Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just kiddin' guys. I was having a Monty Python moment. Probably the fumes.

Although not something new if you've been following my whole styrene goo trip, but something that will definitely change the way I do 'lil cars.

I've been floundering around with Vitale's method for about a year and have made some minor inroads on improving the process. The stickler has always been a good color match for spot repairs or some way to use the panel blend technique common in 1:1 autobody.

Today I'm fairly certain that I've finally nailed it.

Pic1 : These are my first test shots of atomized styrene. The far left chunk is the inside of a red dune buggy side pod. It was scuffed dull with wet and dry and received three thin coats for a good film. Red on red, can-o-corn!

The middle chunk is a bright lemon yellow firebird trunk. The tampo stripe and #7 were left out of curiosity. You'll notice a fade. The far right of the trunk is one pass, then from the left side progressing towards the middle is two, three, and four passes. I was happy with the coverage over the bright lemon yellow.

The third chunk is the underside of a red dune buggy nose. It got three coats of olive and was set aside to flash. Once it was flashed off I put three coats of red on the left and right corners. A little translucent, it's shadowed from the olive below. I'm sure a few more passes would change it's character. Admittedly the red was thin as I'm still winging the formula. The olive covered better as it was considerably thicker. I was just curious about complete color changes.

Pics2&3 : I was pretty geeked up on the results of the red on red test shot.
So Joez deuce master got the nod. Fact: No matter how careful you are there will be ghost lines and the occasional inclusion, especially with a body with eight different grafts from three different cars. A lesson learned on the green XKE roadster.

The deuce is very close to completion and the underside was as good as done. The outside was tightly double masked and the underside received three passes.

It's been about two hours now and the test shots are dry and will not print. I just walked out and fingerpoked them. The fire bird trunk with the thick olive topcoat lost a lot of trunk line detail. The tampos did not bleed through. We'll see if it sucks down after a days cure and reveals some more detail, and if the tampoed areas appear raised. Also in question is what kind of over all bond will result. Of the three, two were shot down and dirty, bugs and all.

So far the color blend (red on red) looks skookum. Color changes from dark to light don't look as promising due to the amount of material required for coverage.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts