Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever had the problem of getting your AMT 18"er Contitution Class ship to line up when you glued the 3 main pieces together?

Well, here's a solution my Dad came up with in the 1980's.

Here's the same jig with a starship inside. The two rubber bands put pressure on the engines and secondary hull, forcing a snug fit of all the componient pieces as they glue together.

There are two smaller jigs inside this big one. The one between the engine is for the smaller Constitution Class ship that came in the original snap together 3 Piece Advasary Set which included the Enterprise, Klingon and Romulan Bird of Prey from TOS. The second little jig located under the saucer is meant to turn one of those 3 piece ships into the transport tug.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Very cool, Trevor! :thumbsup:

I did the same thing, but I used cardboard instead. I'll have to whip it out and take some photos. Works very well for cardboard - yours is tough to beat, being made of wood and therefore much more sturdier than mine. Pics to come. :)

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Ever had the problem of getting your AMT 18"er Contitution Class ship to line up when you glued the 3 main pieces together?
I assume you mean the 4 main pieces?

An assembly jig like that is a good idea, even though the major retooling of the kit in the mid-1970s made it a hell of a lot easier to align the nacelles properly.
. . . I'll have to whip it out and take some photos . . . yours is tough to beat, being made of wood and therefore much more sturdier than mine. Pics to come.
Hey, this is a FAMILY forum! :tongue:

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I saw the holes in the back of the nacelles. My dad and I built a jig for that part too. :D

However, I think the 1st Pilot ship is easier. Just cut off the ball and cover it with a flat piece of Evergreen Styrene and then a strip of styrene right up the middle.

Warp...how many pieces are resin and how many are kit supplied?

Which ones?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
As I recall, the end caps, rear loops, mid-engine reactor loops, secondary hull front cap and larger deflector dish assembly.. and lastly, a new B/C deck and taller bridge. I don't recall there being bussard dome spikes - if there were, they weren't very good. No decals, but the instructions were quite extensive in window mapping and specific hull markings. I think you were supposed to use the kit decals for the numbers/name.

EDIT: The conversion kit also provided a pair of clear resin lenses for the original "further back" formation lights and a small flat dome for the one that goes above the shuttlebay - something that is missing from the revamped kit. This is a detail piece I will have to try to find some sort of replacement with additional builds. I'll probably chop off the ends of a red and green LED for the topside nav lights on the saucer.

I got this conversion back in the '90s. Lunar is out of business and about the only way you'll find one is to either find a store that still might have a few hidden away (Chinook Hobbies in Calgary used to carry Lunar kits in the '90s - that's where I got this one but they long ago ceased having any of these kits) or maybe someone selling one. They're hard to find. You can still find most of the parts, though. Accurate Parts through Fed Mods sells end caps, so does JTGraphics. The Second Pilot rear engine caps has all those little holes/vents in them. I got PNT 2nd Pilot markings and window decals some years ago. DLM offers/offered B/C decks for the 18"er but I don't know if he still does. JTGraphics offers an accurate secondary hull front cap.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kool. Are you still in Calgary? I'm in High River.

Anyway, I found this web site while doing a Star Trek search : http://home.earthlink.net/~casimiro/blueprints.html

It's quite helpful.

I'm going to try and convert all the plastic parts from the kit itself and with some Evergreen Styrene. It won't be 100% accurate, (As in I'm not about to fix B/C deck) but it will be close.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Still in Alberta though?
Yes. Lovely weather we've having, huh? Nearly 20C yesterday (Nov. 17)!!!!!! Going more seasonal, but still no sign of snow.

No additional progress on the ship. I did sand some of the seam areas along the base of the pylons and the top of the dorsal, but the dreaded horizontal seam on one side of the secondary hull cracked open on me while I was doing that... darn!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts