Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there a difference between crystals for an am radio versus an fm radio? i know that the frequencies are the same. just wondering. also if you have an fm 75 band radio with a removable module that the crystal plugs in.... can you change the module to a 27 band and the radio still work?

·
Registered
302 Posts
(I THINK)

The crystals are differant. 75 mhz and 27 mhz are differant frequency ranges (BAND). Am wont work in fm and vice versa. On the module, as long as the module and the receiver are on the same Frequency 75 and 75, or 27 and 27. It will work. IE you can put a 27 mhz module in the 3p with 27 mhz crystals, and as long as you have a 27 mhz receiver with the same 27 mhz and same channel, it will work.

I know that sounds wierd but I couldnt figure out the right way to explain it.LOL

There are only 6 am channels I think but there are about 40 fm.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
crystals

hey man the reason i was asking is that the radio's i got from you one had no module, but i have an extra module but it is a 27 band and not 75 band like the other. just did not know if the radio was configured to work only as a 75 band or 27 band module. also i have seen the novak tunable modules that you just dial in, but only for m8 or m11. they look just like the module in the 3p. just wondering if they would be the same also.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
yes, am and fm both have 27 and 75mhz scales. you can switch modules and receivers from 27 to 75mhz, but a radio that just has crystals you cannot take out 27 mhz crystals and use 75mhz, nor can you swap am crystals for fm crystals.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts