Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,Some more sad news for the hobby world.A long time hobby store here in NYC has closed his doors for good.Americas Hobby Center on W 30th street in Manhattan since 1931 is gone.He has a store in NJ too,that store I believe is still open.Another sign of the times,that hobbies,aren't what they used to be.Boy I tell you,I live in one of the biggest cities in the World,and very little to almost nothing now,in the way of model kits.Guy Schlicter.

·
Curmudgeon
6,598 Posts
Guy Schlicter said:
Hi,Some more sad news for the hobby world.A long time hobby store here in NYC has closed his doors for good.Americas Hobby Center on W 30th street in Manhattan since 1931 is gone.He has a store in NJ too,that store I believe is still open.Another sign of the times,that hobbies,aren't what they used to be.Boy I tell you,I live in one of the biggest cities in the World,and very little to almost nothing now,in the way of model kits.Guy Schlicter.
The same goes for the Los Angeles area. There's one local comic book/hobby shop within a few miles of my house, but he concentrates mostly on comics and has a very limited selection of model kits. The next two nearest shops are each a 45 minute drive one way. :eek: I can remember a time when even the local sporting goods store carried model kits...I guess those days are long gone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello
I don't post here to often, but I thought I would just throw in my two cents.
Yea it is sad to see hobby stores close, but I think its due more to the Internet then lack of interest. The hobby itself seems to be flourishing on the web. I mean you can find kits of all kinds and some rare ones at that on the web. Garage kits and after market parts and most of all excellent advice and good tips from other modelers. I hadn't build any kits since I was a kid in the seventies and got back into about 9 years ago and about 7 years ago I finally got hooked up to the web and was blown away by all the work I saw, it was very inspiring and still is. Especially when I see how a modeler doesn't accept the "out of box' mentalilty and can rebuild a poor kit into something awsome like the Ertl Enterprise A.
Most of my kits and supplies I now by online, it just the sign of the times I guess.

take it easy

·
Registered
157 Posts
Well, for now at least mega stores like Wal-Mart and Target still stock kits (although it is admitedly a crappy selection). Also, large craft stores like Micheals and Hobby Lobby still stock kits and hobby supplies, and usually have a slightly better selection.

Still, as far as I'm concerned nothing beats a good old-fashioned dedicated hobby store. Heck, even Hobbytown USA's are having trouble; the one near my home in NW Indiana went out last fall.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Internet, failure to keep up with you client base, or just tired of the biz and couldn't find a buyer (or didn't want to).

Come to Denver, we've got 3 awsome hobby shops.

·
Registered
325 Posts
toyroy said:
But, they were it, in the 60s and 70s. Can't remember- did the toy shop have any kits?
Heck, I 'member when Sears sold toys and models. I remember walking from my parents church to JC Penny's and buying model kits.

Didn't some of the hardware stores also carry models? Seem to remember a hardware store with toys and models.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
kylwell said:
Didn't some of the hardware stores also carry models? Seem to remember a hardware store with toys and models.
When we were growing up EVERYBODY sold model kits. I bought Monster Customizing kit #1 and JFK from a little corner convenience store. I bought car kits in drug stores, hardware stores and auto shops.

In 1964 there was a one shot monster magazine published called "3-D Monsters". It had a section of photos in the middle published in anaglyphic 3-D, many of which contained aurora models. The back cover of the magazine was a full page ad for America's Hobby Center. The whole ad featured Aurora monsters , Weird-Ohs, etc. In my childhood mind's eye I pictures a veritable treasure trove of monster-related kits and accessories, and dreamed of going there.
I never made it, and I suppose the reality would have been a letdown from what i had imagined...

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
To add to the sad news, SE Michigan is losing probably one of the best hobby shops I've ever been in.

The Riders Hobby shop of Maddison Heights is closing its doors later this month. No reason this hobby shop should be closing. Its located in one of the 10 wealthiest counties in the country and in a prime location. There was certainly enough traffic flow. Experts in every department. The area will lose a really vaulable resource.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Zombie_61 said:
The same goes for the Los Angeles area. There's one local comic book/hobby shop within a few miles of my house, but he concentrates mostly on comics and has a very limited selection of model kits. The next two nearest shops are each a 45 minute drive one way. :eek: I can remember a time when even the local sporting goods store carried model kits...I guess those days are long gone.
Hey Zombie,
is Kit Kraft still in business? I think they were in Studio City? I could only find them by retracing my steps out there. I haven't been in LA for a while, but every trip included a visit to this place I stumbled upon.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Thankfully, we've still got a first rate hobby shop in Central Arkansas in the form of Hobby Shack in Jacksonville. It was formerly known as Jack's Hobby's for... I dunno... a really long time prior to about 2000. Jack retired and sold it to a retired USAF C-130 pilot named Daryl. Daryl's mostly a train guy, but has really done his best to keep up with all aspects of hobbies, such as models, gaming, slot cars and R/C - tho he's not as in to R/C as several of the other hobby shops in the Greater LR area.

So, if you're ever in Central Arkansas, specifically in North Little Rock, shoot me an email or look up Hobby Shack in the telephone book, call Daryl and get directions. I doubt you'll be disappointed. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Kit Kraft is still going...I think they wisely threw their hat into the "crafts" part of the business so they get a lot of female customers working on projects and also I'm sure industry people, costumers, etc., getting supplies. I live in Burbank and for some reason there seems to be quite a few decent hobby shops around here. I know one long-time shop just closed because the owners were retiring but other than that there seems to be enough people in Burbank with disposable income and time on their hands to keep the hobby shops operating...

·
Banned
2,726 Posts
I have fond memories of the American Hobby Center as I lived in Chelsea near there.Also the Hobby Place has closed its doors in West L.A.,where I worked for five years.But good news,Jans Hobbies which I thought had closed in N.Y.,moved to Lexington Ave. in the 90s.I was there right before Thankgiving and it was one of the highpoint of my visit.The owner even took me down to the basement,where he works on commision models.Very cool.Alexander

·
Registered
789 Posts
kylwell said:
Ace Hardware on 22nd St. here in Tucson still does!
They do enough business that they just remodeled the hobby area to make it twicw as large as it was. It's now about 1/5 the size of a 1 block long building.

·
Curmudgeon
6,598 Posts
Zombie_61 said:
...I can remember a time when even the local sporting goods store carried model kits...
toyroy said:
But, they were the only place uptown, in the '60s and '70s. Can't remember- did the toy shop have any kits?
Yep, the toy shop had kits; in fact, that's where I bought my very first kit (The Forgotten Prisoner of Castel-Mare). There was also a Woolworth department store across the street and another department store (can't remember the name) one block west that sold a few kits here and there. All gone now.

There are three Target stores within 7 miles of my house; none of 'em sell model kits. There are five Wal-Mart stores within the same area--only one of 'em has a small, well-kept model kit section; the other four have kits that mostly have been torn apart or smashed by kids whose parents use Wal-Mart as a nursery/babysitter. :freak:

·
Registered
331 Posts
my local hobby store which was almost across the street from where i live has closed it's doors.. just hobbytown is left which way on the other side of town...I guess this craft is slowly dying which really sucks it's just about the only thing i can really do well

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Wow, Riders is closing? I'm originaly from Waterford MI. I used to go there all the time. There and RC Hobbies in Waterford. RC has been there for a looong time. It's just a small stand alone store. Are they still open do you know? I'm in KY now and have to drive an hour to the nearest shop in Lexington!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts