Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thinking that if the new AMT 18"er has the grid lines removed, new instructions and decals, if the older ones with grid lines and incorrect fonts would now be worth more in the collectibility department in the years to come.

comments?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
"should" be, but hard to say. It seems for the most part the bottom has dropped out of the collectibles market. Unless something is super rare, its hard to sell..

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Since the plastic in this kit -aside from the improvements made - is still essentially identical to the kits that go back to the 1970's, I'd be tempted to say "no, not really". That's only because the plastic IS identical... I don't give that much care for the box (even though to collectors, that's important) but if the goal is eventual building, the box is really only important in that it holds the parts together. ;)

Now, the earlier pressings- with the horror that is the loop-and-tab approach to the warp engines - might be another matter! Different molds, the detailing a bit different.... those I could see being more valuable, at least to a collector.

If people want to look at these kits with the idea of "investing" in them, good on them. I have no interest in paying their demands for what I could consider whacked-out sense of value.

My .02, adjusted for inflation! LOL! :wave:

·
Registered
164 Posts
The raised panel line kits are a rare classic.
In the automotive world Rare Classic often means "No one wanted it even when it was new".

·
Premium Member
5,989 Posts
It appears that there are some folks who must have an original issue kit, period. Reissues don't seem to affect the prices all that much with dealers, although some eBay sellers don't always grasp that fact. I think our own wolfman66 and buzzconroy can give a more accurate account of this mindset.

For myself, I'd rather build a model than have it sit in a box. For example, I have a partially assembled original-issue Wonder Woman that I am planning to restore. I wasn't very concerned about lowering the kit's collector value because I wanted to have it on my model shelf.

Of course, Moebius had to muddy what had been a clear-cut decision by announcing that they intend to repop WW. So now I'm a little conflicted over whether I should selfishly build the model or wait for the reissue and sell the original to a collector. Such a person would likely place a lot more stock on having the Aurora copyright notice appear under the base part than I would.

Oy. Plastic modeling used to be so much easier... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mark...you mean in the days when people (Gasp!) built models? LOL!

I would say...maybe wait on the WW in this case. For buildabillity, the re-pop would be better done.

Warp Core Breach, my dad has one of those kits. It's built though.

I'm thinking of building one of the older ones I own straight out of the box, with, as Barry Yonner would call it "The Decals from Hell", as the Kongo as a tribute to the Franz Joseph design, which is clearly what the 18"er is.

·
Premium Member
5,989 Posts
...the Franz Joseph design, which is clearly what the 18"er is.
Actually, you've reversed the chicken and the egg, there, MCR. The kit was engineered from Matts Jeffries' designs, not Franz Josephs'. The Star Fleet Technical Manual didn't appear until 1975, long after the models had been issued.

But you're right on about them good ol' days!

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
True Mark...what I meant was that the AMT kit is the one FJ based his art on, or so it looks from his Blueprints. Also, that original Decal Sheet that came with the latter 1970's kits until the 1995 issues had FJ names and numbers, thus making the kit essentually a FJ kit.

But whoever designed the Buzzard collectors and made them into a 1/2 circle band is in a league of his own! I haven't found any picture that shows that intercooler looking like that in any sketch anywhere.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Some 60s issues will have value... the kit was sold under the Aurora name as well as AMT. Early ones also had lights inside. The more common 80s and 90s issues mostly have value when the kit is not in production. When its gone for a while the value goes up since if someone wants to build it, they have to buy a vintage kit. But, in general, the kit in one form or another has been in production for 40+ years so its not that rare or valuable aside from the very early issues.

·
Premium Member
5,989 Posts
...what I meant was that the AMT kit is the one FJ based his art on...
Oh, ah.

I certainly agree with you about the later decals clearly showing the Franz Joseph ship names and numbers. Frankly, the "admittedly conjectural" lists that have appeared in the latter-day Star Trek Encyclopedia, etc. cheese me off, since we and AMT have been going by the FJ designations for thirty years and more. The Powers That Be haven't been doing so hot with the franchise here of late - what makes them think they have to change the ship numbers after all this time?

The whippersnappers...harrumph! :codger:

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
I don't believe in the intentional model collector. I collect models to build at a later date, so I DON'T have to pay ebay prices. I have one of the 18 inch one from the 90's unopened, so I never thought of buying a newer one or ebay buy one.

Models are meant to be built, and maybe played with or blown up, but not put in a closet to age. I bought one of the original 70's Lindberg Mars Probe Lander last year, and it was brittle in some places because of it's age. I bought it to build, and will do it.

If you are investing in models, put them away, but build them, that is why they were made.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree with you Lloyd, but what I was thinking was if the build should be as "Out of the Box" as possibe since, for most of us over the last number of years, have shaved off the grid lines because they were "Innacurate". Now the new kit has them removed from factory and building one with grid lines would be almost impossible. Also, if you notice on the new decal sheet, there is no longer a Valliant or Kongo, nor are there any #8's, so if we wanted to build a FJ ship, we can't.

That's what I was thinking of for "More Valuable".

@ Mark ~ Yeah, I'm of your school of thought. Let's keep old Trek ad old Trek and quit messing with it!

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
For example, I have a partially assembled original-issue Wonder Woman that I am planning to restore.
It still isn't restored?!? You're still 'planning' to restore it?!?

That's the danger of delay, Mark, the danger of delay. I remember you mentioning that you'd got an original Wonder Woman kit back in about 2002:woohoo:, and that consequently you expected Polar lights to reissue the kit soon, in 'the curse of Polar Lights' :eek:.

And now, though Polar Lights doesn't even exist, time and the hobby have crept up on you like Elmer Fudd:dude:, and the dreaded reissue has been announced:hat:!

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
With reference to the previous post, I must just state that the average length of time for which I own a kit before building or restoring it seems to be about fourteen years.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
I am under the category of "unintentional model kit collector". I still have some unopened kits (and bottles of paint) dating back to the 1950's. I've always bought them faster than I could build them, so there are now many "valuable collector's items" in my stash that I simply never got around to building (though some are duplicates of kits that I bought more than one of when they were originally released and have since built).

The shame of it is that now I am very pleased when I hear of a classic model kit being reissued so that I may now build that particular kit that I simply have put off for decades without sacrificing the pristine vintage wrapping and price tags that the original issue bears from so long ago.

As to the ship numbering debate: Like I said in another, similar thread: "They're your models. You bought them, and you can build them with whatever names and numbers and colors on the hulls that you see fit. If someone has an issue with that, then let them build their own models in any way they see fit.

A built model reflects the individuality of the builder and expresses his or her own tastes and ideas. Good or bad. Love it or hate it. Build it any way you want and enjoy the heck out of it while doing so.

·
Premium Member
5,989 Posts
...And now, though Polar Lights doesn't even exist, time and the hobby have crept up on you like Elmer Fudd, and the dreaded reissue has been announced!
Seeeeeee? I toldja so! But, geez - has it really been that long since I snagged that WW? I'm turning into Trek Ace, the unintentional model kit collector. Maybe we should start a new forum, "U.M.K.C.s Anonymous"...we need help! :freak:

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Last time I counted...and this was over 10 years ago....I had 300 built kits on my shelf and 300 unbuilt. Then I got married and we bougth a house and now, I'd say it's 350 built and 600+ unbuilt.

I have model kits in stero! They surround BOTH walls!....not to mention my hobby store. If I can't keep the doors open, the store stock comes home with me...another 1000+ items!

My phillosophy is that if I can't make it in these times with the store, that instead of blowing everything off, I'm just going to store it until the recession ends. So far I'm doing OK though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts