Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I don't know. It was an impulse buy. I used to have a standard gold Pininfarina years ago and I wanted to get one ever since. Not that they're hard to find at all (except pink or peach or whatever), I just hadn't got around to it yet.

So last night I see this, about 2 minutes before the end of the auction. Good condition, with G type box, great. Put a bid down. Won it! Now I look and think...why on earth did Matchbox ever think these wheel wells were a good idea. Looks like I'm still on the hunt for a gold one after this.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Well at least it's dead mint, the box isn't too bad either.

It's fun to have all the versions of a casting you like. I often do that.

One of the first post transitional castings, and yeah, it's too bad they had to go ruin all of those beautifull thin wheeled cars by hackin' out the fenders, but those wheels make for some of the fastest diecast ever made. They go like crazy!!!!

I have two shades in orange w/thin, hollow wheels,
and the first one in gold - mint, with stickers from the Giftset, also with hollow thin wheels.

The 1:1 design was ahead of it's time for '68-9.

·
Registered
763 Posts
The thin wheeled low arches orange BMC Pininfarina is still on my wants list. I have picked up a number of oranges (now have 3 shades) but all have the wide arches as shown above. This is a lovely model to collect and has always been a particular favorite of mine. It is only recently that I really moved into the wheel variations, and now am actively seeking those with the thin arches to add to my collection. It is nice to hear that these can also be found in varying shades.

:) :D :p

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Lesney regarded working suspension as an important selling point so that is why the wheel arches were enlarged when low friction 10mm diameter 4mm thick wheels became standard in place of 11x2mm thin Superfast Wheels on the BMC and many other 1970 models.I have found it very difficult to obtain sensibly priced pink and peach coloured BMCs however the thin wheeled low arch orange cars are about even if outnumbered 20 to 1 by wide wheeled orange examples.Orange paint shades seem to follow the same timeline as the #23e VW camper with the darker brighter shades on the earliest production

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Man something about those old MB's and the boxes that just brings back memories of growing up.

Nice score,and learned a little something as well.

Mike

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lesney regarded working suspension as an important selling point
those were the good old days! I remember we loved the suspension as kids. Lots of value for landing after jumps or car chases where the car could lean into the corner properly. That's one of the main features I wish they'd bring back. That and more opening doors.

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Peachy! Good luck with that one. It looks fresh from the factory, definitely worth the effort.
I should think so. My autobid goes up to 35 kiwi dollars plus shipping, I think that's fair. I do admit that on the American market 15 to 20 dollars could be more realistic but I've learned that down here you pay a bit more for the same cars...

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's the one, standard gold. Actually I like the car also because it reminds me very much of the Citroen GSA Pallas which was popular but rare in East Germany during the 1980s.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts