Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why can't I take a $4.00 Boulevard and take the wheels off it and apply them to a $1.00 casting? Just can't do it. ..........I know it would look sooo much better, but I can't bring myself to do it. I even tell myself.."instant $T-Hunt.. but no...

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
You can do it ... Its simple.... Pop that Car loose from its blister pack and drill the bottom apart or if you really want to get CRAZY... Cut them wheels off from the axles and then make your own axles and presto... Super Duper $uper TH :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

All in all its a Hot Wheel that cost Mattel .10c to make and re-sold it for .65c to Walmart and then Walmart sold it to you for $3.99 :p

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not money thing or even a rare thing. Not sure what it is, but I have a hard time taking apart a pristine, complete car. I know that RR cars are mainlines with 10 cent wheels that are sold for $3.99, but.......... :p
Ya, I'm weird. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
heck even if you buy mattells wheel pack it turns out to be 2$ per wheel easier to find loose garage cars and just use those put the wheels you removed on em and give them away or donate them, just dont buy what you donated LOL

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I almost bought some wheel packs and I could ALMOST justify that as opposed to taking apart a car. I didn't pull the trigger though. These days it's more important to me to find a diecast base with a diecast body as opposed to what type of wheels it has. I just bought the Ferrari 599xx and can live with the wheels, but HATE the fact that it has a plastic base.If it were a metal base, I would get RR car and switch wheels. Maybe that's the issue.
heck even if you buy mattells wheel pack it turns out to be 2$ per wheel easier to find loose garage cars and just use those put the wheels you removed on em and give them away or donate them, just dont buy what you donated LOL

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
I too have a hard time robbing wheels. I have quite a few JL's still in blisters because I just can't make myself make the sacrifice. I don't think that makes me strange....Cheap maybe.

·
Registered
520 Posts
My "solution" is to acquire duplicates of a wheel donor casting cheap as possible. This way I still have an "original unmolested model" and the rest are mod fodder.

·
Registered
359 Posts
My response

My issue is that HW makes some beautiful castings for a buck but then they put those ugly plastic wheels. Answer is take the junk wheels off and put something that looks good. Who say you have to cut up a hot wheels for tires
This was a dollar HW

This is a M2

Both this and the HW above are with GL tires and wheels. I didn't like what was on either.
I did narrow the front wheels on the Camaro because the GL wheels/ tires were too wide. These Issues are why I started customizing. One manufacture may do great on wheels and tires another may be great on casting or maybe like HW they are the only ones who did a particular casting. I say buy what you like customize and keep what you Love:wave:

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
another option is the m2 wheel packs, those i will buy because of the style of wheels included. as we all know someone needs to come out with resonably priced wheels in a set. making 2 peice molds and using resin for the wheels are easy, however some of the tires will be a pain due and would require a 2 part mold as well... so honestly the best option is as i suggested. buy cheap cars for the wheels, and replace the wheels with the wheels you dont like and donate/give away the casting to neighborhood kids or make a junk yard. and sorry to say, alot of mattels castings now have plastic bases excepet for certian cars. yeah i like a diecast base but is it a necessity? not for me as its rarely seen. that and most of the cars i collect(japanese cars) very rarely have a diecast base unless its something like a GL or JL or what have you.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Plastic Bases

I agree with opie_7afe about the plastic base's, I have a love hate relationship with the metal bases. I like the durability and quality, but as a customizer I don't love cutting them, (Who could love the metal shavings) I prefer the plastic for obvious reasons. If the plastic bases keeping manufactures making them, the better.
What I don't want to see is. Accepting the plastic bases and the quality going down in all other areas. That is what I felt like what happened to JL. Except it happened opposite first quality everywhere else and then came the plastic bases. Same result though. Low quality everywhere. Sure am glad JL are picking up a bit I started this all out as a avid JL collector. Now I hardly look for them on shelves. I think I got off base of this thread. Sorry, I'll send everymember a greenmachine/WL or treasure hunt to make up for it. :):):):):):):)Just Joking

·
Registered
663 Posts
Why can't I take a $4.00 Boulevard and take the wheels off it and apply them to a $1.00 casting? Just can't do it. ..........I know it would look sooo much better, but I can't bring myself to do it. I even tell myself.."instant -Hunt.. but no...
Sometimes I just use what I have, a little paint can go a long way! this was just a test.

·
Registered
359 Posts
That great! like a Chritmas tree

thats a great idea for them........better than what I was going to do with them, Hang them from a tree in my yard
I like that Idea too. If you so choose, you could use them for target practice with a BB gun. When the BB's hit they would make a dead ping sound

·
Registered
242 Posts
What I do is buy two casting of Boulevard or Garage cars, take the wheels off, find some mainlines of other cars that have had there wheels swaped outn and then resell them for .99 cents on the bay.... Believe it or not, they sell, and I can recoop some of my money.... :wave:

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
The Hot Wheels wheel kits are a great idea, and a huge rip-off. Some great looking simple customs you guys have on page one.

I actually value rubber wheels over a metal base, though of course prefer both together.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I have boxes of X rubber tire cars of all makes with no wheels on them
same here...I try to catch them on clearance and buy the whole lot of 'em..drill 'em, toss the tires into "wheel" box...junk box the bodies for rusters or to be cut up for other customs...waste not want not...most everything is used one way or another at one time or another...then I also have friends looking for certain bodies I trade them out to.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts