Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone remember the aluminum toe jig? It has an aluminum bar with a slot cut in it, and aluminum blocks with holes for your axles. The blocks have a knob which slides in and out of the bar, and you turn your turnbuckles until the side of the block is paralell (sp.) with the side of the bar. Does anyone currently make them? I am wondering because in a month or so, I will be starting classes back at a machine shop, and my teacher wanted me to find some projects which we could sell to earn money for supplies. If anyone could tel me if they are still around(as far as new manufacturers goes) or how much they are going for that would be greatly appreciated. I know a lot of racers like this setup because it is relatively small yet still alloes for precist adjustment. Thanks again
Dave

·
Registered
356 Posts
I still have mine. Love it. My buddy took it with him after nats and will be making a few for himself. Unfortunately, I don't think that they are being manufactured anymore.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Howler: Thats good for me. I will be making sets in a month or two. My classes start on Sept. 1st. Im not sure when we will have the other students ready, but I will probally start making test blocks a few weeks into the course. Everybody, please lmk if these are still around. I saw somone selling these on the swap and sell a while back, how much was he selling them for? I want to know, so if I do make them, I dont draw away potential customers, since he had them out first. Thanks
Dave
PS: what other items that arent being made anymore would people still use? If i can product them, we would sell them for around the "normal" price or a little less. We just want some projects and supplies for the shop.
PPS: Depending who is working on the machines, we can hold some tight tolerances for anything that needs to be specific.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am thinking they all should be ready by winter series at tracks.....we shold be able to get some out sooner. I jst talked to my teacher on the phone, hes not sure when we can get started.
Dave

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
I've got the ones you are talking about,I've had them for about ten years or so,they work good for a starting point, I usually go to my calipers afterwards to dial every thing on in.I don't remember who these were made by,but another good project would be a good aluminum bearing blaster,the one I have was made by robinson it is also about ten years old,but works like a charm.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
Dave,the one I have dosen't have the extention on the bottom like you show..I would suggest not to put it.Without it would be easyier to make..If you want I can send you the measurements you need...

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dennis: How exactly does your set work? I have seen two types: the foirst being just a set of square blocks which you put up against a straight edge, or equivilant. The second, the ones i so sorrily tried to show, have a round dowel which slides in and out of the groove on the bar. They pivot so you can feel just how off the toe is, by seeing if the block edge is flush with the bar edge. Lmk
Dave
PS: If you could send mesurments of the height of the axle hole in the block thatd be great. Thanks again

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
bojo,will be taking a picture of it today.So I will sent it to you later with the measurements..We are heading to Maine today..

·
Registered
177 Posts
After looking at the design I see one potential problem with the design and that is: What if you run the LF or RF of your front end trailing or leading (sliding front end in chassis slots)? This device no longer will work properly due to neither axle being in the same axis. Just some food for thought.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts