Hobbyist Forums banner

Another Mega G Question

2K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  beast1624 
#1 ·
Anybody else here have issues with the front end of the Mega G 1.7 chassis being too "floaty"?

I have 2 Mega G 1.7's, one with the F-1 body, and the other with the Peugeot body. Both run pretty good on straights, and long sweepers, but as soon as I get on the tight twisty sections of the track, I have to slow down to almost a crawl. If I attempt to give either 1.7 chassis some speed through this section, the front end "floats" right out of the slot, and the car slides down the track.

I don't have this problem with the one 1.5 Mega G chassis I own. And it's not a problem with any of the stock SG+ chassis, which will fly right by the long wheelbase Mega G's on the twisty section of the track.

I'm considering gluing some kind of weight into the nose cone section of both cars in an attempt to get a little more front end downforce.

Anybody have some advice or other ideas?

#8 ·
'doba

How do I adjust the shoe tension? Both of the 1.7 chassis do seem to be a little more stiffly sprung than the 1.5 chassis is.
Dave-we have been racing the 1.7 cars this year in our series and have learned a great deal about them through trial and error. You are right. Some of them have a tendency to 'lift' due to stiff pickup shoe tension. You can compress the springs to soften it up a bit but you have to be careful as these springs have a tendency to get out of shape pretty easily. One thing we found to adjust the shoes: on the flat of the shoe where it rests on the track, then it curves up into the chassis to go over the brush barrel, if you bend this curve to the front of the car (closer to a 90' angle) this will lighten the shoe tension. If you bend it to the back of the car (flatter) that will increase the tension...but be careful as a very small adjustment will make a big difference either way. Then adjust the flat of the shoe so that it is riding pretty much flat and not cutting much of a groove (not on the tip or on the back of the shoe). This has helped our handling and cornering, even on those pesky 6" radius turns, tremendously. From what we have found the 1.7 chassis is as sensative to shoe tension and adjustment as a T-Jet FRAY car.

#5 · (Edited)
TK Solver

I can't do anything about the tight twisty turns. It's not my track, it belongs to a slothead friend of mine, and he LIKES those tight twisty turns.

And as I mentioned, that section of the track isn't a problem for any of my other cars. Even my one stock Tyco 440x2, will sail right through, and past the two 1.7 mega g's on those turns.

And it's the slowest car in my collection.

#7 ·
Chop 1965

Yes, all 3 chassis have lower profile tires on them. Also, one of the two 1.7 mega g's, and the 1.5 mega g has stronger traction magnets added also.

That setup improved the handling/performance on the 1.5 mega g quite a bit.

But as I mentioned, the 1.7's are light and floaty on the front compared to the 1.5 and other cars I have.

#10 ·
Beast 1624

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to try bending the pickup shoe as you described. Although it's going to be a few weeks before I'll be able to tell any benefits. The friend whose track we race on, is out of town, and I dont have a track of my own (no space!).

But I'm really looking forward to trying this. Those new 1.7 bodies are so well done, it would be nice to have the chassis perform as good as the bodies look!

Also, I was wondering. Has anyone in your club tried shortening the springs? That was something else I considered, but didn't want to try because I don't have replacement springs yet to replace if it didn't work.

#17 ·
Tom

I have tried the extended pin, on other chassis. And I'm assuming that due to the lower profile tires that I have on all my cars, and the old Aurora track we race on. The pin is too long.

Didn't try it on the 1.7 Mega G though. As I mentioned, I'm assuming that it would be too long on it also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.