Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had slot car tracks as a child (nothing serious) but I have been seriously thinking about getting into the hobby now as an adult. Especially after I found out you can race these competitively.

Can anyone explain a little about how competitive slot car racing works? I do some R/C but nothing serious. I do know a little about it.

I am really looking at getting the 1/32 Artin American Thunder 4 lane set as a starting point. I have a young son that I think will really like this hobby as well (especially in a year or two).

TIA!

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Slot car racing is usually set up so you race in each lane for certain number of laps or time. For example, you might set up a race to run in each lane for 3 minutes. The total length of the race for a 4 lane track would be 12 minutes and the driver with the most laps wins. Most track owners use a computer based lap counting system. The computer software keeps track of everything and all you have to do is switch lanes after each heat.

Best regards,
Brian

·
Registered
4 Posts
Charlie, I think that getting back into hobbies like slot car racing is a very good idea, especially that you have a son to share it with. Have fun!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
hi gang

i echo the sentiments of mauiguy - while at the same time being VERY jealous of his location - yeah, it's 20 below zero and snowed here AGAIN last night!!

this is a GREAT hobby/sport/obsession to enjoy with the WHOLE family, even the girls - my two nieces LOVE it!!

as for picking artin .. why?? if it's a "money" thing, then okay (i guess), but if it's not ...

you REALLY should consider one of the other major brands (scx, scalextric, ninco or carrera), for a number of reasons - artin has lousy cars, a lousy power supply, lousy controllers etc .. the big one, tho, is that artin is very "hard" plastic, allowing little (or zero) flexing or movement .. when playing with kids, this MIGHT come into play! also, the joining system is hokey, compared to, say. scalextric classic/scx .. do some more research, ask a few questions here, and don't find disappointment with your eventual purchase! we need enthusiasts in the hobby, not underwhelmed racers!!

many will disagree with me, but my advice :
if ya aren't going digital, i would recommend SCX or scalextric "classic" (completely compatible with each other), beacuse of the lugs that hold the track together

if, on the other hand, you think digital might be in your future, then buy ninco, and (patiently) wait for n-digital to arrive (soon we are told!!) .. ninco seems to have solved MOST of the little quirks of the other makers

cheerio ..

the alberta clipper :jest:

·
Registered
20 Posts
hi gang

great link there .. great info .. i wonder tho, as the US distributor for Artin, if the opinion might be a "little biased"

i have a couple of issues ...

1. "This proves you DO NOT need to have additional specialty track to design a fun layout." .. that's true i guess, as long as one is okay with R1s and R2s .. personally, i prefer R3s and R4s though!! also, SCX/Classic provides so many other "trick track" pieces (crossovers, squeezes, pit lanes, leMans starts etc etc etc) .. heck, Classic has a 30-40 year lead on all other systems!!

2. "It is an easy track to assemble and disassemble, a hard plastic instead of flexible one" .. really?? it seems to me that flexible track would be easier to assemble and (more importantly) disassemble!

3. "these cars make great beginner cars for younger (and older) racers to bang around and learn to drive" .. again, this might be true, but the scalextric AudiTT/Porsche Boxster series is also very robust, has few (if any) parts to break and will provide much better performance .. a racer needs to learn how to race, not drive!

4. " you can still design a fun, challenging course with this track" .. see point number one

5. "It is the best system to not only start your hobby, but one that can grow over time" .. i personally believe that any of the other systems "grow" better, as a result of more varied track sections, better power and controllers, and way better cars!! and, when talking about the variety of track available, nothing is better (or more varied) than SCX/Classic!

6. "The main reason I didn't prefer this track was the racing surface is not smooth. The surface of the track is almost abrasive in nature" .. really?? it's shreading yer tires?? c'mon .. the fact is (IMHO) that textured track is better when running stock tires, and smoother track better when upgrading to "aftermarket" tires - but i also don't think of this as a "deal breaker" .. ninco seems to be the "king" of plastic slot car club tracks

as for the price, with some looking, SCX/Classic sets can be found on a "certain auction site" at very reasonable prices .. i just bought a large set for under a hundred bucks US - used but in fabulous condition ...

so, all in all, i stand by my recommendation .. but please read the info provided by this link .. it's generally pretty good ..

the best point he makes is this : "Sometimes analysis leads to paralysis. Don't let this happen to you, because in the end it really doesn't matter what brand you choose, just get started in the hobby!" i couldn't agree more!!

one last thing .. here is a poll, conducted on another forum, asking what brand people have bought .. the additional comments might be of some use too ..

track poll

cheerio ..

the alberta clipper :jest:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Most tracks run several classes. like GT: Supra's, NSX,350Z , BMW , Mosler, etc. leMans Prototypes: GRPC , GT1, GTPs,etc. Porshe Cup: 911s. NASCAR, EU Super Trucks. CanAM; Porshe 917s, Ferrari 312s, Maclaren MK6,8,10,etc. TransAM: Camaros,Mustangs etc from the late 60s early 70s. These are mostly limited as to what you can do to them {ussualy only tires and/or magnets may be changed}. There are also classes for modern F1, IRL, Classic Sports cars, classic F1 etc. Some tracks are also running open classes, where you are allowed to modify your cars with after market speed parts. The better tracks also have a novice class for the new racers that are just getting into the hobby.
Most tracks run what is called a round robin style race, where every driver runs every lane in rotation for a certain time period, 2,or three min. is the norm.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies.

One more question - Are the different brands of 1/32 scale cars interchangeable? Can one brand of car run on another brand of track?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Most brands of cars will run on all of the brands of track. Scalextic, SCX, Carrera, Ninco, Slot-it, Fly, etc will run on all the latest track. You may have to change guides on some cars to run on SCX,Scalextric Classic, or Artin, but that is an easy fix. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just purchased the Artin two lane track from kbtoys.com....I got it for $59. It's a steal....yes, the cars are lousy, but I already have some cars to race on it. I will b e upgrading the power though, soon. However, for the price, it will be hard to find 30 feet of track for $60. But, just starting out, may be it is a good idea to get a set that comes with decent cars.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just have fun

My 2 cents, I would rate Artin 2nd to Carrera "on my list". I own both, if your setting up a track in a garage,basement where moisture may be present. These are your best choices as they are the only brands with Stainless rails. No rust !!!. As for running any car, both these brands will handle any 1/32 guide without trimming. I`m using the Artin for a 6 lane oval, utillizing R2,R3,R4 radius turns.
:thumbsup:
Derby City Speedway

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys for all of the info. I bought a two lane Artin set online that came with 2 stockers, grandstand and lap counter. I have had it a couple of days and I am ordering more track tomorrow.

Now I just have to talk the wife into letting me build a setup in the house.

My MIL lives in Louisville. The next time we visit I am ducking out and checking out Derby City.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts