Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a Garage Sale score. My sister bought a bunch of slotcar stuff this past weekend and just gave it to me. She said she gave $6.00 for all of it.Talk about shrewed dealing,and she didnt even know what it was worth. Her husband is a big Dale Jr fan and I traded her a Dale Jr cooler backpack for it all. This is a complete set from what I can see. Its a Model Motoring set #1689. And came with 4 T-Jet cars and 4 controllers and 2 lapcounters. Pretty much all of it is in individual boxes and labeled.It is an awesome 4 Lane Set. Also there was a boxed US1 set with trucks and a Matchbox set complete but missing the cars. Any help on the value would be appreciated. I've inclosed 7 pics. I'd prefer to hold on to it as I've only collected the AFX from 70's and never had any MM stuff with T-jets.Any help is appreciated with some instructions to the track layout if anyone has a good scan it would help. JR [email protected]

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea,Isaid the same. She said she asked the lady how much? and she told her $4 for the MM and $2 for the US1 set then threw in a Matchbox set just to get rid of it. I liked to died when she told me that. She was going to just give it to me but I knew her husband wanted the cooler so I gave it to him. And I bought that cooler for $5 at a yard sale. My sister love garage sales and hits them religiously ever weekend so I had her keep an eye out for the slots for me. SHe has no idea what some of its worth,she just buys it. JR

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
yowza, that's $75 to $100 worth of cars alone, by current Fleabay standards...

great haul! :thumbsup:

--rick

·
Duke Dave of Sealand
2,879 Posts
SCORE!!!!!!!!! Nice work.. wanna trade sisters? Mine through all my stuff out ( Or sold it at her yard sale...) Bet if I go back in the deep dark archieves some guy has posted about the whack of cars and stuff he got in London lol....

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
What a nice find. Bill is right, fairly common cars with some wear and looks like a damaged windshield in the Ford GT - BUT having the original boxes for cars and all the track and accessories in the original box - fantastic. Don't know about what the whole thing would go for, despite predictions there is a ton of variability on fleabay. Cars sold individually would likely bring more than the rest of the set, lots of people sell the cars separate. Some boxes with art seem to do alright, but I haven't seen sets without cars bring a whole lot. But having the whole brown boxed set even without the cars is very cool. I've got old manuals, don't know if I have set instructions for that individual set but I'll look.

BTW oldtoys1961, I lived and graduated high school (a long time ago) in Brandon, MS, even listed it on that classmates site... Both my sisters live near the reservoir now-I wish they were more diligent garage sale shoppers....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys,I'm still in shock myself. I knew my sister would come in handy for something:) I'm still looking for some type of scan of a 4 lane layout for this set. Nothing but an old Double Bubble gum wrapper was inside the box as for any paper. If I cant find the layout for a 4 lane then I guess it'd make a good 2 lane setup.JR

·
Registered
401 Posts
Man I wish I could find deals like that on slotcars. The last great deal I found was in 1976 when I bought a 59A block Flathead from this woman who was getting rid of (as she put it) all the junk her father had collected before he died. This was a NOS motor still in the original Ford crate for $10. I also agreed to haul of two old cars that she signed over to me as part of the payment, 31 A model roadster complete but in pieces(very little rust) and a 46 Ford Opera Coupe no motor with only surface rust. Also a 56 291 Red Ram Hemi(no carb) but in excellent rebuildable condition, and lots of various ventage auto parts. All of this for $10 and the rental cost of a flat bed trailer. I got the treasures and she got an empty garrage which seemed make the lady happy. I guess I used up all my bargain finding luck that day. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Ragnar, I love 1:1 finds, I'm just afraid to look. The garage is full of trashure, I mean treasure. At least the slots take up less space.......

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Interesting. Have you checked the box to see what department store it came from? It looks like it was originally ordered from a catalog.

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Looks like no one wants to bell the cat here! An actual appraisal would be 150 to 250 due to the relatively common car models and their colors. Much would depend on the feeding frenzy at the time of auction and the phase of the moon. I swear the full moon brings out the crazies and their cash. LOL. I feel that this set is a keeper, for what it's worth.

As previously stated by Jeff and myself, this ones really about the packaging. Although some collectors dig the fancy box art, the plain brown wrapper is far more durable. Looks like the individual inner boxes and their typed lables are in mint shape with one exception. Also it looks like the controller boxes are missing. The super bonus is the car cases themselves, complete with their labels and apparently uncracked. Many times they are cracked, crazed, partials, busted or just AWOL.

Unfortunatly the cars are not examples that the wacko collectors are gonna rev up the bid list on. If a guy chooses to poke in cars of the correct model, but snazier more desireable colors later, so what!? It makes a better display. Back in the day it was all a crap shoot anyway. Ya got what ya got.

As for the car bodies, a gentle bath in warm soapy water. Letem' soak a bit,then gently use a soft, kids toothbrush to massage the crud away. For really stubborn stuff a little cleanser (comet, **** and span, whatever) may be used carefully. Keep in mind that cleanser is abrasive and will start to erode silvering, or thin Tampos (graphics) if your not careful. For a finish I use Megwiers#9 Scratch and Swirl remover. Gently!

The turq Cobra gt will clean up nice. The guardrail burns on the rear quarters might need a little cleanser. They can be stubborn. A touch up of silver highlights and your done.

The white GT 40 should have the rocker stripe in silver. There are a zillion variations of this Ford so I could be mistaken. Ya got lucky with the busted glass, as the A pillars usually bust with it. I've got a replacement should you choose to repair it.

The tan Porsche 904 looks like it just needs a bath n buff. A lot of people pooh pooh this body as cheap and ugly, but they really were sturdy and have stood the test of time.

The Chappy got brushed on the hood and rockers. The runs up the door seams can usually be picked out with some patient tooth picking. Were it me, I'd delete the botched #2 on the hood and rescuff the rocker and touch the car up judiciously with black and silver where required as the originality has been long ago forsaken. Are there holes for the roll bar? Be very careful around those enginge stacks!!!!!

Have fun, take your Sis to dinner. She deserves it!

BH

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Umm, Bill, Chapparal is already missing a couple of pipes. More pictures of it on fleabay. Ford there too.

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Hi Jeff, I saw the obligatory eight injector stacks and the four exhaust on the shown side. Couldnt see the other side on any of these cars. I guess they all could be chainsawed on the passenger side.

OT: I'm getting ready to finish the details my XKE. Do you have some pics for inspiration?

Bill

·
Slotcar Fanatic
13,013 Posts
One of these days, I too shall stumble across a lot or find at some unsuspecting yard sale, auction site or fleamarket. I just keep repeating this mantra. :freak: Fingers crossed. ;) rr

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Pictures for Bill

Bill, just wanted to let you know those cars were already out there...

Happy to supply pictures, unfortunately I didn't run across where the factory-sponsored Jags were paddocked and don't have close ups from that trip. Other grid pictures aren't as clear. Here are a few other cars, I know I showed one before but I wasn't sure of these angles. Didn't know if the coupe was similar to the one you worked on years ago....

BTW, I am planning another trip (knock on wood) to vintage races at Road Atlanta next month. I enjoy taking and sharing pictures, so if there is anything to look out for that you'd like to see LMK. Usually some unusual stuff at the Mitty, and I have learned that sometimes it's tough to find something other than a front 3/4 shot when you're looking for a specific car picture.

Jeff

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Jeff, Thanx for the heads up, and the pics!

As for the auction items, I'm afraid I've tipped over the edge into customizing. The used car shuffle doesn't hold much appeal for me anymore. I may still chase a plum from time to time, but the whole collector thing isn't really my gig anymore, if it ever was. These days I'm generally on the prowl for parts scrambles, usable vintage speed parts, and suitable victims for the chopping block. I still lurk along to keep up with values, availability, and the absurd final bid prices. Gotta stay fresh ya know!

I finally decided on BRG for the XKE. How predictable! :rolleyes: I've got the windshield and rollbar sorted out. I'll probably go with the dual rear megaphone for exhaust. I'm still wobbling on which driver if at all. I'm more of a dechrome/understated guy so I probably wont plaster the final details.

As for your Vintage trip, I'm a Porsche nut, so anything would be cool. My favs are the RSR derivatives, followed by the 904/908's and 917( all models) in no particular order.

The white XKE coupe is similar to old red, but doesn't have the hand hammered huge fenders and gumbo's. Your pics really helped me get over the hump on my XKE project! Thanks again :wave:

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Thanks Bill, PM me your email addy and I'll send Porsche pics. There was a 907, 356's, 956, numerous 911/Carerra/RSR type cars, some other sports racers, next event includes an IMSA reunion, so hopefully many opportunities.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts