Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some starting pictures of my new build of an old PL Jupiter II I've had laying around. I'm trying to document a build for the first time, so be patient!

Extras purchased for this one:
Skyhook corrected pilot seats, TSDS newly issued fusion core light kit, TSDS deluxe decals and vinyl stickers and upper level light kit from JAI.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Man, thats looking great! Wonderful work!

I'm almost done with mine. I was going to scratch-build the cockpit seats, but I'm thinkin' of buying those resin cast ones. How are they as far as quality? Need a lot of cleanup work?

Best of luck with your build, and keep posting those progress shots!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the comment, Tim. I feel a little more free to get this thing built, without worrying about mistakes or how I'm going to make it my "masterpiece". With the Moebius coming out, I have another J2 to do. This can be my practice version!

I haven't opened the seat package yet, but they appear to be very clean, with maybe minor razor scraping. At $10.00+tax and shipping, it's a hard decision. They appear to be very accurate, despite their scale/size. I hope you will post some pics, as well!

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I highly recomend the resin flight chairs. They are top notch quality. The hardest part of installing the chairs is replacing the floor where you cut out the benches!

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
I've just started working on my Skyhook seats. They are very nice but do require some clean up. I cleaned them up raw and then put a coat of black/silver paint on. I would suggest a base coat of flat grey. This will help the fine detail clean up.
I bought a fine tip sharpie to fill in the black discs on the sides, it seams to be working.

What's that large white elevator cylinder in your first photo?
That look interesting.

Great job so far!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's right, toyroy and mach7. The elevator cage is scratched out with an after market ladder cage (styrene I think). I noticed it at the hobby shop mixed in with the plain sheet styrene I was shopping for as filler for the cut out floor. It appeared to be the correct scale, and I gave it a try. Pretty rough, but it's so small, you cannot see the cruddy cut job I did. My camera was zoomed in way too good! Ha! Look at the the second big photo at the top. You can see the ladder cage in the picture. It is still in its package before I hacked it apart. I think the real cage had 6 horizontal rungs??? Anyway, I'm pretty happy the way it turned out! Thanks for the kudos!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
More Progress of PL J2

Here are some updated pics:
[/IMG]

[/IMG][/IMG]

Astrogator, elevator cage, and pilot seats dry fitted. Upper deck ready for TSDS decals. Note the vinyl floor sticker from TSDS.
[/IMG] :wave:

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Something that really bothered me as even a young child was wrong scale. I could not play with my bigger Tonka trucks along side Matchbox cars. Each playing session had to be seperate! In fact, they weren't even allowed to "live" together in the same storage box in my room. When I saw kids playing with mutiple-scale toys, I thought they were stupid! I guess this followed me to adulthood. I love the Skyhook seats, but if John Robinson sat in one, (assuming proper body scale) and stood up to walk out the front hatch, he'd find the hatch way too tall and wide. (There were giants in the earth?) Oh well. Kinda funny! By the way, I highly recommend the Skyhook seats. They make the model. Well worth the $10.00.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
John/ Penny Pics

A little further along. I love three day weekends! Upper level totally finished. I painted some left over Spindrift people to look like season2/3 uniforms with acrylics. Also note TSDS decals. Really cool!:
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Little further along:

Here are a couple of pics of the finished upper level.

I used some left over Spindrift figures to represent Penny and John. Note the decals. It really helped this build.
[/IMG]

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Day/Night Video Finished J2

I'm attemting to load a couple of short videos of day light/night time video of my finished Jupiter II. The lighting interior is the EL sheet from JAI (thanks, Gil) and the new chaser lights for the fusion core from TSDS (thanks, Henry) Here goes:
[/ame][/IMG]
[/ame][/IMG]

1 - 20 of 30 Posts