Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys went to this show yesterday not sure if anyones interested but putting pics up anyway. thanx for looking

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Thanks for posting. Lots of nice customs there. Particularly like the bare metal tail-dragger.

But that poor Cadillac in the first photo. I hope someday someone sees fit to return its dignity.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Thanks for the tour of a Down Under car show! Really enjoyed it and it looks like high horsepower V8s are alive and well there!

·
340 with 727 Tourqeflight
2,930 Posts
Awesome pics, thanks for sharing!

I've often wondered what inspired the Aussie subsidiaries of the big 3 to begin the hi-performance sedan trend well before it took hold here in the States.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I've often wondered what inspired the Aussie subsidiaries of the big 3 to begin the hi-performance sedan trend well before it took hold here in the States.
Sedans were more practical and preferred by Aussie drivers unlike the USA. 2-door coupes always were slow sellers Down Under. It was just a natural extension to offer the performance equipment in the sedans. Also related to this is that the sedans were raced in series based on production cars which meant the performance equipment had to be available to the public. The sedan also offered a more rigid body structure over a coupe thanks to the B-pillar which was important to some racers.

When Ford had the 2-door Australian Falcon in the 1970's and decided to drop it due to slow sales they still had 400 coupe shells left. It was decided to build them as a special edition model called the Cobra painted white with twin blue over the top stripes. That did the trick and Ford AU was able to sell them fairly quickly as they were the last 2-door Falcon coupes.

No, I don't live Down Under but always admired the Aussie muscle cars and have some books/magazines in my library about them which is where my info comes form. Hope this helps you out! :wave:

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I don't recognize some of the cars but do recognize the skill and beauty. Now, let me pick a favorite. It is hard but I think I'll go with the 4 door Hornet. Surprised??? I wish you would have gotten a shot of the motor in that Bad Boy.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Awesome pics and a great variety of cars! I don't know what many of them are either but the workmanship and finish on them all is amazing.
About half way through there's a little gray thing with the hood off. The whole front end is motor. What kid of car is that?

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
Some really cool and different cars at that show. Was that a Mazda Cosmo with white tuck-and-roll? And I have to agree with PWS - that Caddy is way far over the top for me, too.

Thanks for sharing your photos, Trev. Everything looks so bright and shiny Down Under...:thumbsup::thumbsup:

:wave:

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
About half way through there's a little gray thing with the hood off. The whole front end is motor. What kid of car is that?
That looks like a Fiat body, but I'm not sure.

Some really cool and different cars at that show. Was that a Mazda Cosmo with white tuck-and-roll?
Not sure which one you meant, but I didn't notice any Cosmos in the pictures. There were a number of RX models. The brown car with white interior is an RX-3.

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
Not sure which one you meant, but I didn't notice any Cosmos in the pictures. There were a number of RX models. The brown car with white interior is an RX-3.
That would be the one, PW. You are correct - I got my Cosmos and RX3s mixed up. Some days it's all I can do to keep my Bel Airs and Impalas straight... :rolleyes:

:wave:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts