Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've seen a couple of other modelers photo's of this kit, and I saw photo's of one modelers completely scratch built model and I was tempted to go on evil bay and pick one of the AMT kits up for a new project. So today I get home and there on my door step sits my package, I broke open the shipping container and stared in disbelief at one of the most horrible models of a Starfleet vessels I have ever come across. I have spent over an hour looking at ways to make corrections to the shell and warp nacelles just to make it look presentable, I had planned on adding a completely scratch built interior (of my idea what a more realistic interior might have looked like if the vessel was functional) but I see I have several areas to add bracing and filler strips to bulk up the warp pylons and deflector band around the hull. The main hatch it way off the mark and will be cut out and displayed in the open configuration, also I want to elevate the main flight deck so the pilot and copilot can actually see out the view ports (granted it is a limited field of vision but everyone likes to see where they are going when on a flight). I also want to try and install some type of drive systems in the engine compartment along with a small warp core with matter and antimatter bottles and to fix the nasty warp nacelles I'm looking at cutting out the inboard recessed section that looks like an elongated capsule from the extra nacelles in the PL 1/1000 enterprise kit. This needs to be shortened to fit the shuttle nacelle and use some etched roof walk grating from a model railroad project to fill in the flat area inside. I've printed some blueprints of the shuttle exterior and interior and made interior changes to match my ideas and should be a good looking bird when finished. Not cannon star trek but it looks like a great project.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
The "canon"(seen onscreen) interior and exterior views don't agree with one another. So don't bother wasting time trying to make them agree. Just do your best.

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chuck_P.R. said:
The "canon"(seen onscreen) interior and exterior views don't agree with one another. So don't bother wasting time trying to make them agree. Just do your best.
My build of the interior will look nothing like the ST version of the shuttle other than having the walls and three view ports and side entry door. But before I get to far along on the interior I have a large demolition project on the rear of the shuttle body to get rid of its flat rear end and add the terraced or stair stepped look of the TV version of the shuttle. My other big change is I'm torn between modifying the engine nacelles or just cutting the factory one off and building a new one from scratch with styrene tube, the one provided by AMT lacks so much of the detail shown on design plans, it seems like this kit was an after thought or a what can we throw together and sell as a star trek item. The one thing I do like about the kit is the way the body half's are split, adding a strip of styrene around the deflector ridge to beef it up if done right will also hide the joint line between the half's allowing the top section to be removed to show off the new scratch built interior. I've made a scale bar in feet and 3 inch section to aid in building the interior and demolition starts tonight.

·
Registered
483 Posts
May suggest you have a look at the minimodelmadness.com correction kit for the AMT Galileo (galileo, figeroua! Beelzebub has devil put aside for meee!) Um, sorry but the correction kit appears very good.
Cheers
Geoff

·
Registered
392 Posts
Daikaiju1 said:
May suggest you have a look at the minimodelmadness.com correction kit for the AMT Galileo (galileo, figeroua! Beelzebub has devil put aside for meee!) Um, sorry but the correction kit appears very good.

Do you also see a little little silhouetto of a man? Any fool can see, nothing really matters to meeeeeeee...... this could go on forever or until we exhaust the lyrics whichever comes first.

I got this kit as a Christmas gift and while a few of my friends have built more than one in recent years, they usually take the cheap way out by blackening the windows and just keep the white color on the nacelles even though they are supposed to be a medium gray. The landing gear that comes with the kit is atrocious, too.

Honestly, this was one kit I never built before and for some reason, I had a mindblock on buying it but now that I have one, I want to tackle it, including scratchbuilding at least a half decent interior but I want to try and get as close to TOS as I can using the Galileo Seven episode.

I will check out those accurizing parts, too!

·
Registered
5,478 Posts

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
I don't recall seeing or hearing anything on screen to suggest this shuutle type has a warp drive, so to put in a warp core may be noncanon.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
irishtrek said:
I don't recall seeing or hearing anything on screen to suggest this shuutle type has a warp drive, so to put in a warp core may be noncanon.
It was definitely a warp-capable vessel, remember the Menagerie?

Also I think in the episode in which they found Zephram Cochrane they were using the shuttlecraft to travel to an interstellar destination, originally.

That doesn't mean, however, the nacelles had to have had a sustainable, full-blown matter-antimatter drive.

We really have no idea what the inside of shuttle's nacelles looked like, so it's pretty much up to whoever builds her as to what to include in them - if anything.

I always looked at the rear upper vents as an impulse or more conventional engine and the nacelles as the warp drive - whether the nacelles had internal reactors or some other type of warp-enabling fuel/batteries was never explained or addressed in the series.

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Daikaiju1 said:
Cheers
Geoff
I did check out the site, and the replacement parts looked good, just wish they would post a couple of other views so you could see what you are getting, but thanks for the information will keep it in mind if my ideas fail.

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
irishtrek said:
On the design plans I looked at they show her able to do warp 2.5 and one of the sets of design drawings page 7 of 19 of the port cutaway in the drive compartment there is shown an antimatter bottle in the general area where they were working on the drive in the show Galileo 7 through the rear access hatch.

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All right enough answers to posts. Demolition has started, last night I cut away the entire rear section of the hull, and removed a one and a quater inch deep section of the deck of the engine compartment. Then I started on the entry hatch, it looks way to wide and the angles are off, so I measured the entry hatch against the blueprints and discovered the forward section of the hatch needs to be moved 3/32's of an inch towards the rear. This brought all the angles into alignment, and I also moved he center line the same distance on the two upper doors, which is moot because these doors are going to be cut out and the kit displayed with the doors open to show off the interior.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
irishtrek said:
As others have said, it's never directly stated, but I'd argue that it's heavily suggested. Why else would Commodore Mendez and Kirk even try to catch Enterprise in "The Menagerie"? How else would Kirk & Co. hope to travel between star systems in a shuttle in our lifetimes if they didn't have at least a low level of warp speed capability? Why would Enterprise drop a shuttlecraft at the edge of a star system and let it move in for a more detailed analysis (IIRC) of the system in "The Galileo 7" without expecting said trip to take several months?

It's like the statement in "Balance of Terror" where everyone assumes that the Romulan's didn't have warp drive capability in the episode because Scotty says they're power source is "simple impulse". There's no way that Enterprise would have had to worry about the RBoP outrunning her to the Neutral Zone in the time indicated in the episode if the Romulan's weren't warp drive capable.

Logic dictates that in both instances, the inference by fans pretty much must be true.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Robert Hargrave said:
All right enough answers to posts. Demolition has started, last night I cut away the entire rear section of the hull, and removed a one and a quater inch deep section of the deck of the engine compartment. Then I started on the entry hatch, it looks way to wide and the angles are off, so I measured the entry hatch against the blueprints and discovered the forward section of the hatch needs to be moved 3/32's of an inch towards the rear. This brought all the angles into alignment, and I also moved he center line the same distance on the two upper doors, which is moot because these doors are going to be cut out and the kit displayed with the doors open to show off the interior.
Sounds like you're off to a great start with the plans you're using, as well as your initial work on the model. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
With all of that hashed out, I started framing the what I guess is either a small impulse drive or maybe ion drive ports on the rear of the shuttle, I framed the box with .040 styrene cut to the depth of the ports from the drawings. But here is where I'm making another change, instead of having oblong opening I'm making the dividers like fins with 4 exhaust vents on each side of a center post. These vents are separated by directional fins that can be angled to direct the exhaust gases to direct the craft in flight to the left or right when crossing through an atmosphere, may not work in space guess that's what thruster are for. Another change I'm working up this time to the underside of the hull I'm going to install some antigravity pads these would help direct the craft during flight through an atmosphere and aid with landing. These were never mentioned in the series or in any drawings I have seen, but I just don't see thrusters and drive motors landing or getting this big brick off the ground without plowing a trench, I did see them using antigravity technology in a couple of episodes, what's the one with the gas cloud that sucks the red blood cells out of their bodies they planted an antimatter bomb held above the ground with a anti-gravity device. So their shuttles could have used this technology also for flight control. What is the finished device going to look like, don't know haven't designed it yet. Could do like Rodenberry (sorry if I misspelled the name) did during early production, he wanted alien looking plants so props dept. bring in all kinds of odd looking flowers and say what do you think of this? Rodenberry grabs one by the stalk rips it out f the pot turns it upside down and slams in back into the container, says that's an alien plant. From the book "The making of star trek." This should stir enough controversy guess I'll go back to work.

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The rear engine cowling is built, a couple of putty spots to work on, but it turned out very well and looks pretty good.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I have a really nice article on the building of the AMT a shuttle in an old Fine Scale Modeler book "Famous Spaceships of Fact and Fantasy" that is really helpful. Unfortunaetly I don't have any of the old shuttles I built, but I still have the book if you are interested in the article.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts