Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
12,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed in another thread that someone said the JLs went up to $4.44 at their local WM. I was curious of this and figured I'd take a peek at lunchtime. Sure enough, JL Precision pegs at WM were $4.44 where they said $3.96 just a few weeks ago. I'm wondering if the Licensed stuff is $4.44 and the non-licensed are supposed to be $3.96, or not. All I know is it's very confusing and getting very frustrating and expensive to deal with. The only thing keeping it from being more confusing is that there hasn't been any product hitting those pegs since the first case of CARS hit earlier this month.

Have any of our OLDs seen evidence of another price increase?

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
From what I saw this past Saturday at my local WM, regulars were now $4.44 and the licensed were $4.77 I believe. I thought about getting an Olds 88, but after seeing that price, I said no. Geesh. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
A freind of mine payed 4.44 for the same car I paid 3.96 for yesterday. Guess I better check my WM and pick up what I want befor they go up. Sounds like I could be too late.

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
I saw new JL's at WAL*MART for $4.44 yesterday.

I also noticed badly fitted parts on some of the cars, including a bent axel on one car. :cry:

I wonder what other defects I could find if I bought any and opened them. :rolleyes:

The ugly color on the GTO and 442 turned me off too.

Just hold off buying any new JL cars, they'll be selling them in Canada for $1.00 each by the end of the year!

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
my wm had 3.96 and 4.96 but the other day all pegs said 4.44.
I`m definately want be expanding my collection into any new castings or series at that price.

·
Registered
12,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
glhshelby said:
my wm had 3.96 and 4.96 but the other day all pegs said 4.44.
I`m definately want be expanding my collection into any new castings or series at that price.
I wonder if they split the difference on the licensed and made them all the same price? It'd be nice for someone in the know to speak up. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I don't buy as much as I did when I first started collecting. I used to like finding a whole 6 car series hanging and bought them. Now it's more difficult to buy them that way, but at these prices, I won't be buying many. I wonder how much the new fancy packaging added.

Time to move to Canada. Just kidding guys. It's only fair you got a shot. After all, we had two years of $1 cars at Dollar Tree. 'Course the selection and the number of Whites wasn't as good back then. :wave:

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Dadvball said:
I wonder how much the new fancy packaging added.
They better not use that as an excuse since other companies have been using that same type of packaging for at least a couple of years without an increase in price.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I was so happy to see new JLs at WM that I picked out three of them pretty fast.

Then I saw the price tags of $4.44 and I put them back on the pegs.

That's too high for me now; I was just getting used to the new $3.96 price.

Oh well...that's sticker shock for you!

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Just took a quick peek at my two favorite OLD's (and board supporters!) - $3.55 and $3.99 for regular JL's. Who doesn't love these guys???

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
OK, speaking for myself, here is truly how I feel. And if you guys find me contradicting myself later call me to the carpet.

I love Johnny Lightning. Period. No qualifiers, no if's, and's or but's. But I was collecting toy cars long before JL was ever made ( Even before the first time around, yes, I'm that old! ) And I will be collecting toy cars long after they are gone (heaven forbid). But the main point here is I love Johnny Lightning.

I so hope RC2 has HUGH success with this line for years to come. And I will continue to purchase the cars as they become available ( problem #1) and as I can aforde them ( problem #2). Nothing will ever be as much fun as finding cars in the wild. That has always been a part of the 1:64 toy car experience.

However, thanks to our OLD's my life is a bit easier on both those fronts.
Thanks to you guys, you still keep me in the car business, and with GREAT PRICING AND SERVICE! So that goes to show that a huge part of the collectors problem is the chain retial stores!

But now I am FAR MORE PICKY with JL selections. Because at those prices, I can quickly save up for large scale, more detailed toys ( GMP, AutoArt, CNC, ADC, etc...) So the point to my long rant.....I am not really interested in $.98 cent cars, and I truly don't mind dropping $3 to $4 for a great, detailed car I want. But as the JL prices just continue to soar, I have no problem in scaling back, and looking to other brands, scales to satisfy my diecast cravings!

So I will fall upon my face before the great Grand Muckety-Muck of the RC2 gods and cry for mercy! PLEEESSSEEEE SAVE MY TOY CARS! I'm willing to give you large sums of my money, but not all of it!

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
LISTEN UP FOLKS! Go back and read this thread as I just did, and see the very disturbing pattern emerging here.

Some of our most honored members have posted up above. Guys with long, quality HT histories. People like STUTZ, CTWLSMIKE, INCITFUL, RLYOUNG1, GLHSHELBY, DADVBALL and more. Members I truly respect and value their opinion. With just those names, you have over 25,000 HT post.

Point being, these people all have reservations and concerns about our favorite line. I so hope the right people read these threads and understand what the overall mood appears to be among the rank and file collectors. I sincerely hope that RC2 understands, we want this line to succeed, and are willing to support it with our dollars. But balance is the key to everything.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
70XR7 said:
Just took a quick peek at my two favorite OLD's (and board supporters!) - $3.55 and $3.99 for regular JL's. Who doesn't love these guys???
What does that price go up to per car when you add in the shipping?

I bet it is more than $4.44 per car.

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,828 Posts
travis1960 said:
What does that price go up to per car when you add in the shipping?

I bet it is more than $4.44 per car.
True, But factor in gas, sales tax which is 8.5% for me, and my valuable time and I think you come out far ahead with OLD's

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
69Stang said:
OK, speaking for myself, here is truly how I feel. And if you guys find me contradicting myself later call me to the carpet.

I love Johnny Lightning. Period. No qualifiers, no if's, and's or but's. But I was collecting toy cars long before JL was ever made ( Even before the first time around, yes, I'm that old! ) And I will be collecting toy cars long after they are gone (heaven forbid). But the main point here is I love Johnny Lightning.

I so hope RC2 has HUGH success with this line for years to come. And I will continue to purchase the cars as they become available ( problem #1) and as I can aforde them ( problem #2). Nothing will ever be as much fun as finding cars in the wild. That has always been a part of the 1:64 toy car experience.

However, thanks to our OLD's my life is a bit easier on both those fronts.
Thanks to you guys, you still keep me in the car business, and with GREAT PRICING AND SERVICE! So that goes to show that a huge part of the collectors problem is the chain retial stores!

But now I am FAR MORE PICKY with JL selections. Because at those prices, I can quickly save up for large scale, more detailed toys ( GMP, AutoArt, CNC, ADC, etc...) So the point to my long rant.....I am not really interested in $.98 cent cars, and I truly don't mind dropping $3 to $4 for a great, detailed car I want. But as the JL prices just continue to soar, I have no problem in scaling back, and looking to other brands, scales to satisfy my diecast cravings!

So I will fall upon my face before the great Grand Muckety-Muck of the RC2 gods and cry for mercy! PLEEESSSEEEE SAVE MY TOY CARS! I'm willing to give you large sums of my money, but not all of it!
I'll continue to buy JL cars too 69Stang. I will be much more selective in the JL cars that I purchase now. I bought 2 of each new JL car when they were released (one to open, one to display). I will no longer do that. RC2/JL has improved so much in the last couple of years that I don't mind spending $4.44 for a car that I like. It does however bother me that the quality control of the company that I love so much has gone downhill.

I've been collecting diecast cars since 1969. I have several thousand diecast cars from 1/87 scale to 1/12 scale. When I started collecting JL cars in 1998 I was happy to spend about $3.00 for a JL car because the 1/43 scale Brooklin Model cars that I collect kept going up in price. No hobby store in my area stocks Brooklins anymore. There just isn't a market for these expensive diecast cars. Recently I found quality 1/43 diecast cars at shows selling for about 1/3 of the original price when they were new. Of course I coundn't resist buying them.

JL is still my favorite diecast car! I just wish someone could solve the problem with quality control.

Sorry for the rant.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts