Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious as to how much a new - or used - AMB lap counting computer scoring system would go for, including the loops, transponders, etc. to try and get some local racing going in some parking lots or something. Not really looking to purchase anything right away, just trying to get an idea of how much these things run. At this point, I have NOT looked on eBay or anywhere else for that matter; figgered I'm come to the people here that would know where to start looking ;)

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
There are some one e-bay and from what I seen you are going to pay a couple grand or so for a complete system with everything.

They are not cheap but if you can get something going and have people show then it is a great investment.

Not sure where else you might find any other than e-bay and maybe some track is closing and they have a system for sale here on the boards.

mike

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
I just sold a complete system (AMB8800 w/ AMB20 upgrade) 20 transponders, 2 charging racks, computer w/ DOS version of AUTOSCORE and a couple other 'extras'.

I also sold some other 'extra' stuff to a guy in Australia who rebuilds transponders.

If you are willing to ship overseas...there are still a lot of markets for the old systems.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
J-Dub - FAT CHANCE

That won't even cover the price of the decoder on a AMBrc system.

I'd bet it's like the system I just sold... AMB8800 w/ a AMB20 converter, MAYBE an actual AMB20, but I'd doubt it.

·
Premium Member
8,569 Posts
It does not accept personals. It is the latest system 20 before the AMBRC. Price includes sytem, computer Autoscore race management software and 20 transponders with charger.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Echeconnee said:
It does not accept personals. It is the latest system 20 before the AMBRC. Price includes sytem, computer Autoscore race management software and 20 transponders with charger.
I purched the I-T decoder, w/33' loop, ten personal transponders (to set up for XMOD and Mini-Z's) in 2004, for $3,200.00. The best software out here is the demo of Alycat-(free). I would not get the older AMB systems, you will run into the headaches of not reading the personals!

But that is a good price w.transponders and rack!
Kid

·
Registered
703 Posts
With so many racers now having PT's, you're wasting your money on an older AMB20 system. The transponders will be old and either need battery replacements or just be dead and the hardware is not supported by AMB any more either so if something happens to it, it can not be replaced. Save up and get the AMBrc system.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Contrast what CLIFF is selling as a TURNKEY system that still works great, and being an actual AMB20 system, although it can't work with PERSONALS...it can and will work with the WINDOWS based scoring programs...vs. a USED AMBrc system. The track that closed down in IOWA just sold their AMBrc system which I believe only included a OLD Wooden style charging rack, with 5 or 6 rechargable transponders, the decoder and some non-factory loop wires and cables for $3500.00 on Ebay.

AMB Does still have AMB20 transponders NEW for sale (They are a bit more expensive then the AMBrc rechargables) or at least they did last time I talked to AMB. Also the MRT site that sells CLONED personals also has a type of CLONE for the AMB20 system...along with a guy in Australia who rebuilds both types of transponders.

A club or track could EASILY end up with over $6,000- $7,000 invested in a full AMBrc system including handout transponders, new charger, cables, decoder, computer and scoring program....

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Never heard of it, but the AMB system is and has been the industry standard for Electronic Timing and Scoring in R/C Racing for a lonnnnnng time.

I know there are some other systems used for Micro racing...but most couldn't handle the abuse the bigger cars lay down.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
ok, that may be one of the micro systems I've heard of...I believe it uses I/R instead of a digital signal, similar to the Orion Personal lap timers.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I have seen personals for AMB20 systems. Thy have a button you push that cycles 1~10 on the LED Numbers. All it really does is emulates the track transponders. The run about $90 a piece or about the same price as real AMBrc Personals.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts