Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local Walmart got in a whole bunch of $1.00 Johnny Lightnings on Friday.
There was a big pallet still sitting on the floor while I was there.
But a couple of us were not allowed to open anything; we were told that only
when pegs sold down, then some more stock would be put out.
And it contained mostly Monopoly release 7.
Most of the boxes were licensed stuff from what I was told.
By walking around the pallet and looking; that is exactly what I saw, Monopoly.

An end was filled with............
Tons of Monopoly release 7, Rock Art, Poker release 2, and Poker release 1.
And we still have a bunch of Poker release 1 still hanging on the pegs.
There appeared to have been a couple boxes of Class of '57, Street Freaks,
and the odd other non-licensed JLs that I already had.

Very disappointed. The big hoopla was for nothing.
I did buy a complete set of Monopoly with an extra '69 Camaro.
From the Rock Art, I did buy a few with an extra Elvis '65 Shelby Cobra 427.
I also bought a few Poker release 2.
And I found a WHITE LIGHTNING Monoply P/T Cruiser convertible.
I went back to the store today, and still the same stuff.

And now the scary part........
I have a feeling that most of this stuff will be hanging around for months,
even at $1.00 each. I do hope that I am wrong. Time will tell.

That's it. That's all.

Cheers. Cobra

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Sounds like you got all the peg warmer releases. That stuff is NEVER going to move. Although maybe for a buck a car they won't hang around as long as regular priced ones. Sheesh - big favor they did you!

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
60sMetal said:
Sounds like you got all the peg warmer releases. That stuff is NEVER going to move. Although maybe for a buck a car they won't hang around as long as regular priced ones. Sheesh - big favor they did you!
"never going to move", that is an understatement.
And most of them are not even worth buying at $1.00 for wheel of tire swaps.

I think that I will post some positive vibes........
We will get some or lots of muscle cars. Yes, think positive.......

Cheers. Cobra

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
For a buck those cars would be good for parts, stripping, customizing, etc. My local WM has the new Coke Goes to the Beach. I almost bought the '69 Blazer - but it went back on the peg. Any of the other new stuff appears to be disappearing. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
100 Posts
DadsCoronet said:
For a buck those cars would be good for parts, stripping, customizing, etc. My local WM has the new Coke Goes to the Beach. I almost bought the '69 Blazer - but it went back on the peg. Any of the other new stuff appears to be disappearing. :rolleyes:

I wanted that blazer--until I saw the pic at Milezone's. Sheesh, how can they ruin a casting like that. :cry: :freak:

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RobDog said:
Dollar cars are great customs material.

I've bought a lot of those marked down,dollar street whips vans for mainly the tires and wheels.The black ones are great for tampo removal and decal slappin.

The dollar JL's will work great for quality wheel pilferage or (movie car) repaints.ie:CLUE-'59 Cadillac, for the movie Pink Cadillac,or 3000 Miles To Graceland.

Rob, I haven't seen much yet that has "Real Wheels" to buy for the tires
and wheels for swapping. When more of this type of material shows up, I
will definitely be buying them. A lot of the stuff that we got has plastic tires.
I guess I will have to take a closer look at the Monoply release 7 cars for the
tires and wheels.
I am kind of sick of the Poker stuff, so don't really want to buy more of it.
I am waiting for a bunch of muscle cars to be put out.
That is where you can have fun with switching tires and wheels.

So right now I am an optimist, hpoing for a bunch of muscle cars.

Cheeers. Cobra

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
BOOGIEVANMAN said:
the state of Canada.
i took this thread as americans have nothing to fear because these large numbers of $1 johnnies have shown up somewhere here is the states. if that is not the case, then shouldn't the title of this thread be "canadian's have nothing to fear"?????

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Nope , not my thread to title, and Doba is or was from Canada, and the way he stated it was cause there as been a whole lot a piss'n moaning over nothing. Everyone was getting bent over 6 month old releases.

·
Banned
231 Posts
It was short lived but better than nothing. You should more concerned with why they are dumping cars for $1 at WM stores. Trouble at RC2???? I think so!!!!

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
BOOGIEVANMAN said:
Nope , not my thread to title, and Doba is or was from Canada, and the way he stated it was cause there as been a whole lot a piss'n moaning over nothing. Everyone was getting bent over 6 month old releases.
i could see his point with the monopoly,poker and rock art cases but he did mention that there were a few cases of the more desirable releases such as street freaks. believe it or not, there are actually a few guys that do collect the above mentioned releases so i could understand some of the fuss. aside from that,at $1 a car, i would grab a bunch of these cars to customize by repaints or removing the tampos. they would especially make great candidates for donor wheels at that price.
regardless of the releases being 6 months old or longer, at $1 a car you can't beat the price no matter what series they are from. i would even buy duplicates of cars i already had in my collection for that price. you also have many people who refuse to buy online and pay more for shipping than they would for actual cars so i don't blame them for being a bit frustrated because they have never seen these at their local stores period let alone 200 cases at a pop. don't worry though, as i'm sure there would many ticked off people even if they did show up here in the states at $1 a car for the simple fact that many of us never could find these cars in retail stores and had to pay an average of $5 in shipping on top of the price of the car. now they do turn up and at such a small price. i can only imagine the money i would have if i didn't have to pay the cost of shipping for each car i had purchased over the past two years.
as for the subject of white lightnings. it is funny how you don't see too many canadian members offering these in trade on any of the boards but the white lightning flood gates have opened on e-bay and a lot of them are from canadian sellers. i am not bashing any canadian member because there are some here that have helped out fellow americans find some whites.

you can go on to say we americans are getting bent over nothing but if memory serves me correctly, some of you were complaining in the very same manner when some of us were actually lucky enough to find a decent series in the stores even though we had to pay retail instead of $1 and finding the decent ones in stores happened on very rare occasions. the sad part is, that most of us only ever found the less desired series like import heat,poker,monopoly,coke,etc. even though some do collect them, wouldn't you say that some of you have been crying over nothing too in the past?

don't take the complaining personally canadian members. there is nothing against you guys as individuals. american members are just unhappy with the ways these were distributed in general. it would have been nice if they could have found these cars in their local stores at retail. since that did not happen, it would have at least been nice if they had sent at least some of these to the states instead of 200 cases to one single store. i can only imagine how many stores received this amount.
i can also only imagine how many whites ended up in the hands of a small child and ended up getting destroyed within a day or two. at $1 a car, i'm sure there were plenty of parents stuffing them into their carts for their little ones. some might say they are just toys and intended for children but the 8+ age limit tells me different as it seems most children seem to be weeding off matchbox size cars and moving on to different toys at that age. another point i will make is to look at how many makes and models of cars they have made. this is a sure sign that these are intended for the adult collector. do you really think an 8 year old child knows the difference between a 57 studebaker golden hawk and a 70 olds cutalss 442 let alone care????

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I have only been collecting JLs for a couple months now, so yes, many of these cars showing up in Canada are cars I do not have and would love to add to my collection, especially at $1 each. So the fact that these are 6 month old releases means absolutely nothing to me as I dont have many of them at all and would have loved the opportunity to buy some. I think it was a kick in the junk to US JL collectors to send this quantity to Canada only, while totally ignoring US stores, and US collectors.

I also agree with Pewter02WS6, about the whites, yes there are a bunch on epay right now, ALOT from Canada, but I am not seeing a huge price drop on them, except for the ones on damaged cards, or with damaged blisters. Looks like the Canadian scalpers are just as bad as the US scalpers, or even worse since they are getting them for $1, and the US Scalpers paid retail. And also look at the shipping some of them are getting on top of the prices, like the guy with the calender girls set, 12 whites at $1 each = $12, he sold them for $555 + $75 shipping while openly admitting he does not collect JLs. That to me screams scalper !

Canadians, please realize it is not the Canadian collectors we are upset with, but RC2s decission to dump ALL of there surplus cars in Canada the entire time completely ignoring the US collectors. I have not found a single JL in the wild in weeks. No old ones, no new ones, nothing but bare pegs. If GL were more accessable I would switch to them, but I have not seen any of these yet either. I refuse to pay $5-$10 shipping on top of the car price to buy one from a scalper because there are none available in our retail market. Unfortunately there are always those that do and will continue support the scalpers, and as long as that continues, scalping will continue.

Well sorry for the long rant, but that's just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
WOW - Don't know where to begin - Pewter you ever walked into a Canadian store ? You see what we have ? Didn't think so , at least three month behind, when you buy the Pixar cars you seem to have them sooner than us, we just got the second card version, with Hudson Hornet. I agree that there are good points to dollar cars, but c'mon as you said you have had your turn aswell.

As far as the Canadian Wl's on ebay, where do most WL come from the rest of the year, who cares if they don't offer them up for trade, its theirs they can do what they want. My daughter picked out her first JL's yesterday. 1 CG School Bus and 4 Monopoly's nope no whites, I still haven't found one in the wild. But if I saw a kid with one, good for them for getting lucky. They are TOY's , yes 8 & UP, unless the US just change the legal age to 8 I think those qualify as toys. Its not like this gonna last.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts