Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

As soon as I got that Can Am racer, I set the body aside (its on ebay now) since I wanted to stick this barnstormer under a Javelin. With the original front tires, it wasnt happening since they rubbed the fenders and I really didnt want to hack up the body. I started experimenting with different tires, but with the new pickup skis, it dragged every time. I found an extra set of aluminum independent fronts I had lying around. I bought one of those reproduction Riggen chassis from Toybaron some time back, and doubled up on aluminum front and rear wheels/tires so I could upgrade another car. The fronts used a thicker front axle than anything from AFX/Tyco, so it sat in my box. The rears went right onto my fastest JL XT (which got temporarily bumped out of the Jav Im working on) and they work great. I was going to swap those rears onto the AW chassis also, but I had a full set of AJs aluminum rears and axle NIP, so I broke those out instead, and mounted up a set of black gumdrops. The front axle is a perfect fit for the enlarged holes in the AW chassis, and once I trued up the delrin retainers (chuck them in a dremel, fire it up and grind them with a file) I found I had to space the wheels out a bit. I had some plastic spacers (also from toybaron) so I used the widest ones; roughly 1mm long. Perfect fit! But the bigger pickups still dragged a bit on the rails due to the smaller diameter of the front tires, so I swapped on a set of flat ski-type AFX pickups and now its where I want it. I ditched the plastic front slot pin in favor of a tomy steel pin (that front snap is tight) and now this car screams even harder! Tough as it looks, that body is only a placeholder till my blue with white stripe Jav comes from Bud's.

Here's a link to toybaron. He's got all kinds of vintage parts as well as the repro Riggen stuff. Ive only dealt with him the one time, but his stuff is great. That riggen runs fast, but I havent gotten around to painting/mounting up a body for it.

http://www.toybaron2.com/

1 - 1 of 1 Posts