·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AMT Re-Releasing Star Wars Kits?

This link came up on another board:

http://www.hobbylinc.com/prods/sda.htm

And take notice of the Kit Numbers AMT38314,
AMT38315, and AMT38316. New kits for Episode III?

Anyone else hear anything on this?

James :)

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Stevens International is also listing them so it looks like it's legit.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Interesting news, James. Since it was my understanding that AMT/Ertl had let the Lucas license lapse before they were bought by Racing Champions.
If AMT is really bringing back these kits as well as producing new ones that would suggest a turn around in thinking at RC2. They would have to reaquire licensing from Lucas, produce new box art plus the development and construction of new molds for the new kits, whatever they are. They would actually be investing money into something other than car kits.
If all this is true then there is hope yet for styrene sci-fi kits and Polar Lights.

Mind you....If all this is true.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
This is almostly exactly how the news, of PL doin' a 1/350 refit, broke for those of us not inside Thomas' inner circle.
We all know what's comin' from PL within months.
If these Lucas items don't make it to market, I doubt hoax ... more likely last minute euthanasia a la triple battle droid prepaint set.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,226 Posts
jgoldsack said:
But are the re-releases the same crappy ones, or are they making them better?
Same. Can't imagine RC2 putting money into them when they can get freebie benefits.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Edit: question deleted. Reason: left my brain at home.

SSB, I was thinking more about the lack of news and very slow momentum over at Fine Molds in putting anything out. Of course, alot went into Slave 1, but retooling the TIE with new wings isn't much outside of that.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dreamer, yes they own AMT. Used to be AMT/Ertl before.

I wouldn't have posted it on the PL board if it wasn't.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Ummm...ignore that. I was thinking it was a diff company they bought and practically closed up last time.

Just having a Xander moment.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Episode 1 Bombs.

I just can't beleive that they are re releasing those Episode 1 models that bombed so bad!! I remember racking up a whole mess load of those for .99 cents when Wal Mart was closing them out.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
eradicator said:
I just can't beleive that they are re releasing those Episode 1 models that bombed so bad!! I remember racking up a whole mess load of those for .99 cents when Wal Mart was closing them out.
That's pretty harsh, I found most of the Episode 1 models to be quite well done and a joy to assemble.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
eradicator said:
ChrisDoll said:
That's pretty harsh, I found most of the Episode 1 models to be quite well done and a joy to assemble.
A lot of people tend to tie the production quality of the product to the financial success of the product...they assume they're connected. How many examples have we seen where reality proved otherwise?

·
Oxidation Genius
31,226 Posts
ChrisDoll said:
I don't think that's what he meant. Sales were what bombed. Ertl said something about warehouses full of SW kits they couldn't sell being part of the reason they abandoned the license partway thru their Ep 1 kit releases. HiWay hobby still has a boatload of SW kits on the shelf, even after I cleaned out their TIE fighter shelf when they went on sale for $5. Yeah, $5! I'm gonna make a hell of a TIE formation display some day! :lol:

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Not the Quality!!

ChrisDoll said:
I wasn't refering to the quality of the models. I was refering to the fact that they bombed as far as sales go.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Fair 'nuff - my confusion.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Personally the large size ones (Tank, Stap, and Pod Racer) were very well done... the Gungan sub I was disappointed wasn't released in the US even though I was still able to get my hands on one thru eBay... the small scale of the droid fighters and the naboo fighter was quite disappointing... the small ones that were "prepainted" really made me say "What the hell are they thinking?" It was like they kept making them smaller and smaller. I would have loved to see a full size robot transport with the robots on the racks... or a few of the taxis. Even a few more of the pod racers would have been great (Sebulua's would have been a great compliment to the Pod Racer). There were so many cool ships they could have done. I just hope they will could out with some new ones. Or even re-do the Slave-1 with some better detail or something.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
"the Gungan sub I was disappointed wasn't released in the US "

They weren't? I saw them at several hobby shops but never picked one up be cause I didn't care for the design.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts