Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks, I went shopping at Jans Hobby Shop today and saw the owner who I have known for some time. I was looking for a color of Polly Scale Paint and Collette told me that people aren't doing it like they used to and I think she said its discontinued. Then she dropped the big bombshell, at the end of this year Jans will be closing down shop. Her son who is a professional Model builder has had enough. The taxes are killing her Collette told me and they aren't taking in enough business to cover the rent. This is NYC and we are down to one shop in Manhattan called the Red Caboose and Al said he is staying open. He too was shocked about Jans Hobby Shop closing. No question its a bad day and a substantial hit for the Hobby Business. Luckily I have every thing I need but I will now take a few more trips to buy everything I need before Jans closes. Now I can say its looking bad for the model industry. Its almost gone here in N.Y.C. and I'm sad. Guy Schlicter.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
When I was in Michigan I had one shop that was 5 minutes away. I did most of my buying there. There were a few others that were half an hour away and I visited them every few weeks or so. After moving to KY the only shop is an hour away, and it's a Hobbytown USA. So, mainly mainstream stuff and nothing special or unique. Now, I do most of my shopping online. I would rather walk into a mom and pop shop, but there just aren't any. Boy, if I were rich....

·
Registered
469 Posts
There is something sad about the LHS closing that hits a universal cord at least for some of us who are older. Not only are we living in a tough economic times, but there seems to be a lost of the "hands on" arts so to speak. I come from a good size family and many of my nephews wouldn't know what to to with a model kit if it didn't come with a joystick or some internet interface connection. They will come over to my house an see my 22 inch Enterprise (other builds too) and not even give it a second look, they have no idea of the amount of work and thought that went into it. Building kits, problem solving and perseverance all go together, but I guess it's just not as attractive as some of the computer games and other distractions that are out there. Its too bad too.

I am fortunate here in the Twin Cities we still have some LHS going strong.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I give my local Hobby shop all the business I can. I love the place, but I don't know how long it can last... every time I walk in now, I thank the Lords of Kobol.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
For me, out here in CA, the nearest Hobby show is only 13 miles down the road in Lancaster, as there is none in Rosamond. So I have to ride a bus down to it. If this town get bigger maybe someone can move into this town.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Never been to Manhattan but I am kinda surprised that there is a hobby shop there at all. Everything hobby related I buy these days I find online and have shipped - usually from China and half the price of buying it locally.

·
Registered
173 Posts
For what it's worth when I licensed the rights to make the "My Favorite Martian" model..I was happy that it was marketed through smaller hobby shops.
The loss of these little stores is just a huge hit to the hobby which I have always loved and supported.
The Pegasus hobbies company has supported American hobby stores through their distribution..they are to be applauded for this.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I'm thinking the NYC lifestyle is not really compatible with model building... Just sayin'
Model building is still popular in other parts of the world so I think it will be around.
Guy you might have to mail order your stuff....

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I'm thinking the NYC lifestyle is not really compatible with model building... Just sayin'
Model building is still popular in other parts of the world so I think it will be around.
Oh, yeah. Belgium and Japan, for instance. Terrific quality stuff.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
That's what kills most businesses. If you don't have enough customer traffic - you won't have enough money to get by with. This is why I use automotive paints on my models. I decant them into a clean, dry soup can. Then I put them into a jar for safe keeping. I know that you guys don't use anything, but Tamiya, or Testors, and other model related brands, but this saves me a bundle on buying it in small jars. I save the old ones when empty. I recycle them and other jars for mixing. You never know when you'll need it! If some place is going out of business I buy all the stuff I know I'll need for later. The rest I just make myself. I don't usually need a lot of premade items since I make my own, but I know that you guys can't always do that. It also helps to have it just in case you need it.

~ Chris​

·
Banned
2,726 Posts
Where do you get this crap.........I was born in New York City,spent half my life there making models and working at Polk's Hobbies,and know the folks at Jans well.......and do tell,what exactly is the "NYC lifestyle?"

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
???:confused:???:confused:???:confused:???

I'm from way down Dixie Land and one of my best buddies is from NYC and lives here now has built models all his life. He might disagree with that! Just sayin'...

hal9001-

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I was born and raised just outside New York and grew up with the hobby. I too would be interested to know what the "New York lifestyle" is??!!

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Not having enough business to cover the rent was also an issue, wasn't it? Sometimes low demand kills businesses. :)
Very true, but I was a business owner and I can tell you when sales go down, for any reason, if you are over taxed, that is just money out of your pocket and food off the table. Every little bit helps, that is all I was saying. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 110 Posts