so I built them into this one:thumbsup:

I really like the effect. Most likely, I'll go purple on the next one as well.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Damn I wanna do some more work on mine now! Yours is awesome. Very clean model work. Great picture quality too.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Holy Frak. That is astonishing. I have to ask - are you a professional modeler? An artist? Do you do this full time? Do you build these for sale, or just for yourself? Do tell, inquiring minds want to know.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Holy Frak. That is astonishing. I have to ask - are you a professional modeler? An artist? Do you do this full time? Do you build these for sale, or just for yourself? Do tell, inquiring minds want to know.
Am I professional modeler?
Well, I've never been paid for anything I've built, so I guess the answer would be no.

An artist?
Only if you consider stick people as "art"

Do I do this full time?
I wish!....although I am laid off right now, so that's kind of what I'm doing:rolleyes:

Do I build these for sale?
I'm thinking about that possibility.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts