Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there. Me again.

Just wondering if you can help me with tips on how to accurize the TOS Enterprise. I see there are a bunch of aftermarket resin bits and pieces at Federation Models.

The bridge: Do I just trim out the existing bridge and replace? My guess is I'll have to put down a sheet of styrene or something under where I trimmed the piece away so as to let the replacement sit on. One would then have to putty the seam.

Saucer thickness: I'm guessing that's a simple matter of sanding down a centimeter or two.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I took the time to sand down the saucer thickness. It was worth it! The character of the profile was greatly enhanced. I didn't do anything about the A/B deck, but I did do a lot of work creating the recessed areas around the front of the secondary hull. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
The bridge: Do I just trim out the existing bridge and replace? My guess is I'll have to put down a sheet of styrene or something under where I trimmed the piece away so as to let the replacement sit on. One would then have to putty the seam.

Saucer thickness: I'm guessing that's a simple matter of sanding down a centimeter or two.
Yes, cut off the old Bridge and simply put the new one on there. You shouldn't need to lay down any styrene underneath it, unless you aren't having a good day with your razor saw. ;) (That last part was a joke!) I've replaced a few Bridge modules that way. A bit of putty might be needed; depends on how clean your cut was and the sharpness of the casting.

Saucer correction: more time-consuming and never did it myself. I read one time on CultTVMan's old site years ago where someone did that. He laid in a bead of epoxy putty in the lower saucer edge, as making the correct angle cuts right through the bottom edge of the saucer. I don't recall how he made those cuts were made, though.

Correcting the angle of the saucer really improves the overall look greatly. It's a shame AMT didn't take the time to make the model look more accurate, but that's old, old news. When Fed Mods still had the resin replacement saucer (it's been Out of Stock for most of this year), that part was incredible in it's accurate profile. Couldn't light it, even though it's hollow cast. Personally speaking, since the kit is so inaccurate in specific proportions, I consider the AMT kit to be an "interpretative" piece rather than an accurate representation. After all, most of these kits are invariably decaled as the Enterprise!

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Truth be told, if you want a accurate Enterprise, wait for the new Round 2 kit. If you want to build the AMT kit, I would build it "as is" for the vintage look of it. I say this after putting in a lot of work on one and still not getting the Enterprise I wanted.

·
Registered
395 Posts

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Truth be told, if you want a accurate Enterprise, wait for the new Round 2 kit. If you want to build the AMT kit, I would build it "as is" for the vintage look of it. I say this after putting in a lot of work on one and still not getting the Enterprise I wanted.

good points!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts