Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Despite it's flaws, I do like this kit. Nostalgia is to blame, it's one of my first Trek models. I saw a rerun of the "Galileo 7" episode and have a new interest in this kit. I have the '91 reissue and want to detail/accurize the interior. I'm going to remove part of the starboard side panel and replace it with clear plastic. I like this idea of a "cut away" better than lifting off the top to see the interior. The few build ups I've seen on the net only show the exterior. Has anyone detailed the interior of their Galileo? I'd love to see photos. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Hey BrianM,

I agree! BTW have you seen the resin kit from Resin Ranger? It is the same scale as the AMT but is much more accurate. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be for sale at www.federationmodels.com. You might be able to get it directly from Marc King though...

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
As far as accurizing it goes, the thread at the computer modeling board is gonna be your best source of info...

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
You know, as AMT kits go, it has got to be one of their worst, if not the worst, for accuracy. And yet, I'm really enjoying mine. I'm doing very little to accurize it, but I am having a great time doing my TOS shuttle meets Jurassic Park diorama. I'm almost done converting 1/35 WWII figures to Trek guys. I'm going out to my work bench in a few minutes to finish painting the eyes on my 1/35 Tamiya Velociraptors (and one Oviraptor for good measure). I've got the trees ready to go, the rocks ready to paint, the Plaster of Paris on the base is ready to sand, and in about two weeks it should be done. A lousy kit, but a fun diorama. If PL should every do an accurate one, I would think it would have to sell better than the Scorpion. Of course, this doesn't really answer your question....

Brad.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I hope it will be okay. I do on okay painting job on my ships, but I'm not exactly an experienced diorama builder. It's going to pretty simple. Just some dirt, rocks, trees, wounded security guy being attended to by science guy, and another red shirt stuck up on some rocks without a phaser! I was adding up the costs of this little diorama last night. Parts include

1 Galileo kit (AMT version)
1 Tamiya set of six raptors (plus an oviraptor from their Mesozoic set).
3 Woodland scenics rock molds
1 Dragon "Wounded Comrade" 1/35 figure set.
1 Set of 1/35 resin replacement heads for the above (they're just so much better than styrene versions)
Handmade trees from a local supplier (pricey, but very nice)
Hydrocal, fake sand, fake long grass.

Comes to well over 150 bucks Canadian! Granted, that's spread out over a few years, and I'll be able to reuse the molds, and other supplies will be used on other projects, but still.... On the other hand, I don't even come close to what railroad guys can spend!

Brad.

·
Starship Class
11,880 Posts
I've always thought the shuttlecraft, with a little sawing and puttying could be fairly well accurized, at least in details if not proportions.

The only thing I'm not sure I'd tackle is the curled ridge on the top of the fuselage.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
PerfesserCoffee said:
The only thing I'm not sure I'd tackle is the curled ridge on the top of the fuselage.
I'ev often wondered what the best way to do that would be. Probably not too tough for seomone who knows what they are doing! (of which I am not one).

Brad.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I"ve thought about finding some styrene tube stock from Evergreen that would be a good, close match and then sectioning it length-wise to get the right shape. I'll post pix as soon as I get to it, but right now I'm in a quandary about straightening the angle that AMT put into the sides of the shuttle's hull...

·
Starship Class
11,880 Posts
Ignatz said:
I"ve thought about finding some styrene tube stock from Evergreen that would be a good, close match and then sectioning it length-wise to get the right shape. I'll post pix as soon as I get to it, but right now I'm in a quandary about straightening the angle that AMT put into the sides of the shuttle's hull...
Now THAT's a good idea! :thumbsup:

·
Never lost for words
2,123 Posts
PerfesserCoffee said:
I've always thought the shuttlecraft, with a little sawing and puttying could be fairly well accurized, at least in details if not proportions.

You're right. I detailed the interior and exterior quite easily. The back end needs to be pretty much rebuilt but it's all flat surfaces. I did the curled edges to the roof using strips of tubing. The interior is just a case of blocking off the mystery room at the back and detailing the cockpit and wall with greeblies. There's a lot of good interior shots in the "Galileo 7" episode.

I did install lighting but it failed to work. I also scratch built the landing gear.

Unfortunately, I don't have photos and even if I did, by the time they were posted, this board will have disappeared. If anyone would like more info on what I did, drop me a line.

Jim

·
Starship Class
11,880 Posts
^^Sounds cool, Jim! Glad to hear the tubing idea works. I'll have to try that.

I don't think this board will be disappearing from what I've heard. Please post some pics here or on the PL forum.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts