Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This is a start to my model of the Bridge of a Constitution Class starship from TOS Star Trek.

This kit was purchaced in 1991 on a trip I took as a kid to California.

I had glued the floor sections together some time in the 1990's and painted the carpet to match the red/brown on the box art. I also painted the figures with the old Testor's Flat black that never dried. (Some chemical problem from Testor's at the time.)

I've since stripped the paint off the figures and re-glued the sections as well as added the railings. The grey wall pieces are awaiting a re-paint and so are the figures.

I'll probably build this bridge right from the box with the possible exception of changing the Turbo elevator doors to include the door frame top and to give the wall a better shape.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Trevor, any plans to add the "missing" stations from another kit? You'll have to modify one of the full stations into the half-station that will be to the right of the viewscreen.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Here's the 6 chairs with their coat of Tremclad Frost Blue. I chose this colour because it was a lighter grey/blue than the other computer console walls and would stand out against them. Also, the TV Enterprise had bluish grey chairs.

Here's all the bridge pieces as well as the saucer/secondary hull pieces for the U.S.S. Farragut from Scotspen and the bottom of the U.S.S. Constitution from Mark McGovern. Sulu's Console is siting on the clothespin. It's painted Tremclad Gloss Black.

Close-up of some of the grey brigde pieces. When the paint dries, I will apply a coat of darker grey to the upper computer monitor screens and gloss black to the computer keyboard tops. Finally, the same gloss red as on the railings will be added to the edges of the computer walls where the bridge crew's knees will be.

Here's the bridge sub-floor mapped out in pencil prior to cutting. I am making this lower floor because it is missing from the kit. This is a thick piece of Evergreen Sheet Styrene.

Here's the finished floor cut out and ready for primer.

To save myself the trouble of scraping paint away from the lower bridge floor when I glued the upper floor to it, I covered the areas with tape.

Here's the kit supplied turbo elevator door piece. Notice how each door can fit a person through? This is too wide for the actual TV bridge piece.

I need to make a door frame using Evergreen Sheet Styrene, cut at 1 cm in width for the two sides and header piece.

The little line below their feet is where this piece hits the floor of the bridge.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

Here's the enhanced turbo elevator door as seen on the bridge. Notice how MR. Spock now fits the smaller door. This is how it should look.

I used a mitre box to cut the 45% angle into the side pieces and top piece of the new door frame.

A close-up of Spock in the door. Now I will make a top for the turbo elevator enclave using scrap styrene sheet from the floor piece.

Here's the new top piece for the enclave. Kirk approves!

The figures of Kirk, Sulu and Spock were assembled @1991and painted with a bad sample of Testor's Flat Black that never really dried. I since have attempted to strip the paint using Easy-Off Oven Cleaner. Soon, they will get a new paint job and Sulu's head will get put back on Kirk's sitting body. (I made the change because I reasoned that Sulu wouldn't be standing at his post with his arms crossed.)

Here's the same door with the first coat of Testor's Light Grey spray paint added. Notice how nicely everything fit together.

When this dries, I can paint the doors red. I can't wait!

@WCB - I wasn't planning to go "Full Circle" with this kit. In fact, this one will be on display at the local public library on January 4th, so I was simply going to build it AMT OOB style with the exception of modifying the Turbo Elevator Door and adding the lower floor, just because it doesn't look right without the changes....and it irritates me. Spock's station will not get the viewfinder and double computer center on this kit either.

However, if you're offering me some spare bridge walls, I might consider it! :D

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Not yet I don't, Trevor...! I've got a couple of the Bridge kits packed away and not nearby at all. In fact... I probably won't be able to get them until Spring! Or until the snow goes away; they are not close at hand.

I built a "complete" Bridge about 1979, just prior to the upcoming premiere of The Motion Picture... I built my Bridge using the Tech Manual layout but didn't change the Bridge much. I hand carved the missing extra parts like the various viewing hoods and communicator spots out of balsa on the panels. It hasn't fared well over the years, needing LOTS of rework but I still have it.

Considering I had only rudimentary cutting tools at the time, I didn't think I did too badly. My painting was crude; everything brush-painted (I was still years away from my first airbrush) as well. I was surprised how closed-in the whole model became when all the stations were in place.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Anyone know where I can get a set of decals for this kit?

I have the original kit I assembled as a kid and want to redo it. When I put the decals on I pretty much just guessed where they went (the box was thrown in the trash). Most are in the wrong place or are upside down!

I dont know of a way to remove and then reuse the old decals.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
There is no way to re-use decals. When you do strip your model down, the decals will be lost.

I'm not aware of anyone who offers replacement decals for the Bridge model; hopefully someone else might.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
There is no way to re-use decals. When you do strip your model down, the decals will be lost.

I'm not aware of anyone who offers replacement decals for the Bridge model; hopefully someone else might.
I spoke to the guy who runs Culttvman's shop years ago. He said many products come in and out of availability for many reasons. I would give those guys an e-mail and ask the question about how this product might become available again. They are super-nice over there and I have bought tons of stuff. I wanted to get the light kit for Robby the Robot a few months ago and e-mailed them. They were initially negative, but then the product mysteriously appeared a few weeks later!! Squeaky wheel syndrome?:)

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Recently, I bought the Remastered season 1 and 3 on DVD and noticed a few more things. (Can't find season 2 close by.)

There's a black pinstripe on either side of the door posts that run from floor to ceiling and there are actually two 1/4 round edges to finish off the edge of the door frame.

Kirk's chair also seems to change grey intensity between episodes. Might just be lighting though. It also has wood arm rests.

There's remnants of those chrome "War of the Worlds" lamp monitors and the Helm console is entirely red in Where No Man Has Gone Before". Also, some of those upper TV monitors are singular (Meaning one per panel) as in The Cage and some are paired (Two per panel) as in the Production series. Main viewscreen is still the Cage style with some red paint added.
I also noticed that the door butts up so tightly that you can't see the opening line between the two doors.
Technically, this bridge set can be built into 4 different variants - The Cage, Where No Man Has Gone Before, and The Production Enterprise style. The fourth is like the U.S.S. Lexington where there was the High Back Captain's Chair.

That red helm in in a few earily episodes ... up to Mudd's Women, so far as I am seeing in the Remastered set I bought.

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
I thought about Pike's bridge for a few mins until I watched the episode. Apart from the how inaccurate the model is to the bridge it's supposed to represent, the difference from Pike's bridge is... quite significant.

I was watching all eps for lighting reference as I'm gonna do mine with leds. Now I gotta watch them all again and take actual notes this time.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I think being 100% accurate on this kit will drive you 100% crazy!

I just saw a mirror on Uhura's console in "And The Children Shall Lead" that probably was only in the one episode. So should this be included or obmitted?

The answer is simple...AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!

I did have an interesting idea for the chairs though... Dip the tops in that rubber paint they use for tool handles. That should make-up for the missing padding.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Just watching WNMHGB on season 3 blue ray. There is a pad on the floof in front of the elevator on the bridge. Probaly to indicate to the door that someone is about to enter, much like the old grocery store doors. Also noted that the helm and captains chair area are not as off center as when series production started.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's two quick WIP shots of my painting so far :

Here's MR. Sulu standing infront of the modified Turbolift elevator doors. I just finished painting the red on the doors.

The computer consoles with a coat of Artist's One Shot Gloss Black applied. This paint usually takes 2 days to dry because of it's slow drying rate.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Some more updates :

Here's the chairs with their Flat Black upholstery painted on.

Plotting out the carpet for the lower bridge floor. This carpet will be painted in Primer Grey.

Here's all the computer consoles with their Gloss Black, Gloss Dark Grey and Gloss Red parts painted on. Last colour to paint is the Gloss Light Blue that surrounds the overhead computer monitors.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Looks great so far...thanks for the updates. Despite some inaccuracies, I love this kit. Obviously, lots of work went in to creating it. The space ship kits get all of the attention. I have several bridge kits and plan to do several versions: full diorama (from 2 kits - already done and will post pix),
half diorama showing the familiar POV from next to Spock's station, TV studio set with crew and camera equipment, "Cage" era bridge, and just for fun a "Mirror, Mirror" bridge.

Great work Madcap, keep us posted!

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Looks great so far...thanks for the updates. Despite some inaccuracies, I love this kit.
I love it too. I always wished they had made a companion transporter room kit. Seems like a natural...

I built one of these when I was a teen. Remember using a sheet of grey construction paper as the lower floor. Have a kit in my to-build pile right now and, just this week, got in the bridge panels from Outerspace Outfitters as I plan to light it up. I am following MadCap's build closely as I plan out my own build. Would love to see pics of your bridge(s), BrianM.

Colors are so tricky. I've been studying the bridge as seen in my blu-ray versions of TOS and, to my eye, the upper screens background is a much more blue-grey than I've seen anyone use in their builds or talk about. And I don't see the chairs as blue, but white. After much consideration, I'm going to go with the colors that I see on screen or I don't think it will look right to me when I'm done....

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Colours are tricky and my camera keeps "Adjusting" itself to what it thinks is right....which is making my light grey look like white.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts